The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: The G&DLR begins.

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:15 am

Andrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:11 am debating whether or not to detail the interior of the guards van I'm currently working on...

Yes. :lol:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:16 am

philipy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:15 am
Andrew wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:11 am debating whether or not to detail the interior of the guards van I'm currently working on...

Yes. :lol:
I was coming down on the other side of the debate, 'cos it's only got tiny windows and I want to get it finished!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:51 am

Your interior is a lot more detailed than the interior of my coal office.
DSCI2157.JPG
DSCI2157.JPG (46.93 KiB) Viewed 5138 times

More info on my blog post - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... l#interior

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:14 am

Not wishing to hijack the thread even further, but this triggered a thought in my mind, so I just went down the garden and, for the first time in I can't remember how long, I bent down and looked through the Lower Bench waiting room windows... the fire is still burning after 4 years of 24/7/365 operation! The only thing is, the flicker in the flickering LED's seems to have died and it's just plain orange now.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... e&start=45
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Those books are superlative. You will have fun getting folks to look through the windows, and it will be worth their while :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:41 pm Those books are superlative. You will have fun getting folks to look through the windows, and it will be worth their while :thumbup:
TBH Ge-Rik, you were at least one of the people guilty of inspiring me to do this and many other things (big admirer over here)

haha tell me about it, I stuck the buildings outside to see what they would like like. I'll tell you all something - my knees are starting to not be what they used to.

this is probably going to be a long, picture heavy post as a lot has been done and being a former actor - I'm one to show off.

Also before I start, I'm going to prove Peter right what what he said about interiors. I've made this basic interior for the Station Master's house. The original intention was to have a down stairs and upstair built with some details, however, I simply couldn't be bothered. I did still want to do something but the more I thought about it the less inclined I was to do an upstairs. To have lights on in all rooms at night would leave any dad shaken at the prospective leech bill so I've opted to just light up the downstairs and an exterior lamp. I have made an interior with a hair and a simple fire place as to disguise it father I've added netting. The one problem with netting is- it's opaque, very opaque so now all this work seems to have come to nought. But, when the light is on you can just make out some semblance of life which is the main intention.

The light itself is just a pound shop flickering candle which I won't be instead, like the signal box but this and the station itself, along with all the other lights will be solar powered.

The picture is of my mum and son when we first took him to the beach, which adds some hidden poignancy.

The station interior itself is now fully finished, I've added one of my favourite pictures of Robin and my now currently unnamed Lady Anne along with some posters of the local area and a chalkboard timetable. I'm assuming the Station Master was a former doctor given the handwriting.

After about four years of being packed, unpacked and left in a shed. A fair few of the bits had broken, come loose and just got lost into the vortex of time.

There's a couple of things that will need to be worked on but I've started on the fire buckets. one of the supports went missing, was found again then after an incident in the garden shed disappeared again. This time forever. So I've crafted a new one from some scrap plasticard. I also got rid of the original sand which was just painted salt and didn't have the desired effect and after a repaint is looking fresh and new again.

One issue of my own doing was after a trip to hobby craft yesterday picked up the wrong b****y paint. Under the impression that I was after light blue, I picked up Revell "Light Blue'. It turned dup the shade of light blue I had used 4 years ago, wa sin fact, Light Green. I had wondered why the station lights came out a little too light when I did them but just assumed it was cos I had add a little water to reactivate the paint...hooo hum.

More positively I updated my original buffer stop with an extra plank and made an new one using spares and scraps of wood. This style of frontier modelling is right up my ally - especially as I can barely afford anything after receiving a £75 bill from Virgin possibly as a result of live streaming the Ffestiniog Railway whilst bored at work. :roll:

All in all some very productive couple of days which may see the station entering it's last few stages of completion in the next few days/weeks.

Here's the shape of things to come, or at least should show the shape of things to come if it wasn't for the station mouser.

In other news, after a 8 year hiatus I've rejoined the 16mm Association and pretty much at the right time. After receiving the obligatory parcel along some some back issues of 16MT I came across one of Nick Woods superlative builds. A TPO for his line...as if I needed another thing to inspire me.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:54 am

Nice bit of work that. :thumbright: :thumbright:
The last photo does however show that Peter is correct with not being able to see the interior, even if you did have it lit up especially with the window like it is. But it's your line and if you are happy with it that's all that matter's really. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Rule 1 is what I work to as most people do.
Last edited by FWLR on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Good old ST -you never fail to impress me. Those interiors are fantastic, the attention to detail is a real credit to you. I love the family picture over the fireplace. Whether the detail is easily visible or not, you know it's there and that's the important thing. Your railway is looking really good. By the way, the cat in the last photo is incredibly realistic! ;)

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:58 pm

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 pm a £75 bill from Virgin possibly as a result of live streaming the Ffestiniog Railway whilst bored at work.
Eek, is that A Thing??! The FfR webcam has got me through many a dull Zoom meeting...

Loving your work, especially all the detail. Like all the best lines, yours has developed a character all of its own...

I reckon that blue looks good - I thought "North Eastern" as soon as I saw it...

All the best,

Andrew

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:17 pm

All credit to you for detailing the interiors. The (40yo) daughter of a mate of mine came round the other day - she'd seen some of my videos and wanted to see the real thing. I had three trains running (in sequence), but what impressed her more than anything were the figures waiting on the platform and sitting inside the coaches.

I think visitors have preferences when they view our railways - just as we each have aspects of the hobby which float our boats (to mix metaphors). So, the more we put into our models, the more likelihood they will appeal to a wider audience.

However, as Rod says, the only person we really need to please is ourselves.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:17 pm I think visitors have preferences when they view our railways - just as we each have aspects of the hobby which float our boats (to mix metaphors). So, the more we put into our models, the more likelihood they will appeal to a wider audience.

However, as Rod says, the only person we really need to please is ourselves.

Rik
Rik, couldn't agree more. It would be nice to have "thumbs up" or similar that we could append to post to show our agreement, as like me I am sure lots of people on the forum agree or appreciate a post, but do not wish to add a response - just a thought :)

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:32 am

Jimmyb wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 am It would be nice to have "thumbs up" or similar that we could append to post to show our agreement, as like me I am sure lots of people on the forum agree or appreciate a post, but do not wish to add a response - just a thought :)
Jimmy,
Three to choose from in the smileys collection. :D
:thumbup: :thumbright: :thumbleft:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:21 am

philipy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:32 am
Jimmyb wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 am It would be nice to have "thumbs up" or similar that we could append to post to show our agreement, as like me I am sure lots of people on the forum agree or appreciate a post, but do not wish to add a response - just a thought :)
Jimmy,
Three to choose from in the smileys collection. :D
:thumbup: :thumbright: :thumbleft:

:thumbright: for good.. :thumbright: :thumbright: for not bad :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: for BRILLIANT

:lol: :lol: :lol

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:06 pm

I can approve of the thumbs up lol.
Andrew wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:58 pm
Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 pm a £75 bill from Virgin possibly as a result of live streaming the Ffestiniog Railway whilst bored at work.
Eek, is that A Thing??! The FfR webcam has got me through many a dull Zoom meeting...

Loving your work, especially all the detail. Like all the best lines, yours has developed a character all of its own...

I reckon that blue looks good - I thought "North Eastern" as soon as I saw it...

All the best,

Andrew
Sadly yes! I though tit was a myth to scare us millennials into being responsible adults! But lesson learned although it has set me back a month's modelling.

So yes, the station building has been finished and you could call the station finished but...no, there are still a few things to do. If you go back a few pages you'll see my original and since building it first time round I've added some now nuanced parts.

I'm quite happy with the outcome and definitely gives the feel of Grosmont. But that's not all... as mentioned I had originally added lighting which worked but the set up was not the most inspiring so I decided to bit the bullet and forgo some realism and just add the solar panels on the roof. They were just some £1 light bought from Wilkos and chopped up and resoldered...then desoldered again as falling apart trying to stick them in.

I'm quite happy with the outcome and that little effort helps when I just want to sit in the garden at night and watch the stillness with a rum and coke.
The curtain netting had done a wonderful job of keeping everything disguised during the day and letting you see the interior at night. I'm quite happy that risk paid off.

So next up is a station sign, I managed to find some letters from the works which were cheap and add them to a bit of 3mm ply which some spare wooden strip. I need to locate some more wooden sticks/battons for the mounting but is was a simple and enjoyable effort which did deeply impress it's namesake.

The buffer stops have not been painted and varnished. I could plant them in but I've now developed this fascination which solar power so watch this space...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:36 am

I think the guttering looks brilliant. Is that 3 smiley's :roll:

The lights are also very good, they show a very atmospheric night scene. Well done. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Like your'e buffers too.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:37 am

The character and colour scheme of the station buildings look really good in both day and night scenes. Great effect.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am

Thank you everyone. Still a bit of work to do but it's looking more like a station now. There's still an empty space which is looking a little odd I'm thinking of adding a stores or lamp hut there and toying with the idea of either a grounded van body or a corrugated hut. Does anyone know where I could get either one from?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:30 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am Does anyone know where I could get either one from?
If it wa me I'd scratchbuild one, since it doesn't need to be a pecific prototype, However since you've asked the question, I guess you are thinking of a kit of some sort?
A quick flick through fleabay pulled up these, dunno if anything floats your boat?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193619216515 ... SwKvRfPqPn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194200237921 ... SwJ59fLmr9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193686822494 ... SwYUpeVONI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184383535637 ... Sw94JfJHd5
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:55 pm

Oh cheers for the heads up. I was thinking of going down the corrugated hut roof, however the lamp hut at Grosmont is a wooden one and it would be nice to keep the feel of it - with that in mind an old wagon body wouldn't go amiss. I do have an IP Engineering RNAD van but I'm thinking of turning that into a grain wagon.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:12 pm

Here we go again - not dead but sleepeth.

After a sudden death of one of the main shareholders. The railway sudden found itself struggling to finance itself, with less and less trains to transport it's main traffic plus the advent of road transport the line gasped its last.

Amongst such lines at the Cuckoo branch and the Stainmore Route the line was quickly and without much sentiment ripped up, bridges demolishes and only a cinder path with the overgrown platform indicating a railway once proudly ran this way.

The reality is we've moved house.

These last eighteen months have been hard for me and my family. You obviously know about my mum but almost a year afterwards our beloved cat, Nigel was found outside out house, possibly the victim of a hit and run. Then more recently my partners nan took a gradual turn for the worst only to pass away after a sudden diagnosis. So unfortunately modelling hasn't been high on my priorities. The only upside is now we've found a house we no longer have to rent, it's ours and I'm finding it somewhat shocking that now I have to think of a railway that's going to stay where it is.

I've really wasted no time planning out my line. the good news for my wallet is I can pretty much use all the track I already have - although there's a niggle to possible lengthen it a little bit at the part nearest the camera.

There's a lovely circular patio thing which will make a nice centre point to raise steam and sit and enjoy the trains going by.

But also I'll be able to have a good yard, steam up bay and possible a cattle dock/parcels siding. I will also need to look at investing in a second longer bridge to run over the back of that patio section.

As you can also tell, we've invested in two more cats - we have a third who was originally our then Lauras nan took her in and now we have her back. she very camera shy though.