The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:52 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:09 pm Mr Spectre seems to be better qualified as an inspector of pubs rather than of railways.

It seems since he has arrived in Australia it seems his thirst has significantly increased.
The local gossip is that he procrastinates writing his final reports because of some of local lasses that he gets on famously with who are regulars at these pub he frequents.
Some are rumoured to be saying that he is well on his way to be an old soak but we think he simply likes the better weather, no Tories in Government here at this time and the beaches, especially the scenery at the Aussie beaches. Some think he wants to score permanent residency via one of these lasses. Some think he has fears that if he knocks over his final reports that he may be posted to other less celebrious locations.
All this is just gossip and I am sure he is still a diligently applying himself to his reports.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:41 pm

Blooming heck that took some filling. It will be worth it though I am sure of that and you will soon be running locos again, and MAM can get to do her thing with the greenery.... :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:53 pm

Boxing removed.

Getting an idea of the terra forming , channeling Slartiblatfast . A 650mm long wooden trestle is to be a build project for next year, I have the QR drawings for trestles but till then a curved lump of 10mm ply will suffice. It will visually break the 1000mm radius curve here.

Evening game of wrestling the 3mm ply into a curve with a variable radius and transitions into the straights. I will have to work evenings as the Rattler is short of crews and I am away from home most weekends till Christmas

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:01 pm

Meanwhile the second year since the plantings is arriving and MAM and I are pleased with how most of them are doing. A few losses but happy. The day will come when all the major grunt work is done and I can get into the details such as more slate walls, buildings, ballast odds and ends. All but track ballast will be small projects to do in-between work on the Foden steam lorry .

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:41 am

That's going to be some trestle Dazza. You are doing such a brilliant job and a lot of hard work that will be well worth it when you have finished the laying of the line. :salute:

The greenery is also looking great now. MAM and you have done another great job there too. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:04 am

Looks like all that rain has had some benefits :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:21 pm

I do like the way it fits in the space there, so accessible and formal, whilst remaining naturalistic with rocks and planting... a clever mix.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:16 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:21 pm I do like the way it fits in the space there, so accessible and formal, whilst remaining naturalistic with rocks and planting... a clever mix.
Thanks. We have learnt a lot but it is only by doing stuff does one truly learn.
In the next life the next garden railway will be better
As MAM says, "it is a garden with a railway in it"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:21 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:04 am Looks like all that rain has had some benefits :lol:

Rik

We are being told it will be a wet summer again
Some floods no doubt.
We do have rain water tanks for the dry spells and the last 12 months they have been always full. We use this tank water for the garden railway as they higher up than the railway and so we simply connect a hose and drink a beer while wetting down the plants. All part of the plan to ease life when retirement comes. Do the grunt now while able and we can afford it.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:31 am

Coming together well now. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:27 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:31 am Coming together well now. :salute:

Thanks and you will have to come down for a visit and run with BenG

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:31 am

With my Bundy (designated travelling loco) finished, I certainly shall!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:12 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:31 am With my Bundy (designated travelling loco) finished, I certainly shall!
Captain Plod has also printed off your ballast trial formulas to compliment his research

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 am

Today there is a break in the rain and as Captain Plod is off this weekend to Gympie to do his two annual guard runs so he and MAM devoted a couple of hours this morning to mixing and pouring 6 x 20kg of Bastion Ready Mix that was obtained from the big Green Box last night. As well as more plants
Next is some steps here and there and some tidy up and then the terra forming and fun of fun fun, track laying.
:lol:

On your mark, set, go

Done. The no concrete space is for the trestle bridge to fill one day, when I make it. I want to make one trestle bridge in my life before I die. Slow but very steady moving locos (Slomo equipped :salute: ) hauling wobble free across the trestle with the whistle howling :D wand emitting vapours on a moonlit evening, should look bloody marvelous.

There is 2-3mm super elevation over the 110mm width of the curved track bed. For the most part this occurs naturally when all is bolted up, then a wee bit of fiddle here and there to settle all in when one does the boxing and a final check this morning before the pour.

Looking over the top of the Orchid green house from the back deck.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 am

On reading your explanation of the train going over the trestle bridge, I was immediately taken there and picturing in my mind.

Wonderful. :salute:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:46 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:12 pm Captain Plod has also printed off your ballast trial formulas to compliment his research
I'll certainly be interested in reading about your findings. The cement dye in my ballast faded a bit over the year of that line's existence, but the ballast otherwise needed zero repairs, repeated downpours be damned.
Depending on how much glue was used, it can be very difficult to fully remove those ballast mixes from track - even after a year stacked out in the elements.
Given your jack-hammer prediction though, I doubt that would bother you. :lol:
The granite chippings you mentioned over on Farcebook look very good.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:01 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 am Today there is a break in the rain and as Captain Plod is off this weekend to Gympie to do his two annual guard runs so he and MAM devoted a couple of hours this morning to mixing and pouring 6 x 20kg of Bastion Ready Mix that was obtained from the big Green Box last night. As well as more plants
Next is some steps here and there and some tidy up and then the terra forming and fun of fun fun, track laying.
:lol:

On your mark, set, go

Done. The no concrete space is for the trestle bridge to fill one day, when I make it. I want to make one trestle bridge in my life before I die. Slow but very steady moving locos (Slomo equipped :salute: ) hauling wobble free across the trestle with the whistle howling :D with emitting vapours on a moonlit evening, should look bloody marvelous.

There is 2-3mm super elevation over the 110mm width of the curved track bed. For the most part this occurs naturally when all is bolted up, then a wee bit of fiddle here and there to settle all in when one does the boxing and a final check this morning before the pour.

Looking over the top of the Orchid green house from the back deck.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:43 pm

Cured, set, hard

Boxing is removed

Bashed up some 1/4 rod to make hooks, MAM planted out the wall hangers, now on the back fence.

If all goes well, in between the forecast rain, the track laying fun begins.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 am

Looking really impressive.. MAM's planting that is.. :lol: :lol:

Your track bed is too Dazza... :salute:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:37 pm

Left over pavers laid in the spot where an intended steaming bay with turn table is to be located, however that project is a 2-3 years away at best.
After 4 weekends out of 5 being away at the Rattler it is nice to be home and Captain Plod can start on track laying the extension.