The Hollycross Railway Company!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: The Hollycross Railway Company!

Post by pippindoo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Rain stops play so I'll close with a couple of views from Hollycross Signal Box, where we find the diesel ticking over on the newly laid pointwork, in typical signal box surroundings of bird feeders, wind chimes and rain! It also shows the side garden which I hope to broach with an out and back loop in the future, watch this space.
SAM_1965.JPG
SAM_1965.JPG (334.66 KiB) Viewed 7503 times
Looking the other way, all's quiet and still but the flowers add some colour to an otherwise dismal day.
SAM_1966.JPG
SAM_1966.JPG (327.14 KiB) Viewed 7503 times
I built the summerhouse from scratch and it already has a wooden rocking chair and an old battery clock set up in it. The clock ticks very slowly and it struck me yesterday that sitting there, listening to the rain and the odd birdsong, I could easily have been in the box at Blea Moor, awaiting 'Call Attention' for the Up Thames-Clyde. Its a marvellous hobby this!......
Last edited by pippindoo on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Strange isn't it? That tree has been there for years and never caused you a problem before.... I bet you have enjoyed it and will continue to do so as it offers shelter and shade. I love my trees and hate the idea of having to remove any.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:34 pm

I moved in here 12 months ago Peter and the trees had been left to go mad, they were very untidy, but after getting them sorted, they're starting to bloom and really add colour. The one that I wrote about gets covered in yellow during summer and spent weeks FULL of bees! It was buzzing 24/7 as they collected from it, fascinating to hear and watch, and they never came down and caused any grief. I'm looking forward to a repeat this year. As far as the railways concerned, I can easily work round the trunk, I love trees too, theres no way its coming down. I've got nestboxes all over and the garden attracts all manner of wildlife. All adds to enjoying the place!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 pm

It sounds like you've got a great garden. We love the birds we get in ours. Trees definitely help.

I cab rode with quite a few Leeds drivers when I was PWSM at Nottingham, they were invariably good company. I have fond memories of 8151 too when it was based at Butterley (more years ago than I care to remember now!)

Your track bed construction looks really good. It's clearly been built accurately and carefully and the benefits of that shine through. I'm looking forward to seeing the trains running over it.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:42 am

A little further! I need to sort out ordering more Filcris before too long but the lads have cracked on regardless and all 3 roads are connected up and secured on temporary battens. It wont be too much of a job to pop the top deck sections in place, and then re-jig and secure the track at a later date. I may ease the curves a little bit at the same time but will wait for a nice day when I can get a loco in steam and do a few run throughs beforehand. Starting to all come together a bit now, the Gaffer will be pleased!
SAM_1967~2.JPG
SAM_1967~2.JPG (173.32 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
SAM_1968~2.JPG
SAM_1968~2.JPG (158.82 KiB) Viewed 7427 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:35 am

I like your garden layout and how the railway flows with it, much more interesting than mine.

Next house I will be demanding raised beds, stops dogs destroying everything and allows a railway to sneak in at waist height :thumbup:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm

I know the things with dogs.. :roll: Though raising the track takes a lot of problems away (depending on the size of them though). Nicely done, one can enjoy the trains at eyeheight on some areas here and the trackwork stays nice and tidy.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks Tom and Daan, I've done quite a bit in the garden since I moved in a year ago, always mindful that I wanted a railway, as it happens, it's all happened quicker than expected! I had a cat until recently (he was just short of 21) but know what you mean about dogs, and I'm very watchful when the grandkids are visiting, love em to bits but......!! Welcome to the forum Daan, I'm sure you'll find as much help, inspiration and knowledge as I have. A couple more piccies to hopefully whet your appetite....
SAM_1969.JPG
SAM_1969.JPG (332.66 KiB) Viewed 9554 times
The afternoon Passenger gets underway from the (very) recently laid Hollycross platform, as Albert waits to follow with a Goods train, providing of course he manages to get some pressure up...
SAM_1970.JPG
SAM_1970.JPG (332.31 KiB) Viewed 9554 times
Looking the other way, you'll see the recently documented steaming bay and THAT tree in the distance, so get an idea of the general layout of things. Cheers for now!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome! About grandchildren: since my line is 45mm track, I have some Playmobil trains for them to play with. On 32mm track, there where so called "Faller Playtrains". I still have them from my youth and on Ebay.de they come so and then. It's not that expensive and really fun for kids. They run on batteries and use switches on the locomotive, you could even build in a simple radio control in it I guess.

That way your trains will not be in risk when them visiting and they have a lot of fun too. :D
Absolutely nice trains by the way!

Cheers Daan.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 am

Well, a very bright, sunny day yesterday turned thoughts towards raising steam, so the gap between the two sections was bridged (very!) temporarily to allow NOBBY to have a trundle round with a few wagons. It wasn't long before inquisitive neighbours turned up resulting in an Easter egg! and quite a few free plants for the garden. Nice one!
SAM_1996.JPG
SAM_1996.JPG (333.64 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
SAM_1995~2.JPG
SAM_1995~2.JPG (209.4 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
And guess who had to get in on it all!.....
SAM_1998~2.JPG
SAM_1998~2.JPG (176.61 KiB) Viewed 9456 times

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Even the very temporary bridge looks solid , apart from the clamps that is.. :lol:

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Fantastic! Your line has really become a part of the landscape. I particularly LOVE the shot of the level crossing over the path.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm

I like the idea of trains running over a patio.

Have you placed rails inside the channels you have cut in the paving slabs?

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:25 pm

As I've said elsewhere, I just tend to get stuck in without too much planning then just 'make it work'! The temporary bridge is a bit of spare floorboarding bought for the roof of the summerhouse I built. It does look a bit precarious but was actually also resting on some screws too so sits quite stable even with the train rattling across it. When I do the bridges 'proper', they'll be a lot more secure! The crossing is shown in the very first photo back on page 1, or at least the relevant breeze block is shown. Then scroll down that page and you'll see that any stones I dug up were thrown either side of it as hardcore for the path that followed. I laid the flags on a sloppy cement base, tapping them down to be 'as near as' level with the track railhead either side. I then simply threw cement into the gap between the flags, covering the track, smoothed it off with the trowel, ran a screwdriver against each rail to form the flangeways, and waited for it to dry off. When it was nearly set, a damp sponge and old paintbrush tidied it up and the result is as seen. Easy really! As the ladies in the BOOTS advert say, Ta Da!!

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Just nipped out and grabbed a couple of piccies if it helps. The flags are cheapy ones as seen in all garden centres/DIY places. I bought half a dozen, 3 were used in Three Flags Tunnel, self explanatory!!, The others formed the path and crossing, one being cut diagonally with an angle grinder to go either side of the track. You can just make out the chairs which hold the rails in place. I noticed too, that the train actually rumbles as it crosses the path, the wheels crushing any dust that's settled in the flangeways. Brings a tear to me eye it does....
SAM_2001.JPG
SAM_2001.JPG (324.31 KiB) Viewed 9239 times
SAM_2003.JPG
SAM_2003.JPG (322.95 KiB) Viewed 9239 times
Last edited by pippindoo on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the pics - I can see what you have done now :thumbup:

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Greetings!!! Again, looonnngg absense, this time caused by illness :cry: and holiday travels :sunny: but back with a BANG now, hopefully! The line got pretty much left alone for a while, and its the wrong time of year really to be doing much to a garden railway but...... Just to bring things up to date, I have laid in the top part of the out and back branch line which WILL reach the front garden eventually. The photos show it starts its descent immediately after Hollycross Station Junction, and the ruling gradient is 1:45....ish. As I said earlier, trains will have to work on the way back!
IMG_20171017_151537~2.jpg
IMG_20171017_151537~2.jpg (1013.37 KiB) Viewed 8992 times
IMG_20171017_153043~2.jpg
IMG_20171017_153043~2.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 8992 times
Further news is that the strawberry patch 'disappeared' and was turfed and a small block paved area provided from where I can watch trains make their way down and up the gradient, whilst enjoying a drink of something suitable.
IMG_20171017_160853~2.jpg
IMG_20171017_160853~2.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 8992 times
The branch line will be basically below the main line and run parallel to the wall. The bottom fence rail behind the seating area roughly marks the bottom of said gradient, and from there, the line will cross yet another bridge over the steps from the bottom gate and go round a loop in the front garden before tackling the climb back up. It says here...
Anyway, nice to be back on my feet and hopefully it wont be too long before Ive some further progress to report. Cheers for now!
Last edited by pippindoo on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:57 am

That's definitely a railway garden. Good to see you back.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 am

Looks like you've made clever use of a difficult site. Will follow the next phase with interest.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Very nice, the plants have defiantly matured in the later pictures and it seems to help the railway blend in to the garden.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!