Llangollen Festival

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Llangollen Festival

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:10 am

Is there any other member going to the Llangollen Festival on the 14th of May. It would be great to meet and have a chat.

This is the first one I believe, there was one planned for last year or the year before if I remember :scratch: but it was cancelled do to the pandemic.

www.lgrf.co.uk

5029373D-BD17-48B3-AA40-78C720C824DE_1_201_a.jpeg
5029373D-BD17-48B3-AA40-78C720C824DE_1_201_a.jpeg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3885 times

Andrew

Re: Llangollen Festival

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:55 pm

I was hoping to Rod, it looks like fun, and the Llangollen Railway's a delight, but the friend I was hoping to stay with is away - staying with us here in Bristol!

Have fun!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:20 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:55 pm I was hoping to Rod, it looks like fun, and the Llangollen Railway's a delight, but the friend I was hoping to stay with is away - staying with us here in Bristol!

Have fun!
Shame that Andrew...and we will have lots of fun I am sure of it.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:14 pm

I am aiming to attend. However, that is on the assumption nothing else crops up in the meantime..... :?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Hoping to be there.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:16 pm

Hoping to be there.

Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 14, 2022 5:48 am

On a lighter and more enjoyable note.......

All ready to go to the Festival today. Can't wait to see some trains running and meet some new people. I love going to exhibitions and seeing what is going on with our hobby, it does inspire me so much.

:thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 14, 2022 10:47 pm

Well, that was a really good day! I spent a very enjoyable hour or so in the small hall and bought a few bits and pieces, then had some lunch. I was thinking of going back to the car when, by chance, I discovered there was actually another larger hall, a very very large hall.

Thoroughly recommended if you're thinking of going.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 15, 2022 8:44 am

A few photos

The small hall
IMG_20220514_112512_695.jpg
IMG_20220514_112512_695.jpg (821.24 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
IMG_20220514_113651_973.jpg
IMG_20220514_113651_973.jpg (543.18 KiB) Viewed 3713 times

The main hall
IMG_20220514_122906_957.jpg
IMG_20220514_122906_957.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3713 times

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 15, 2022 11:01 am

What a wonderful sight seeing all of those people enjoying our hobby together! That must have been quite an experience and a great show, sorry I wasn't able to attend this year but, no doubt, it will be repeated next year. Some of my local friends were there so I will hear all about it in due course!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 15, 2022 3:02 pm

Well we have just got back, what a superb show it was. Sorry we didn't get to met up Rik, :| It would have been great to catch up and chat. But not to worry we may hopefully meet up someday with more of the members at a show one day, maybe we could have a stall at a show and encourage more people who enjoy our hobby to join the forum, we may get to have a lot more ideas and enjoy the wonderful camaraderie of our forum even more.

Anne and I had a pleasant 4 hours talking to lots of people and even getting a few phones numbers, if anything comes of it great, but if not it was very pleasurable chatting with them The were loads of traders and I did chat with some that I have done business with, I have got a couple of bargains that were offered to me with even more money off. That can't be a bad thing hey.....

Hopefully if it goes on next year, we can arrange to hold a meeting place for us to meet and exchange pleasantries.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun May 15, 2022 3:41 pm

Finally, this was the show that those of us who live in the west of the UK have craved for the last 11 years, since the last one at Stoneleigh. The Event Manager confirmed to me that it will be back next year, and the year after, at the same venue but reconfigured to have it all in the large hall, which can be made larger than yesterday to suit. As one who has never been to the Peterborough show this will act as my very acceptable substitute (mainly as it is only just over an hour away) and it sort of puts Peterborough in to a "that other show" category. No AGM, of course, but input to that can be done through he post or email.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 15, 2022 7:20 pm

Just got back after a great 4 day stay in Llangollen, which of course included the show. I met other members of the North West Area Group and a few other familiar faces. Like Rik, I first thought the smaller hall was it - a pleasant surprise to see the larger hall. And the natural light in the larger hall was a real bonus too.
Like Tony, I'm pleased we have another venue for shows in the west of the UK, even if it's not far from Llanfair (is that returning to the schedule?)
I also took time to go to the Llangollen Railway - a great shame to see it in it's diminished state, but hopefully the volunteers can get it back to its former glory, and regularly running steam again.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Red Star
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Star » Sun May 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I also enjoyed yesterday - was a long journey down from Glasgow and back in the same day, but well worth it even if the steam loco I brought along for running didn't want to play. Had a good catch up with many people, even by chance bumping into someone on the bus from Ruabon and was able to put a few faces to names of people who I've only emailed previously. Didn't go overboard with my spending (surprisingly), but came away with a few useful bits and pieces. Getting there, not much of a difference between travelling to there or Peterborough for me

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 17, 2022 11:38 am

It's brilliant that members found the show great and it looks like it will be a regular show in the future. We are already planning to go next year. I myself enjoyed our time there and we could have, well I could, :lol: :lol: gone on for longer. But Anne saw that I was getting tired, how do they see these things :dontknow: so we left carrying some stuff. Wish I had the money though to buy more stock. I was looking for some bogies, but I really didn't see any. Still it was nice to see the show really well attended and I am sure it will go from strength to strength. That's if they get the sign posting sorted out....... :oops: :oops:

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Tue May 17, 2022 3:18 pm

A very good show, much enjoyed. The small hall was a bit crowded and the existence of the larger hall was not very obvious but that was the better place to be.

Phil