Domestic oil tank leak

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Domestic oil tank leak

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:47 pm

Completely off topic, but I know there will be some good advice to be had on the forum.

My mum's domestic oil tank has sprung a leak - nothing dramatic but a drip every two seconds or so. She no longer uses it as I got her connected to gas a couple of years ago, however there is still about 200 litres of central heating oil left in it. After that recent cold snap it has started leaking from around the outlet pipe. I could try gumming it up with some suitable gunge, but it strikes me that someone would find 200 litres of heating oil useful - such as a near neighbour.

Any suggestions as to the most effective way of transporting 200 litres of heating oil from one tank to another? It's too far to the nearest oil-burning neighbour to use a hose. I've got a 20 litre bucket but the thought of hoiking that up above head height to pour it into the neighbour's tank is not appealing. I have got one of those little pumps which can be attached to an electric drill but it says on no account should it be used for pumping fuel.

Anyone got any ideas?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Domestic oil tank leak

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:36 pm

If the tank is on a plinth (like mine) it may be possible to syphon it out using a hosepipe?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:54 pm

It will hopefully be a problem that the recipient is prepared to solve.
A 5/10 gallon drum and a wheelbarrow spring to mind.

Good luck.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:35 pm

I'd have thought the obvious answer would be to build a small (5" or 7 1/4" gauge) railway between the two oil tanks, and then fabricate some suitable container wagons to form a tanker train...

More seriously, in your position I'd be inclined to suggest the recipient pay an oil company to move the oil, yes it will mean some cost but bound to be considerably cheaper than buying 200 litres, so still a good deal for them, and is a quick way to get the problem off your Mum's property before the leak gets worse...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:00 pm

Thanks chaps.

I'm not so concerned about getting it out of mum's tank (and the thought on lying on the ground and sucking the air out of the Syphon doesn't appeal ....😄). I can unscrew the drain plug and position a container below it. It's more the problem of getting it into the neighbour's tank without pouring a good proportion of it over me in the process.

I did wonder whether an oil delivery company might consider it, but was worried in case they were concerned the oil might be contaminated in some way. I might give them a ring to see whether it's feasible.

I love the idea of a miniature railway, though ....... 😄

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:07 pm

I spent an hour or so this afternoon tinkering with the tank and scrubbing the path beside it to remove the oil spillage. I've managed to stem the flow - down to one drip every minute or so (into a strategically placed container) - so there is less urgency. I can now take my time over figuring out how to empty the tank.

As the oil was spilling out on to the path, it was being picked up by me and the carers on our shoes and walked into the house which now smells like an oil refinery! I'm hoping, in time, the pungent smell will diminish.

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:27 pm

Rik,
Get a bar of soap and forcefully wedge it around the leak, almost cheese grater style. It should stop it completely.
Oil distributors will probably not be keen to transfer the oil, for the reason you have identified, but a clean up/ salvage firm may be more amenable?
If you can come up with a solution to moving the oil to the neighbours, you can get a drill attached pump rated for diesel/heating oil for about £25, and use that to lift the oil into their tank. HTH.
https://www.fueltankshop.co.uk/drill-pu ... llor/p7525
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:39 pm

That's extremely helpful, Phil. Thanks. I have managed to slow the drip by tightening a pipe union and wasn't sure how to stop it completely. That sounds like a really simple solution. The pump is a great idea. I've postponed the transfer until after the Christmas/New Year break (I don't think I'll be popular stinking the house out with fuel oil fumes) - so will give it a go in the New Year. Gives time for the pump to be delivered.

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:05 pm

I realised your post was a week or so old, but thought perhaps you had postponed any action given the time of year :lol: The soap trick I learned in the Fire Brigade, from an 'old smoke' dealing with a split diesel tank on a bus.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:39 am

This sounds interesting, does anybody know the science behind this?
What does soap contain that is not dissolved by the oil/diesel?
Phil

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:35 am

pandsrowe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:39 am This sounds interesting, does anybody know the science behind this?
What does soap contain that is not dissolved by the oil/diesel?
Short answer, soap is a salt, so it's soluble in water, but not in a solvent like heating oil. The aphorism 'like dissolves like' is simplistic, but will do for this example.

Longer answer. Ordinary soap is manufactured by reacting caustic soda with animal fats.

The reaction produces a soap, which in this case is a sodium salt of a fatty acid. The molecule is polar and thus will dissolve in water and it is also slightly soluble in polar solvents like alcohols.

Heating oil is distilled from petroleum and is similar in chemical properties to diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, etc. The molecules aren't polar, so won't dissolve polar molecules like soaps.

If you want the full song and dance routine, Wikipedia has a page on solubility that will tell you more than you probably ever wanted to know........

Graeme

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:35 am

Well I suppose I did ask!
Thanks Graeme, your explanation was perfect for chemistry numpty like me.
Phil