Ffestiniog Prince.

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Ffestiniog Prince.

Post by River Lin » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:29 pm

Hi all.
Old photos of Prince working its first trains across the Cob in 1955 show it to be painted in green but it does not look to be in good condition. Would members think, like me, that there is a good chance that although Prince had been rebuilt with a new boiler by the new order, this was the original paint from before 1946 when the railway closed down.
David.
20211108_161222.jpg
20211108_161222.jpg (795.64 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
FR archive collection.
David T.

Andrew

Re: Ffestiniog Prince.

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:21 am

Interesting question - are you choosing a colour for a new RH one?

I had a look at the liveries chapter of the 7mm Association book of FR drawings, but it's a bit vague on later liveries, other than for a couple of specific locos.

I reckon it's possible/likely though - engines were painted in liveries other than red/maroon in the latter years. Festipedia says Prince was receiving a boiler/mechanical overhaul when the line closed, during which they'd have lifted off the cab and saddletank and uncoupled the tender, quite possibly leaving them unpainted to be reassembled by the preservationists a decade later?

I have a RH Small England on order, it's being assembled at the moment, which is very exciting - I've opted for the maroon the prototype's in, which seems a good match for the current livery and, I think, appropriate for the 1920s...

All the best,

Andrew

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi Andrew.
I took delivery last Thursday. This is it's/his/her first gentle run in steam on blocks. A little sticky yet but to be expected. The colour is quite vivid and shiny but I do like the green.
Screenshot_20211109-152223_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211109-152223_Gallery.jpg (470.63 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Not sure yet about name.
Palmerston - I have no affinity with this loco so maybe not.
Princess - one of the first to be delivered. No.1 and the last to run under the old order in 1946.
Prince - one of the first to be delivered. No 2 and the first steam loco to run under the new order. My first memory of a Ffestiniog loco.
prince1tyb'58.JPG
prince1tyb'58.JPG (274.04 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Taken by me with a 5 shilling Woolworths camera in 1958 of Prince (in green?) at TYB.
So maybe Prince. Hence the original question about liveries.
David.
David T.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Beautiful! I like the green too... I'd go for Prince with that colour scheme - you've made me think how nice it would be if the real thing were to appear in green again...

Mine will be Palmerston, largely because it's being purchased with a bequest from my Godfather, who was badge-wearing member of the Liberal party...

Love the photo, by the way...

Andrew.

Daven
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Daven » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:37 pm

According to a piece by Allan Garraway in Michael Whitehouse's book "Narrow Gauge Album 1950-1965 " Prince after its overhaul "simply received a coat of green paint to enter service" but there is no mention of what colour it was when it went in to the works.
David Newell

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi.
I am still of the impression that the above old photo shows old paint. Maybe it is before AG got his paint brush out. :)
David.
David T.