Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:59 pm

Thanks Andrew, I had considered putting the 'posh' hearse in-train with the horsebox and carriage so that the cortege could continue to the cemetery after the rail journey. That could also include the smart bogie carriage with the clerestory roof for mourners. Quite how I could combine the two hearses in that train I'm not sure?
IMG_8221.JPG
IMG_8221.JPG (124.22 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
When you do manage to get out more please let me know where to go so I can follow in your footsteps!

Edit... prototype for everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWPkSqFDEA
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:12 pm

This may be slightly hyperbolic, but I'd expect the "better" class to vehemently insist on entirely separate trains, to keep the "peasants" in their place - the poorer train's coaching stock comprised mostly of slate trucks, perhaps with a single quarrymans coach scraped up for immediate family only.. :roll: :roll: ;)

Wonderful modelling in any case, Peter. How many wagons are on the books now?
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:46 pm

You're absolutely right Aaron, the two types would have a completely different purpose; the FR one to carry the unfortunate worker back to his nearest home station for the relatives to collect the corpse to rest at home or in the nearest chapel before the final cart journey to the cemetery. The 'posh' hearse to carry a deceased person of 'higher rank' from his, or her, country residence to their chosen final resting place, with the last part of the journey carrying relatives in the Brougham. The two would never have been allowed to share such a journey.
In the video link of the Necropolis Railway I attached there was mention of three classes of passengers sharing one train, but separated in different carriages by class.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:12 pm Peter. How many wagons are on the books now?
I don't keep a list and it would be interesting to do so. I will try to put something together in categories which describe their purpose.
Currently, three more carriages on the workbench, so updates could be frequent!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:16 pm

Another bogie carriage has now been added to to the fleet. This is the cut-down version of the IP Talyllyn coach which I bought on ebay. As previously stated, it was incomplete and I failed to get the parts from Ivan, so I had to improvise.
As it was quite a long carriage, a section was removed from both ends and the end side panels re-attached at the door frame to hide the join. This has turned out very well and nothing can be seen. New side panel surrounds were laser cut for me and an inner liner was cut from card to form the window and door frames. It also holds the window glazing in position without showing the cut edges.....
IMG_8679.JPG
IMG_8679.JPG (128.32 KiB) Viewed 2920 times

The seating has turned out well too I think.
Today it arrived on the railway prepared for a life of service, or perhaps just a rest, as everything has now been put away for the winter and services withdrawn until next year. It might get a run at a garden railway Christmas meet in a couple of weeks time, depending on the weather...
IMG_8684.JPG
IMG_8684.JPG (112.85 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
IMG_8685.JPG
IMG_8685.JPG (125.77 KiB) Viewed 2920 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:10 pm

Another beautiful model, Peter. Cleverly constructed from the sound of it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:44 pm

At the same time the previous carriage kit was purchased on ebay, I also received another incomplete kit, The Lineside Hut, Ffestiniog Railway carriage No. 20. New, this kit would cost £120. without bogies, wheels or white-metal accessories. It is also a huge item, measuring 620mm over buffers, far too long for my line, and I guess for the previous owner too, as it arrived with both side panels cut down. Fortunately both were included....
IMG_8175.JPG
IMG_8175.JPG (111.98 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
I reattached the pieces and then cut the sides in half to make two equal length carriages. I still needed additional parts to complete the build and the wonderful people at Lineside Hut were more than helpful in supplying new balcony ends and some missing interior panelling. Side overlays were laser cut for me by a most generous friend so the construction commenced.
This is the way the first class interior will look with the side panels, padded seating and wall decoration...
IMG_8682.JPG
IMG_8682.JPG (103.51 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
The third class compartments look like this....
IMG_8683.JPG
IMG_8683.JPG (102.2 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
So far I have put the main structure together with interior dividers, masked and painted the sides and ends, also sprayed the overlays ready to attach after drying.....
IMG_8701.JPG
IMG_8701.JPG (75.9 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
IMG_8702.JPG
IMG_8702.JPG (104.94 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
I have to finish the exterior with clear lacquer before fitting the interior panels, which secure the glazing, so that should be next on the list.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 am

Corrr, that looks very smart already. Your output really is impressive, Peter. Not only in terms of quantity but also quality.

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:45 pm

Well looking at your collection of hearse carriages, it appears that the true meaning of BURPS is 'Buried Under Real Pembrokeshire Soil' :lol: If the funeral trains become a regular thing, will you be able to count the deceased as passengers, or would they be freight? :dontknow:
The workmanship on these and your 'salvaged' purchases from Ebay is, as usual, superb. And the colour scheme reminds me of something, maybe from your childhood as much as mine? :)
9k=.jpg
9k=.jpg (92.64 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks Phil, yes, you are correct about the similarity of the livery. I hadn't thought about it myself but I remember from my youth travelling on those buses. I lived in the Black Country and there was a 'border' at West Bromwich where passengers from Brum making a through journey had to pay a second fair to complete the trip. Better than having to change I guess.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 pm

Hello Peter, what is the 'upholstery' made from?
It looks like it may be the plastic 'foam' that is for sale in certain craft-stores, and that comes in bags of pre-cut shapes?
If so, it's use is inspired!
Thanks,
Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 pm

The upholstery material is as you describe, although I can't take credit for it as it was supplied, pre-cut, with the kit from The Lineside Hut. Another bonus from them as they are a most professional team and always helpful and friendly.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Thank you..
The partition, seats, and blue upholstery, look so good..
Almost like a 3D render.
:salute:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 pm

A little progress on the build of FR coach 20 (or perhaps 2x coach 10?) This is a looooong carriage kit, and although built to scale from the original, is far too long for the average garden railway, certainly for mine!
Just to show how it should look I have placed the two cut-down sections together.....
IMG_8703.JPG
IMG_8703.JPG (106.97 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
And with a PDF Hunslet for size comparison....
IMG_8704.JPG
IMG_8704.JPG (108.29 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
Separated they now look like this and will retain their balcony ends when complete....
IMG_8705.JPG
IMG_8705.JPG (100.62 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
Having applied transfers I'm now waiting for an opportunity to spray a clear lacquer finish before I can work on the interiors.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:16 pm

The lacquer has now been applied and the interior seating and windows fitted....
IMG_8711.JPG
IMG_8711.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Which means the final touches can be attached. End balconies have handrails which are brass rod bent around a wooden former (provided with the kit). To fit vertical supports I placed two handrail knobs onto the handrail with the stem inserted into brass tube.....
IMG_8732.JPG
IMG_8732.JPG (97.8 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
This works well and is firmly fixed with superglue into pre-drilled holes in the platforms. Brass door handles and Bogies from Swift Sixteen, buffers from Binnie Engineering, roof vents from Jerry Irwin complete the carriages....
IMG_8736.JPG
IMG_8736.JPG (119.36 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
IMG_8735.JPG
IMG_8735.JPG (118.64 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
IMG_8734.JPG
IMG_8734.JPG (132.45 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
So... on to the next build.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:00 pm

It's been far too long since I visited this thread, and I knew that there would be a lot to catch up on Peter! Very enjoyable reading... I do especially like the coach 20 divided in 2. Very much in the narrow gauge spirit to acquire rolling stock and then modify it to suit the line or purpose it is to be used for, they make attractive and unique models. I also really like the livery you've used for these and the Talyllyn coach - very smart indeed.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:32 am

What a smashing pair those coaches make. Love them :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:08 pm

Whilst waiting for my latest kit to arrive I have been working on a number of things, only one of which is now finished, so this is following on from a suggestion by a friend to check out a website I haven't previously purchased from before. I have to admit I wasn't particularly impressed, so I won't name names. However, I did see a kit for a quarry 'man-rider' wagon which inspired this build.
I have scratch-built several quarry flat trucks in the past, so already had one to base this on ....
IMG_8746.JPG
IMG_8746.JPG (85.22 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
With the addition of a plasticard bench seat, shaped as the original, and heavily grained to represent aged timber construction....

IMG_8748.JPG
IMG_8748.JPG (79.34 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
A final surface paint finish; grey primer, Citadel 'Dryad Bark', 'Citadel 'Agrax Earthshade' wash and matt lacquer, we have....
IMG_8750.JPG
IMG_8750.JPG (139.1 KiB) Viewed 2515 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 pm

Very nice! You've really perfected the weathered timber look...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:11 pm

A rather fine looking wagon, Peter. Do the passengers sit astride the seat or back to back?

Rik
------------------------