The Leawarra Nayook Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Leawarra Nayook Railway

Post by LNR » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 am

Hi Mitch,
The Hunslet is a steel body on an extended Lady Anne chassis kit. It was my first loco in this scale.
Grant.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 am

First Steam Run for 2020.
It rained lightly here most of the night, which cleared the smoke from our atmosphere. Eager to boil some water I gave the Lumberjack a run between the raindrops.
P1050006.JPG
P1050006.JPG (201.12 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
P1050002.JPG
P1050002.JPG (157.18 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
P1050011.JPG
P1050011.JPG (193.07 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:55 am

Another great set of pictures, Grant.

Thanks for the info on loco weathering. Must admit that, apart from a couple of diesels, I've resisted weathering my steam outline locos but, as you say, the railways our layouts represent would have limped along with increasingly ageing and patched-together rolling stock. I can see the advantages of a decent airbrush for subtle weathering techniques. I think I'll have to try seeing what I can achieve with weathering powders.

Intrigued by how many levels you seem to have on your railway. I assume your yard has quite a severe slope.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:19 am

Thanks Rik,
In answer to your query on levels of my railway, and something maybe I should have posted much earlier, below is a track plan that I hope comes out large enough to read.
When I had 5" gauge, I had track on a 1in40 down the side, but I've terraced that into two levels for 45mm gauge. So Leawarra runs from 1240mm down at the turntable/workshop end down to 650mm at the footbridge. the rest is on the upper level and extends out over the lower level on posts shown in the last two pics. of the Lumberjack above. I can't remember the grade indicated on the plans top and right hand side, it's not severe but does mean you have to drive an engine. There has been subsidence in places, but being laid in 5ft lengths of flex track they're all gentle.
Trackplan.jpg
Trackplan.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 am

Lovely pictures Grant, thanks. The trackplan is useful as well.
Like Rik, I've also been wary about weathering. My attempts in years gone by have never really satisfied me. I think its probably due to me being too impatient and wanting instant results, rather than slowly building up subtle effects. That and the fact that I really have no eye for colours and how to mix them to achieve a finished effect.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 am

Glad you are safe from the fires Grant.

If you have any photos of your 5" gauge days I would be interested to see them.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:55 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 am Glad you are safe from the fires Grant
Ditto! The grass certainly looks dry...

Thanks for the plan, I'll enjoy refering to that when you post pictures of the various operations on your line...

All the best,

Andrew.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 am If you have any photos of your 5" gauge days
That was a long time ago Tom, many photos but all taken on slides, so unable to post here. Sorry.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:33 am

Great seeing your brilliant line plan Grant. Love the shot over the bridge..

Hope you're not in any danger over there. And all of your fellow countrymen and women too. It's something that is very frighting to see and hear. Last night's news here told us about the young recently married couple who have just watched there home burn down, only saving their passports and a few belongings....Very sad..

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:31 am

Those reading the LEAWARRA GAZETTE noticed an article on Grays Sawmill, stating that with land values and rates going up it was becoming harder to mill timber at Leawarra and still turn a profit. The directors backed by the Accountant, have decided at a meeting of the Board to offer the large acreage for sale by public auction at a date to be fixed. Although this may mean job losses, it is hoped that many of the men currently working at Leawarra, will continue working at a new mill to be established on a timber tramway running from the present siding at Warringine.
The mill presently being constructed along with a tramway constructed to very high standards is taking shape as we speak. The tramway will involve some steep grades but the Engineers have assured the board that the locomotive they currently own, should handle the loads required. Whilst much building is still going on timber is already being produced.
Work started with a dozer removing the log ramp from the siding and preparing the ground for the new Tramway right of way.
New Tramway 1.jpg
New Tramway 1.jpg (185.33 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Showing a typical grade the locos will face against the load.
New Tramway 3.jpg
New Tramway 3.jpg (230 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
The points on the siding are LNR property, with anything beyond them being Tramway owned, however strict rules will apply to Tramway stock running on LNR metals.
Grant.

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 am

Looking good Grant! where will the mill be located and will it have a run around loop and do you have a plan of where it will sit on your line?
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 am

Too many questions too early I'm afraid Mitch, Ive only just finished testing steam locos on the grade to know it will work. It will basically be an off line shunt with a loco maybe pushing a load up the grade in order to be facing the right way to run to Leawarra. Sort of very loosely based on the Tyers Valley Tramway with a more usable connection at "Collins Siding" ah la "Gray's Siding" on the LNR.
Grant.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Very exciting! It's always intriguing to see freshly laid track striking out into the unknown. Or just across the lawn. I look forward to seeing further progress in due course...

All the best,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Only just caught up with this thread. Thanks for the trackplan. It makes a lot of sense now.

I do like the way your stations are laid out with plenty of space. Adds to the rural charm

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I do like the way your stations are laid out with plenty of space. Adds to the rural charm
Hi Grant,

I have to agree with Rik, it's the space that produces such realism too. I think its one of the biggest elements of creating 'reality in miniature' and yet probably the most scare resource we have as modellers.

I love the new Tramway. Out of interest, do you know what the gradient actually is?

Keep up the good work, thanks for posting the pictures.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 pm do you know what the gradient actually is?
Actually no Andrew, a rough check with the spirit level off the mainline which was level originally showed a drop of 12" over 29ft. I collected more track (Brass this time) yesterday and once laid I may have a better idea. Load tests showed the lumberjack starting a load of 5 bogie wagons, including two log trucks with three real logs a piece which are quite heavy, on the grade which is more than will ever be pulled out of there I suspect, so convinced me to go ahead with the idea.
Grant.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Sound, practical engineering at its best Grant. I love it!

keep up the good work

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:59 am

A small gathering of interested parties were there to witness the first load of sawn timber to come from the new Gray's mill site. It was a wild and windy day but the press were there taking photo's as the loco sat in the Warringine siding. The tramway construction lagged behind the building of the mill and there is a small backlog of sawn timber to go to Leawarra hence the Sunday opening.
Tramway Opening 2.JPG
Tramway Opening 2.JPG (266.43 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
The camera caught the loco bringing up the first load on the new trackwork, there are no run-round facilities at Warringine so the loco pushes the load up the grade into Warringine.
Tramway Opening 3.JPG
Tramway Opening 3.JPG (254.23 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
Having entered Warringine yard the loco is about to proceed out onto LNR metals (watched by LNR staff)
Tramway Opening 5.JPG
Tramway Opening 5.JPG (211.86 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
Tramway Opening 7.JPG
Tramway Opening 7.JPG (220.13 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
The first load on its way to Leawarra.
Tramway opening 8.JPG
Tramway opening 8.JPG (245.53 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
Later in the afternoon the loco returned with empties, by which time most had gone home.
Tramway Opening 10.JPG
Tramway Opening 10.JPG (291.99 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
The day seemed a success, the engine crew said they did have trouble maintaining a fire in the gale force winds.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:26 am

Absolutely fabulous, Grant.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:38 am

Superb Grant, I can't wait to see a copy of the write-up as printed in the local newspaper, the photographs tell a wonderful story.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?