An unexpected railwayana find

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

An unexpected railwayana find

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 am

Came across this rather nice shunters' lamp at an antiques fair last weekend. I'd been tempted by similar Queensland Railways lamps at swap meets before, but this one had already been retrofitted (albiet rather crudely) with an electric bulb. I figured if someone else has already done the butchering, buying this would net me a lamp, without the guilt! ;)

Taking a closer look, revealed it wasn't even from Australia, but from BR's Western region! I'm more of an LNER fellow, but when offered at a quarter off, I said "why not?" Seller didn't know how it got here, though he did say it was "very early". I did find a near-identical GWR lamp on Google images, so I'll take his word for it. If anyone here knows anything about these lamps, I'd certainly be interested to hear it.

I'll see to it that the dodgy wiring is replaced with something safe, before using it. Now to find somewhere to put it in my little caravan..
Merged_document(1).jpg
Merged_document(1).jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 910 times
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: An unexpected railwayana find

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:41 am

What a wonderful find Aaron, just the kind of thing I would be tempted by too. I can't help with information though, but someone here will know I'm sure.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 am

Very nice!

There was a lamp in my Nan's East London shed that I think was a Great Eastern shunter's lamp - that wouldn't be surprising given my Dad's love of all things GE and his (youthful...) habit of pinching bits of railwayana... Alas, when we cleared her house after she'd died it was no longer there. Almost completely off topic, but we never solved the mystery of the legendary model boat which she'd said was in the attic either - there was no access so we couldn't have a look. Or work out how she knew it was there, come to that...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 am Very nice!

There was a lamp in my Nan's East London shed that I think was a Great Eastern shunter's lamp - that wouldn't be surprising given my Dad's love of all things GE and his (youthful...) habit of pinching bits of railwayana... Alas, when we cleared her house after she'd died it was no longer there. Almost completely off topic, but we never solved the mystery of the legendary model boat which she'd said was in the attic either - there was no access so we couldn't have a look. Or work out how she knew it was there, come to that...
Did someone mention the GER? !!
One of my distant relatives was a porter at Harwich Station. Unfortunately, no railwayana has been passed down to me

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube