Battery powered loco survey

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Battery powered loco survey

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 04, 2022 3:51 pm

I have now closed the first survey (197 respondents) and analysed the results in a bit more depth than the interim analysis. Many thanks if you contributed. I have found the results to be very interesting - particularly when it comes to addressing the unsubstantiated claim on our friend's webpage that you need approximately as many chargers as you have locos. His website also maintains that there is no such thing as a universal charger so we need different chargers for every combination of battery packs in our locos (ie one for 1S, another for 2S, etc.) ......... Presumably refuting this is bizarre claim is yet another example of the Battery Mafia in action??

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2022/0 ... terim.html

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 04, 2022 6:45 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:51 pm ......... Presumably refuting this is bizarre claim is yet another example of the Battery Mafia in action??
You are obviously actively recruiting for your 'Family'. :lol:

I do have a problem though, because if he is correct, presumably my batteries with various chemistry's will all stop charging now? Plus, SWMBO will be on my neck because I can't charge the Pb battery for her garden water feature. :roll:
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Wed May 04, 2022 11:45 pm

Tingewickmax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:18 am Interesting. It seems a certain person has form dissing other forum members when they offer alternative opinions to their own firmly held ones. Could not help but notice one of their previous posts, from a year or so ago, where they stated they left another forum due to the overblown egos of those who posted on that site. Strangly my recollections was that forum's host was moved to openly warn that certain person(s) would be barred if they did not desist with their garrulous behaviour towards others. It was notable that immediately after that threat, a formally very prolific poster on that forum went MIA. Hoving up on a certain UK based forum, and prooving to be equally prolific garrulous there.

A pity as the individual in question claims (and would seem) to have an unrivalled depth of knowledge into the ins and outs of our hobby and the qualifications to go with it. But that might be the issue. Rik, I have locked horns with this individual in the past, on several occasions. They went so far as to seem to suggest, not that long ago, that I had no place in this hobby as I had a limited understanding of electrical matters. I remember this individual "hijacking" a thread I had started and setting about vilifying a poor unfortunate wealthy hobbyist he felt had slighted him. He went on to mock this individual, regaling and glorying in to all and sundry, with the information that by this time, the "miscreant" had successively lost his business, his 4 acre property, wife and livelihood. Nice. My father brought me up to face down bullies. Max
I was frequent viewer of the forum and saw first hand how he operates.
He was warned to curtail the argumentative posts or face a banning.
He calmed down for a week or two then fired up taking a comment posted to a thread (battery v track power) as a direct attack on himself and the owner of the site banned him.
Since then the forum is now a much calmer friendly place.

His other passion is forum post monitor telling new people how to post.

His reputation is well known around the forums in the US.
Last edited by GAP on Thu May 05, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am

It is a pity. I get the impression he does possess some useful knowledge and experience but assumes that his is the answer to every question and any query is a personal insult.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 05, 2022 8:36 am

philipy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:45 pm You are obviously actively recruiting for your 'Family'. :lol:
Anyone know a good source of horses' heads?

Rik
------------------------

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu May 05, 2022 10:00 am

Have you tried asking the neigh-bours?

(Sorry!) ;)

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu May 05, 2022 11:19 am

GAP wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:45 pmI was frequent viewer of the forum ...
Which forum, please?
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 05, 2022 6:41 pm

The interim results of my second battery loco survey - many thanks to all those who contributed so far (103)
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2022/0 ... art-2.html

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Thu May 05, 2022 10:15 pm

TonyW wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:19 am
GAP wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:45 pmI was frequent viewer of the forum ...
Which forum, please?
Name sent via PM
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri May 06, 2022 11:11 am

Thank you!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 07, 2022 3:12 pm

Hi folks
Just in case you've missed it. I've created Part 2 of a survey on battery locos and how (and why) you use them. I've had 113 responses so far and am thinking of running the survey until the end of the week then I'll post a link to an analysis of the survey on here. If you've not responded so far then ....
https://forms.gle/DBZzYMFMK2T6G4Th9

Thanks Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 am

Sorry Rik, I missed your first survey and it did have some very interesting questions and answers. I have just done the second survey and the answers from that are also very interesting.

I enjoy both steam and battery, but I would never go to track power. No matter what that guy said about the virtues of track power he seems a bit deluded for me. :dontknow: He also doesn't mention anything on British garden railways, or any other country's for that matter! It shows how much he knows about battery powered loco's and the joys of running one. I do find them a lot easier than live steam, but I also enjoy my one and only Roundhouse 'Billy' too. It does need to be driven on most lines because I don't believe that there are perfectly level lines anywhere. I really hope I haven't started an (argument) about that. But you will also have to drive battery powered loco's too won't you. I did on my lines before and I suppose I still will when we can get our new line started. It is having to wait until after the Llangollen show this weekend and also some other things need our attention. I need to start and finish projects before starting on another one, :roll: :roll:

Orders from Anne, I know she is looking after me...

Sorry for going on Rik. BTW, is the forum that guys. If it is, I don't think he keeps the members on there for that long :dontknow:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 12, 2022 12:51 pm

Thanks Rod
No. He doesn't own the forum (thank goodness). He seems to have calmed down a bit since we started our "discussion' but he does seem to flare up at what seem to me to be fairly innocuous comments. I think he takes any suggestion or viewpoint which differs from his own as a personal insult. A pity because he does have a fair amount of useful experience which could be helpful to others.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 pm

I've now closed the second survey and analysed the results
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2022/0 ... art-2.html

Rik
------------------------