The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:33 pm

Looking good - and I'm planning to get one of those station buildings, but in brick so will be watching your build with interest!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Top stuff - will be looking forward to see yours too. This building above all seems great for adding stuff to it.

One of the reasons for the interior was that I'm going to be adding lights to it. I have a station masters house too but I don't think I'll be doing anything as intensive as this build (curtains help everything!)

I've managed to make some further headway today as a student rep meeting was avoided since my missus locked me in the house (accidentally, she says!)

The doors don't really match the outside design but I'm not too fussed about that. I've made a table for the booking office and some benches for the waiting room.

Most of the interior work is ready for painting all that I needs making is a small fireplace to add logic or the chimney hopefully this should come about in the next few days.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:34 pm

More work on the station building itself.

All of the major components are now built up ready for painting and this partial mock up shows how some of the layout will look.

One of the final major builds was the fireplace - I think there should be enough room for the door to open...not that it does in reality.

One further component that I had almost gotten was the chair for the station master!

Tomorrow should hopefully start seeing the interior paint jobs taking affect.

Does anyone have anyone have any images of station master's desks so I can add legitimate clutter onto it?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 am

Sylvian Tennant:122578 wrote:
Does anyone have anyone have any images of station master's desks so I can add legitimate clutter onto it?
Just as long as there is enough room for a mug of tea I wouldn't bother too much about it.
Looking very good so far, the painting will really bring it to life.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Brilliant - blimey you are setting an example for this that i'm not sure i'll be able to follow (gulps involuntarily!) - When I've a mo I'll post up pics of the pub I built from Modeltown, not in the same level of detail as yours, but like yours I have modded it to make it more pub like.

Will post over the weekend

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:04 pm

While munching my lunch at my desk at work, I've done a quick trawl of the internet for you - here is one, it is american but does feel about right of what one might look like on any railway

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Or if you look down this webpage, there is a good photo of the desk in there - allegedly 'untouched since 1948' - although note it is a Daily mail article so you can take most of the sensation out with a pinch of salt!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -sale.html

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Thank you for you kind comments - painting has started but as per work, uni and the missus hinder my efforts slightly. I do like your progress on your line Peter.

Excellent work Mark - they'll come in really useful as there is just the little accessories to build up for it atm. Luckily I tend to have an aversion of the Daily Mail but I guess it has given some good reference photos there.

Never put your work down! truth be told I'm not a by-the-book modeller and in real life this work might not look as impressive. It's very much a quick check with the steel rue - looks good job.

One suggestion - Wilko are stocking garden equipments. I'd defiantly invest in wooden plant labels - alternatively and far more easily available are lollipop sticks from most stationary retailers (I bought a load from Boxes). Also, if you're building kits from the likes of IP Engineering -Keep the frets (or leftover parts). They have proved incredibly useful for wagon parts and adornments.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 am

This is looking good.

I keep too much scrap bits from kits, off cuts, etc but you end up using them one day.  For example, the broken Accucraft axle boxes that were in my junk yard for years outside made it onto my inertia wagon.

The IP wooden frets are also useful and have been used to strength interiors of wagons and door frames.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 pm

I promised you a few pics of my Modeltown pub - here you go

As you've all can see from the great station building being built in this subject area, these kits are great for bashing - I added lighting and found an image of a pub interior and resized it on the computer to make it seem to scale - likewise, the front window fill that comes with the kit didn't feel right for my layout so i fitted a see through front window and then used coffee sticks to create some privacy to those sitting inside for part way up the window.

This will be going next to my station at Junction as the railway watering hole - just creating the road it will sit on then I'll need to bed it into its surroundings - although it will be one of the buildings I'll bring in during the winter - although as i said earlier, I think your station building knocks my efforts out of the park!

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 pm

I love it! it really captures the essence of ones own 'local'. Out of curiosity has any details been placed upstairs at any chance and is it lit.

I'm really just asking as I have a station masters house to build and unsure as to whether or not I should add some details in. I'm defiantly considering partitions, painting and lighting but I just thought that adding some curtains would help to just give it the impression of someone living there but not having to build a full kitchen unit, beds, chairs etc as time, effort and materials are limited.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi - upstairs has had curtains added and there is a light, like downstairs.

I am planning to pop some scaled down wallpaper as the back wall upstairs, like I've done with the pub downstairs

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:27 pm

great interior lots of nice detail

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:13 pm

It's some really nice and effective work there.

So the interior painting work is pretty much complete now. Still need to make up some bits (inc mug of tea) for the desk and maybe hand a time table and picture of the grand station master and his little apprentice.

I'm quite proud of my brick work for the fireplace.

More to come soon.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:45 pm

The station building is now about 80% complete. I need to add a couple of extra details, something to place the lights on, fire buckets and paint it up.

More to come soon :)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:20 pm

looking good

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:23 pm

hello chaps and chappesses.

Here's the station building so far. Not complete my any means but well on the way. All that's really left to do is paint the roof and chimney, add the little details to the interior & exterior, glaze the windows and add signage and posters around it. The fire buckets are from GRS with table salt sprinkled over superglue and painted Revell Africa Sand/Brown. i decided to leave the canopy and seating off as I already have some to place elsewhere on the station Grosmont doesn't have a canopy. plus i felt they looked a little toylike in appearance.

As you can see I've added some lighting - but in the form of pound shop battery realities which give a lovely warm flicker - they are very easily removable and due to the height of the building itself in relation to the windows don't obscure anything inside. I bought a load with this in mind - as well as lighting my future signals and carriages.

I may also consider slots for the roof as this weather recently could see the roof itself exploring next doors garden. Also on consideration is guttering as it adds some detail and logic to the building itself.

Once this is done I shall start work on the tower tower and Staton masters house as they are both represent Stonework so can paint them both at the same time.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:01 pm

great building I like the idea with the lights and I love the colours you have painted it

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Station Building complete! well almost (i'll probably be almost forever)

But for all intensive purposes it's done. All that's needed is some clutter for the station masters desk and some figure (something maybe Doctor Who related ;) before Capaldi shuffles off)

The bits I had considered putting on I ended up just adding as it'd be irritated by them.

I'm quite happy with the outcome but now onwards! to the station masters house. Apologies for all the pictures of stuff you may have seen before.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm

That's looking really good fella. I'm so impressed with the internal detail. The blackboard must have been a mind bender!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"