Persistence pays!

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Persistence pays!

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:34 pm

On another thread, you will have seen I've recently acquired a Silhouette computer controlled card cutter for a very good price on eBay. It came without a power supply, instructions or any accessories (which is why it was cheap). I tracked down a power supply and then searched for a blade to replace the one with which it was supplied. The best value was on Amazon
Amazon Silhouette Blade A.jpg
Amazon Silhouette Blade A.jpg (197.68 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
This is an adjustable blade - 0-10 determines the depth to which the blade cuts. I was reassured by the photo and the description which clearly states that the 'adjustment tool' is supplied (the grey knurled knob).

When it arrived there was no adjustment tool - just the blade.
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG (764.46 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
I went into my Amazon Account and clicked the 'Return Item' button. I filled in the forms giving the reason I wanted to return it (Incomplete). When I clicked Submit I was informed that the item was not eligible for return. I tried again, giving a different reason (Not what was purchased). Same response. I tried twice more giving different reasons. Same response.

There was a link to Amazon's Terms and Conditions - but nowhere could I see any reason why this product was not eligible for return.

I now clicked on 'Contact Us'. I gave my phone number and was phoned back immediately by a robot. I responded to all its questions and was told the item was ineligible for return - no reason given. I tried again, responding slightly differently - same response.

I now tried the online chat option. Another automated series of questions with the same outcome.

At this point I started to look for info on Consumer Protection legislation - ie The Sale of Goods Act.

I tried the online chat again and this time got a different set of questions prefaced with "We see you have contacted us previously, would you like to chat with a representative". There wasn't a "Too bloody right I do!" response so just clicked "Yes".

I kept my cool and explained my problem. After a few exchanges, the representative replied saying I could have a full refund and there was no need to return the product. Not quite the outcome I wanted, but at least I now have £12's worth of blade for free - though I still need to track down the adjustment tool (I've found a 3D print file for one on Thingiverse BTW)

So, in future, I know I need to go straight to the Online Chat section and when I get thrown off it, I'll remember to return a second time and should get through to a human being. Worth bearing in mind.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Re: Persistence pays!

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:25 pm

Well done for persevering. Must admit that I would probably have given up and written off the 12 quid somewhere in the middle of that saga. I must say that we have never had any kind of problem with returning stuff to Amazon and have praised their customer services as being the way every company should act. Once or twice we have contacted customer services over a problem with something and they have always said, straight away, words to the effect " We'll send you another one, no need to return it".
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:07 pm

After a few trials and tribulations, I finally have a working cutting device. My first effort has been to cut out some letters from self adhesive vinyl.
IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3126.JPG (751.54 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Yes, I know they're a bit crooked, it's just a test run to make sure everything is working properly. This is glossy vinyl, I've got some matt on order so I can do a pukka job.

Rik

PS - I took a punt on the eBay purchase. £19.99 (+£8 pp) for an untested sold for spares product.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:07 pm

Very crisp! And an absolute bargain.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Well done, A wagon always looks better with lettering

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 am

That does look good Rik.

I have had some complaints recently about amazons courier drivers, one young chap has started to push parcels through the letterbox, which is ok for thin items, but when it paint or something a little bit bulkier, he still pushes it through the letterbox. It is now starting to damage the brushes that you find in the box to help stop any draughts. You can't email Amazon anymore now, there isn't anywhere on the site that will let you email them, only that stupid chat line computer idiot thing.. :angry5:

So I got an order only yesterday and caught the young driver just has he was putting the parcel in the letterbox. I politely asked him to stop putting any parcel through the letterbox and just leave it in the porch, it's an open porch but you can't see anything that's left there because we are in a cul-de-sac and the end house. He started to give me some ridicules reason for him putting them in the box and I told him, listen young man... :lol: :lol: me telling a person that they are young...the customer is the most valuable thing that you deal with daily and if you keep on, not keeping them happy, you will soon start to lose customers and than your own job is at risk. He said, 'I never thought of it that way.'

Rant over...

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:58 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 am That does look good Rik.

I have had some complaints recently about amazons courier drivers, one young chap has started to push parcels through the letterbox, which is ok for thin items, but when it paint or something a little bit bulkier, he still pushes it through the letterbox. It is now starting to damage the brushes that you find in the box to help stop any draughts. You can't email Amazon anymore now, there isn't anywhere on the site that will let you email them, only that stupid chat line computer idiot thing.. :angry5:

So I got an order only yesterday and caught the young driver just has he was putting the parcel in the letterbox. I politely asked him to stop putting any parcel through the letterbox and just leave it in the porch, it's an open porch but you can't see anything that's left there because we are in a cul-de-sac and the end house. He started to give me some ridicules reason for him putting them in the box and I told him, listen young man... :lol: :lol: me telling a person that they are young...the customer is the most valuable thing that you deal with daily and if you keep on, not keeping them happy, you will soon start to lose customers and than your own job is at risk. He said, 'I never thought of it that way.'

Rant over...
Get your step ladder ready, tomorrow's parcel will be on the roof. :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 am

BorisSpencer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:58 pm
FWLR wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 am That does look good Rik.

Rant over...
Get your step ladder ready, tomorrow's parcel will be on the roof. :lol:
:banghead: :banghead: