Battery powered loco survey

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
philipy

Re: Battery powered loco survey

Post by philipy » Mon May 02, 2022 5:51 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:19 pm I have heard he's bad mouthing me and my guide on a different forum.
Thankfully, our membership here is generally more helpful and tolerant of each others foibles. :D
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 02, 2022 8:56 am

philipy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:51 am
ge_rik wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:19 pm I have heard he's bad mouthing me and my guide on a different forum.
Thankfully, our membership here is generally more helpful and tolerant of each others foibles. :D
Are you saying I have foibles!!??? - how dare you..........
I have never been so insulted in my life ..... :shock:

Well not since Friday .... ;) :lol:

Rik
PS At first I enlarged and emboldened "How dare you...." but it just didn't look right on a forum post. I don't think it's something I could ever do, no matter how much a post has annoyed me.

PPS It does seem that some people on forums take comments as personal insults - they insist on playing the man rather than the ball. I go walking with four other old gits like me and I often quite heatedly disagree with the political views of one of our group - but it's only his views I have problems with - especially after he pays for my coffee and toasted tea cake.....
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 02, 2022 9:07 am

I've now created a follow-up survey on battery power. The first was to address a specific point - this one is far more generalised. Before I post it more widely, could you take a quick look and let me know if
  • you spot any errors, typos, etc.
  • any of the questions are ambiguous or difficult to answer
  • any questions should be removed
  • there are questions you think are missing
  • you have any other observations

https://forms.gle/MKpzpRobhAqc5ppr9

Thanks

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon May 02, 2022 9:45 am

I've just filled it in Rik. Written half a dozen clarification comments at various points ( you may disagree, in which case I shall be mortaly offended, throw my toys out of the pram and never speak to you again! :lol:) , but in general I think it's pretty comprehensive.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 02, 2022 11:40 am

Pert 2 of the survey has now been edited and posted for completion

https://forms.gle/P6DCJbb7r7c3CQoP9

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 02, 2022 1:34 pm

I FIND THIS ENTIRE THREAD PERSONALLY INSULTING TO EVERYTHING I BELEIVE IN.

I THINK SOMEONE SHOULD DELETE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

oh wait, that's one of us then, lol :lol: I EVEN FIND THIS POST INSULTING! :dontknow:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon May 02, 2022 1:41 pm

ANDDDDD>>> you can't even spell "believe", now THAT is insulting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Philip

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Mon May 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Done.

I will say, the original driver behind this of arguing on the internet seems a bit of a waste of time. Some folks are entrenched in their opinions and will argue black is white, especially over the internet where there's no repercussions. Best just leave them to it...

That said, I actually do use multiple chargers for my locos, purely from a laziness/convenience perspective. My one battery powered loco uses individual AA NiMh batteries in a plastic holder. when it's time to charge them I just remove the batteries and and stick them in a basic plug-in trickle charger. For my Merlin loco, which uses batteries to power the R/C, mechanical constrains meant I had to tape/solder individual AAA NiMh batteries together in a custom arrangement. Since these are permanently electrically connected, I charge the pack externally using a multi-chemistry charger similar, but considerably more powerful than an iMax B6:

https://www.amazon.ca/HOBBYMATE-Battery ... B07DR8HW19

The extra power is of no use for NiMh batteries, since it's inadvisable to charge at > 0.5C current anyway, but if I were running LiPo batteries in any of my locos, as I do in my R/C vehicles, it allows for considerably faster charging. The fact that, with a bit of effort soldering up a connector, I can charge more or less any battery I want to makes it a nice tool to have at my disposal.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon May 02, 2022 8:42 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:40 am Pert 2 of the survey has now been edited and posted for completion

https://forms.gle/P6DCJbb7r7c3CQoP9

Rik
Ooooh!
I love a 'pert' survey. :thumbright:
:P

Ooops! Wrong Forum.. 8) 8) 8)

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 pm

Makes generally interesting reading..

I am encouraged by the RC equipment distribution. - Not really sure why?
:salute: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 03, 2022 9:15 pm

BTW

Just checked a certain persons website to see if he had made any changes since our discussion and spotted this in the introduction.
2022-05-03-20-24-27-156.jpg
2022-05-03-20-24-27-156.jpg (125.94 KiB) Viewed 3826 times

Bear in mind that he insists his site offers an unbiased evaluation of track v battery power.

I don't think I've ever been accused of being a member of the Mafia before .....

The Godfather
Rik
------------------------

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Wed May 04, 2022 5:18 am

Interesting. It seems a certain person has form dissing other forum members when they offer alternative opinions to their own firmly held ones. Could not help but notice one of their previous posts, from a year or so ago, where they stated they left another forum due to the overblown egos of those who posted on that site. Strangly my recollections was that forum's host was moved to openly warn that certain person(s) would be barred if they did not desist with their garrulous behaviour towards others. It was notable that immediately after that threat, a formally very prolific poster on that forum went MIA. Hoving up on a certain UK based forum, and prooving to be equally prolific garrulous there.

A pity as the individual in question claims (and would seem) to have an unrivalled depth of knowledge into the ins and outs of our hobby and the qualifications to go with it. But that might be the issue. Rik, I have locked horns with this individual in the past, on several occasions. They went so far as to seem to suggest, not that long ago, that I had no place in this hobby as I had a limited understanding of electrical matters. I remember this individual "hijacking" a thread I had started and setting about vilifying a poor unfortunate wealthy hobbyist he felt had slighted him. He went on to mock this individual, regaling and glorying in to all and sundry, with the information that by this time, the "miscreant" had successively lost his business, his 4 acre property, wife and livelihood. Nice. My father brought me up to face down bullies. Max

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed May 04, 2022 7:53 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:15 pm BTW

Just checked a certain persons website to see if he had made any changes since our discussion and spotted this in the introduction.

2022-05-03-20-24-27-156.jpg

Bear in mind that he insists his site offers an unbiased evaluation of track v battery power.

I don't think I've ever been accused of being a member of the Mafia before .....

The Godfather
Rik
Tingewickmax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:18 am Interesting. It seems a certain person has form dissing other forum members when they offer alternative opinions to their own firmly held ones. Could not help but notice one of their previous posts, from a year or so ago, where they stated they left another forum due to the overblown egos of those who posted on that site. Strangly my recollections was that forum's host was moved to openly warn that certain person(s) would be barred if they did not desist with their garrulous behaviour towards others. It was notable that immediately after that threat, a formally very prolific poster on that forum went MIA. Hoving up on a certain UK based forum, and prooving to be equally prolific garrulous there.

A pity as the individual in question claims (and would seem) to have an unrivalled depth of knowledge into the ins and outs of our hobby and the qualifications to go with it. But that might be the issue. Rik, I have locked horns with this individual in the past, on several occasions. They went so far as to seem to suggest, not that long ago, that I had no place in this hobby as I had a limited understanding of electrical matters. I remember this individual "hijacking" a thread I had started and setting about vilifying a poor unfortunate wealthy hobbyist he felt had slighted him. He went on to mock this individual, regaling and glorying in to all and sundry, with the information that by this time, the "miscreant" had successively lost his business, his 4 acre property, wife and livelihood. Nice. My father brought me up to face down bullies. Max

Not sure why we are "beating about the bush", this person Greg Elmassian is not a member of this forum (as far as I Know), so you are not defaming a forum member, in fact not defaming at all, just the truth.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 04, 2022 8:20 am

Jimmyb wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:53 am
Not sure why we are "beating about the bush", this person Greg Elmassian is not a member of this forum (as far as I Know),
I am NOT 100% certain, but that name does ring a bell from somewhere I'm sure, and the descriptions remind me of a member that we did have for a short while quite a few years ago, before he was removed for causing all sorts of argumenst and problems.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed May 04, 2022 8:58 am

Haters will always hate, simple. People of this nature should not rile you, they should have your sympathy as clearly they have deep rooted issues and are not able to be like me and thee and have an open mind on things, they simply don't know how to. ;) :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 04, 2022 3:51 pm

I have now closed the first survey (197 respondents) and analysed the results in a bit more depth than the interim analysis. Many thanks if you contributed. I have found the results to be very interesting - particularly when it comes to addressing the unsubstantiated claim on our friend's webpage that you need approximately as many chargers as you have locos. His website also maintains that there is no such thing as a universal charger so we need different chargers for every combination of battery packs in our locos (ie one for 1S, another for 2S, etc.) ......... Presumably refuting this is bizarre claim is yet another example of the Battery Mafia in action??

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2022/0 ... terim.html

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 04, 2022 6:45 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:51 pm ......... Presumably refuting this is bizarre claim is yet another example of the Battery Mafia in action??
You are obviously actively recruiting for your 'Family'. :lol:

I do have a problem though, because if he is correct, presumably my batteries with various chemistry's will all stop charging now? Plus, SWMBO will be on my neck because I can't charge the Pb battery for her garden water feature. :roll:
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Wed May 04, 2022 11:45 pm

Tingewickmax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:18 am Interesting. It seems a certain person has form dissing other forum members when they offer alternative opinions to their own firmly held ones. Could not help but notice one of their previous posts, from a year or so ago, where they stated they left another forum due to the overblown egos of those who posted on that site. Strangly my recollections was that forum's host was moved to openly warn that certain person(s) would be barred if they did not desist with their garrulous behaviour towards others. It was notable that immediately after that threat, a formally very prolific poster on that forum went MIA. Hoving up on a certain UK based forum, and prooving to be equally prolific garrulous there.

I was frequent viewer of the forum and saw first hand how he operates.
He was warned to curtail the argumentative posts or face a banning.
He calmed down for a week or two then fired up taking a comment posted to a thread (battery v track power) as a direct attack on himself and the owner of the site banned him.
Since then the forum is now a much calmer friendly place.

His other passion is forum post monitor telling new people how to post.

His reputation is well known around the forums in the US.
Last edited by GAP on Thu May 05, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am

It is a pity. I get the impression he does possess some useful knowledge and experience but assumes that his is the answer to every question and any query is a personal insult.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 05, 2022 8:36 am

philipy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:45 pm You are obviously actively recruiting for your 'Family'. :lol:
Anyone know a good source of horses' heads?

Rik
------------------------