The Leawarra Nayook Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Leawarra Nayook Railway

Post by LNR » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks Andrew, though I think he's ahead of his time fashion wise. With that shine on his pants I assume they're leather :lol:
Grant.
PS he's normally reading a newspaper!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:38 am

A photo posted by Jake (Tropic Blunder) has caused me to let the cat out of the bag.
The lumberjack driver has been in the boss's ear for some time, that loads and grades are getting too much for the engine. The engine has done many miles and breakdowns happen more often. He's concerned he may end up blocking the main line.
PA030002.JPG
PA030002.JPG (277.62 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Loads of sawn timber heading for Leawarra.
PA030005.JPG
PA030005.JPG (245.57 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
I think the boss's heart over ruled his head when he happened across a fully equipped shay at a bargain price. Although sitting outside for some time, and with turbo generator, lights and a compressor(none of which are useable on the mill line!) Gray's Timber Products now has a three cylinder shay at it's disposal and an ex lumberjack driver with a grin to put a Cheshire cat to shame.
Shay and Logs 1.JPG
Shay and Logs 1.JPG (204.47 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Shay and Logs 3.JPG
Shay and Logs 3.JPG (202.73 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Mill locos and stock running on LNR metals has been causing much discussion in higher circles and a possible relegation to Tramway status is on the cards.
Grant.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 am

LNR wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:38 am Gray's Timber Products now has a three cylinder shay at it's disposal and an ex lumberjack driver with a grin to put a Cheshire cat to shame.
The only time my Cheshire cat grins is when there's food in the offing........ :roll:

Are you still bringing the Shay to the GSSU next month? Let me know which day and we can do a parallel run.

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:13 am

Atmospheric photos as always, Grant. There's something captivating about watching a Shay's motion in action.

Our Cheshire Cat is wolfing down her breakfast at my feet as I type. I can't figure out how she manages to purr, eat and grin all at the same time.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:20 am

GTB wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 am Are you still bringing the Shay to the GSSU next month?
Yes Graeme, I booked myself for all three days.
Grant.
PS Gee! Cheshire cats are popular.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am

LNR wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:20 am
Grant.
PS Gee! Cheshire cats are popular.
...... particularly those who happen to live in Cheshire!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:26 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am particularly those who happen to live in Cheshire!
And do they all grin Peter?
Grant.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:40 pm

Spectacular grant. Its amazing what a difference some weather and detail changes make to the stock article. I was planning on doing something similar with mine but i dont want to go too far with it.

Have you had to modify much like Graeme did for it to be a successful runner? One of the guys up in the Dandenongs also had one and had dramas originally.
Jake

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:03 pm

Thanks Jake, yes much work has had to be done to this shay firstly by Gordon under warranty. Many pipe leaks and fittings to be remade. Then comparing the drive shaft lengths with Graeme's shay I found out mine were much shorter, strange as I had already silver soldered an additional 3mm to mine because they kept popping out.
As the shay is 1:20th scale I decided to raise the cab 7mm in order to get 5ft 9" door height for a driver, and of course the new diamond stack. I made a new tank top that sits much lower to carry a wood load, that along with new throttle and gas control levers coupled with the raised cab means it's much easier to drive manually.
The pics. show the raised cab and the new tank top.
Shay Cab Lift Detail 2.JPG
Shay Cab Lift Detail 2.JPG (147.41 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
Shay Cab Lift Tank Top 1.JPG
Shay Cab Lift Tank Top 1.JPG (34.75 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
Grant.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 am

Interesting that the drive shafts were different lengths I would have thought that would have failed Qc for sure but obviously not also Interesting that the cabs so small. Could it have been designed to 1:22 perhaps? Either way your model looks a treat! Always a shame when theres so much rework involved given the price tags of these locos though.
Jake

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:54 am

Tropic Blunder wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 am I would have thought that would have failed Qc
That's if there was any Jake. I have very strong doubts!
To find the shafts short was one thing, but to discover after I had added 3mm mine were still shorter than Graeme's was a real surprise.
It has finally ended up a runner in the end.
Grant.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:00 pm

Great photos, and a lovely loco, beautifully finished too. But is it the end of the line for the trusty "Lumberjack"?

With its offset boiler and flywheel I reckon my Konrad's like a cross between a Shay and an Aveling Porter - a Shaveling Porter???