Dan's Rob roy rebuild

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Tue May 12, 2015 5:18 pm

With the rebuild completeits now time to do some fine tuning and finishing touches. The test run at the club track was a good start but there was still something not right. Further examination back on the bench showed that the lubricator hadn't been putting oil in, no wonder it was barking so loud ! This was traced to a piece of grit in the check valve allowing steam back into the lubricator. The hot shower when starting was also a problem so I've fitted automatic drain cocks.

These are mostly based on Dave Watkins' fitted to his Chaloner but altered to be at 90 degrees instead of in line. Since the track visit ive run the loco on blocks for about 5 hours, should have really done this before taking it as its got rid of alot of the initial stiffenss. The next track test is in about 4 weeks where hopefully I will get round without stopping
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:03 am

One last update. During the last run there were some draughting issues confirmed, the loco wouldnt maintain pressure while running. In an attempt to solve this, the chimney has been sleved and a lempor style blast nozzle fitted. Another very succesful test was done at the club this evening, the loco completing several non stop laps with everything working as it should.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Paul3484
New User
New User

Re: Dan's Rob roy rebuild

Post by Paul3484 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi

I have just picked up a Rob Roy and am interested in fitting the Auto drain cocks was this an easy job to do?

Regards
Paul

Big Jim

Re: Dan's Rob roy rebuild

Post by Big Jim » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Does your Rob Roy have any kind of drain cocks fitted at the moment?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!