One for another day - the Austro Daimler.

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Andrew

One for another day - the Austro Daimler.

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:55 am

Morning all,

With my project to build a Kerr Stuart diesel underway, I've been refreshing my knowledge of the old Festiniog and Welsh Highland's "tractors", as they called their internal combustion engines. This article - https://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/lo ... ction.html - is very interesting on the subject, and mentions a small Austro Daimler locomotive that worked the Croesor branch, illustrated by a picture of a funny little skip frame loco. I like its quirkiness, but have never really fancied making a model of it - it would be bloomin' tricky, apart from anything else!

Anyway, yesterday I re-read the Festipedia article on the same loco - https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Austro-Daimler - which suggests that, in fact, the loco in question wasn't a skip frame, but something a little larger, one of these, a Feldbahn type SL 12A:

Austro Daimler.png
Austro Daimler.png (371.35 KiB) Viewed 4825 times

How great is that?! I found some other pictures online too, including some showing that the roof could also act as a lid when the loco wasn't in use - ingenious...

At 12 HP, it can't have pulled much, so I reckon at some point I'll have a crack at it, on a cheap and cheerful chassis. It would look great tootling about the flowerbeds with a couple of slate wagons in tow, or a single toastrack carriage, as per the trial mentioned in the Festipedia article.

For now though, back to the Kerr Stuart...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: One for another day - the Austro Daimler.

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 am

Another little cracker! It would need to be modelled with all its bruises of course, otherwise it would look quite normal.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:56 am

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:00 pm

Thank you!

I've just found this page too: http://www.feldbahn.at/fahrzeuge/verbre ... aimler.php

Nearly enough to go on there, I reckon...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 am

I like the way the roof can be raised and lowered for various clearance heights and also to seal the cab when the loco isn't in use.
kromag1_k.jpg
kromag1_k.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Source:http://www.feldbahn.at/fahrzeuge/verbre ... aimler.php

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:04 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 am I like the way the roof can be raised and lowered for various clearance heights and also to seal the cab when the loco isn't in use.
Now that should be an interesting r/c mechanism!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:04 am
ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 am I like the way the roof can be raised and lowered for various clearance heights and also to seal the cab when the loco isn't in use.
I said I was going to keep it simple!

Great for forays up the FR though, could just wind in the roof when it reached the tunnels!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:04 am
Maybe the driver figure could also have telescopic legs ..... :?:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:38 am

Andrew wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:00 pm Thank you!

I've just found this page too: http://www.feldbahn.at/fahrzeuge/verbre ... aimler.php

Nearly enough to go on there, I reckon...
Fascinating that the power is given in kW rather than HP. Is HP a UK only unit?

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:28 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:38 am
No, predictably the Yanks still use HP as well.

Horsepower is a unit of work, originally defined by James Watt to give an idea of how many horses one of his steam engines could replace. Used originally to determine the royalty that had to be paid by his customers.

An English HP is defined as 33,000 ft.lbf/min. Welsh pit ponies develop less than one HP, Clydesdales develop more, not surprisingly.

The Frogs and every other 'furriner' east of the channel had their own definition and name for a unit of work, all of which translated to horsepower in english. There was also a metric HP defined as 75 kgf.m/s and known as a PS, (pferdestarke, german for horsepower) that was superseded in the '70s by the use of the kW. Metric horses were slightly less powerful than british ones......

There's a Wikipedia page on the subject of HP, if for some reason you want more detail........

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 pm

GTB wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:28 am
ge_rik wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:38 am
No, predictably the Yanks still use HP as well.

Horsepower is a unit of work, originally defined by James Watt to give an idea of how many horses one of his steam engines could replace. Used originally to determine the royalty that had to be paid by his customers.

An English HP is defined as 33,000 ft.lbf/min. Welsh pit ponies develop less than one HP, Clydesdales develop more, not surprisingly.

The Frogs and every other 'furriner' east of the channel had their own definition and name for a unit of work, all of which translated to horsepower in english. There was also a metric HP defined as 75 kgf.m/s and known as a PS, (pferdestarke, german for horsepower) that was superseded in the '70s by the use of the kW. Metric horses were slightly less powerful than british ones......

There's a Wikipedia page on the subject of HP, if for some reason you want more detail........

Graeme
So a 2CV would be the metric HP and not the Anglo HP ...... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:08 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 pm So a 2CV would be the metric HP and not the Anglo HP ...... :lol:
2CV is two pony power. 8)

The symbol for french HP was actually ch I gather. CV is the froggie equivalent of RAC HP, used to work out how much tax Pierre had to pay the guvmint for the privilege of puttering down the road in his motorised roller skate to deliver his eggs to market.

Tax hp bears little relationship to how much power was developed where the rubber met the road, as it was calculated, not measured. A Citroen 2CV motor is usually quoted as developing 9 HP in early models, probably the metric equivalent of brake HP. As a comparison, the by then geriatric Austin 7 actually put out 10 HP, the 7 was the RAC rating used for tax purposes.

The small difference between a metric PS and an english HP is due to rounding down in the conversion from english units of measurement to metric ones.

Graeme

Whk2000
New User
New User

Post by Whk2000 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:53 pm

PM me your email address Andrew and I will send you some drawings. I wrote most of the Festipedia article based on a fair bit of research including some delving in the archives at Caernarfon, and I've managed to source 4 drawings (including an A-D works one) I can send you if that would be helpful

Edit: I've posted the drawings here now, just waiting for post approval. I've got some more photos I can post too if people would like.

Whk2000
New User
New User

Post by Whk2000 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 pm

I've dug the drawings out to post here, all came from various depths of the internet (as can be seen by the languages on some of them!) I've also attached two photos I find of the same loco in both the roof up and roof down position. I'm slowly doing more research into the type, with the hope of building a model eventually
Attachments
Austro Daimler SL12A drawing.jpg
Austro Daimler SL12A drawing.jpg (55.48 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
470565.jpg
470565.jpg (101.79 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
1435697.jpg
1435697.jpg (229.65 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
IMG_20210119_0003.jpg
IMG_20210119_0003.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
IMG_20210119_0004.jpg
IMG_20210119_0004.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:30 pm

Hello, welcome to the Forum - and thank you!

I've not been online much over the last couple of days, so it was a very nice surprise to log on to the Forum and see your posts - those drawings are wonderful!

I think the Austro Daimler's probably a medium-term project for me, partly because I've got plenty of other models in the queue (including the current Kerr Stuart diesel) but, who knows (certainly not me!), it might rise to the top of the pile sooner rather than later. It would certainly make a very attractive model, although it might be difficult to a) hide the motor, batteries etc and b) replicate the engine and other mechanical gubbins of the real thing.

Anyway, thanks again - and do post pictures if you build your model.

With best wishes,

Andrew.