The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The G&DLR begins.

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:37 am

The character and colour scheme of the station buildings look really good in both day and night scenes. Great effect.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am

Thank you everyone. Still a bit of work to do but it's looking more like a station now. There's still an empty space which is looking a little odd I'm thinking of adding a stores or lamp hut there and toying with the idea of either a grounded van body or a corrugated hut. Does anyone know where I could get either one from?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:30 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am Does anyone know where I could get either one from?
If it wa me I'd scratchbuild one, since it doesn't need to be a pecific prototype, However since you've asked the question, I guess you are thinking of a kit of some sort?
A quick flick through fleabay pulled up these, dunno if anything floats your boat?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193619216515 ... SwKvRfPqPn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194200237921 ... SwJ59fLmr9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193686822494 ... SwYUpeVONI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184383535637 ... Sw94JfJHd5
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:55 pm

Oh cheers for the heads up. I was thinking of going down the corrugated hut roof, however the lamp hut at Grosmont is a wooden one and it would be nice to keep the feel of it - with that in mind an old wagon body wouldn't go amiss. I do have an IP Engineering RNAD van but I'm thinking of turning that into a grain wagon.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:12 pm

Here we go again - not dead but sleepeth.

After a sudden death of one of the main shareholders. The railway sudden found itself struggling to finance itself, with less and less trains to transport it's main traffic plus the advent of road transport the line gasped its last.

Amongst such lines at the Cuckoo branch and the Stainmore Route the line was quickly and without much sentiment ripped up, bridges demolishes and only a cinder path with the overgrown platform indicating a railway once proudly ran this way.

The reality is we've moved house.

These last eighteen months have been hard for me and my family. You obviously know about my mum but almost a year afterwards our beloved cat, Nigel was found outside out house, possibly the victim of a hit and run. Then more recently my partners nan took a gradual turn for the worst only to pass away after a sudden diagnosis. So unfortunately modelling hasn't been high on my priorities. The only upside is now we've found a house we no longer have to rent, it's ours and I'm finding it somewhat shocking that now I have to think of a railway that's going to stay where it is.

I've really wasted no time planning out my line. the good news for my wallet is I can pretty much use all the track I already have - although there's a niggle to possible lengthen it a little bit at the part nearest the camera.

There's a lovely circular patio thing which will make a nice centre point to raise steam and sit and enjoy the trains going by.

But also I'll be able to have a good yard, steam up bay and possible a cattle dock/parcels siding. I will also need to look at investing in a second longer bridge to run over the back of that patio section.

As you can also tell, we've invested in two more cats - we have a third who was originally our then Lauras nan took her in and now we have her back. she very camera shy though.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:41 pm

A sad beginning to your story, but a much happier ending, I'm so pleased you have finally managed to get your home sorted and furnished it with cats.

Congratulations to you all and please keep us supplied with more railway improvements.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:52 pm

Glad things have got sorted for you. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:25 pm

Sad news, but ultimately good news. Look forward to building yourself an empire to be proud of - just be careful the cats don't gang up for a boardroom coup!😅
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077