Vale of Ddualt light railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Time for a update! although i still haven't got round to completing the spiral as i am still debating different options for the track plan of the station at the bottom I have progressed with other areas of the line and apart from a few gaps here and there all the track bed is now complete :lol:. The main progression is the construction of the "long drag" section of my line along the left Fence, I have used the wood "stretcher" technique by using two wooden battens (supported by the posts) spaced apart supporting the planks on top; I just need more track to complete that section. Also I have acquired a large amount of slate which is ideal for starting to make things look a bit more "Welsh" and to build embankments and cuttings with. Finally the swing bridge is now connected up to the drop in corner section built a while ago and a well positioned swing bridge "buffer" means the track lines up correctly so after purchasing more track i will soon be bale to run a train around the whole large loop which practically loops round the whole of the garden.

Steam is highly under rated

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Great work Joe.

It's good to see your railway coming together so well now. Well worth all the effort that you've put in.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Cheers Andrew, yeah its good to be able to now run some decent length trains with a much reduced risk of serious harm being inflicted don the lines passengers!

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Well the spiral is now finished (as far as the trackbed is concerned) and the first open day has been and gone with generally all going well. My next project will be to continue adding scenery on the other sections of the railway. I decided to stick with just a passing loop at the bottom of the spiral which will mean i can run bi directionally by using the other passing loop on the raised section; there is also the possibility of adding a siding at the bottom of the spiral towards the buddlea as after an open day the need for more stock storage space was highlighted.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:17 am

Coming along in leaps and bounds Joe, bet your happy with the progress. Amazing the difference all the plantings make, really starting to blend in. That swing bridge is a marvel too.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:18 am

Your line is really coming on Joe. Anymore pics of the open day?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi Joe,

Grant and Jim are right, the way your line has come together is remarkable. You're making a cracking job of it. Looking back at some of the early shots it's hard to believe it's the same line now it's becoming established in it's surroundings. From your comments you are clearly enjoying operating it and developing it further. Keep us posted.

Andrew

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for all the continued support all, its been a long journey but ive got to the stage now where i no longer have to rush what i am doing as trains are able to run the full circuit. I already have plans to continue with the scenery with some quite ambitious projects and being inspired by other lines I intend to add a little slate quarry behind the spiral. Heres some more photos Jim but on a my second open day.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 pm

As mentioned earlier work has begun on a slate quarry area behind the spiral although due to the small scale of the site perhaps more of a waste slate dump site. Anyway ive experimented with building a foam board hut which i have covered in exterior polyfiller and added slate chippings. For the roof i have applied ex polly but drawed in tile shapes which dont look to bad at all. The bank surrounding the hut is mostly made up of spare builders sand which chippings are added on top of; i intend to lay track where the bricks are laid when finances allow

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Nice work Joe, your waste tip looks really good. It will look even better when you can add the track. A great way to add scenery to a tricky corner!

Andrew

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Some recent (ish) photos.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Looking good Joe. The landscape is really starting to establish itself, it's going to look better and better with each passing month this year. I love the shot.

Keep us updated as Spring takes hold.

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Well done Joe, your plans seem to have worked out. Was the snow picture taken this year? We haven't seen such a covering in here in West Wales this year.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:32 pm

The last shot shows it is coming together.

Is the slab on the right of that shot for sitting on watching thr trains go by?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Nice shots Joe, your plantings are starting to blend everything together.
Grant.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 pm

Cheers for the comments chaps. Yes I did get a little snow this year-didnt last long though :roll: . And yes the slab has brick pillars beneath to create a quit useful slate bench-took some effort to get it in situ though :lol:

Joe