Two into one will go.

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
philipy

Re: Two into one will go.

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:42 pm

Courtesy of Kia, the car came with 12months free top of the range RAC cover including roadside recovery, plus a guaranteed renewal price for years 2 & 3 which is only marginally more than I was paying for Green Flag for my little Citroen.
... and before anyone asks, the fullycomp insurance is £18 a year more than I was paying for my 6 year old Citroen.

I guess if it looked really desperate, I'd call for help before the battery was completely flat.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:42 pm

Here's something to be aware of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks Peter, interesting. I guess thats a problem that really only affects that % of the population who have multiple cars that don't get driven for 12 months!
I'm not wealthy enough to be able to afford a Tesla :lol: and I don't think ( but I will check) that the Kia's battery is as difficult to get to as that appears to be. From memory it is simply in roughly the same posion as a conventional car.
There was an issue a year or two ago on mine, whereby the 12v battery went flat fairly easily because it is a low capacity one and things like dashcams could drain it if left on in parking mode, and at that time the main battery didn't automatically recharge it. However they have fixed that issue and also, now when the 12v battery reaches a low level, it switches off everything attached so that there is enough power left for essential things like unlocking and starting. To be on the safe side I have bought a 12v jump start pack ( although whether I will remember to keep that charged is another question!).
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:39 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:03 am ...... To be on the safe side I have bought a 12v jump start pack ......
How about getting a Deltang Rx65c receiver for it as well ....... ;) :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 pm

Very informative Philip. That is just the sort of practical info needed by those unfamiliar with electric cars, who maybe are considering going electric. You would think that with the pressure to get every one converted to electric vehicles there would have been more effort put into the infrastructure.
Despite being someone who supported Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth in the 70's and 80's I am a bit unconvinced by the current (no pun intended) direction of travel. The most pollution any car ever causes is during the manufacturing process, and that holds true for electric as well as fossil fuel vehicles. I can't help but harbour the suspicion that the development of electric vehicles which could have started years ago has been held back by the corporate giants until they got their ducks in a row and felt confident that they could turn eco awareness to their advantage.
I run a business which involves 3.5 tonne vans and our work would be almost out of the question with the electric van options available.
Apart from the price, which I'm sure would be breathtaking, the range would be a serious issue. Also weight is a major issue in these vans and I suspect that battery weights would have an impact on payload.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:45 pm

invicta280 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 pm
Apart from the price, which I'm sure would be breathtaking, the range would be a serious issue. Also weight is a major issue in these vans and I suspect that battery weights would have an impact on payload.
I know nothing about it as such, but I believe that Hydrogen powered vehicles are being proposed for heavier load hauling.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-59119721

and JCB are working towards Hydrogen powered "JCB's".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59107805
Philip

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:02 pm

"I believe that Hydrogen powered vehicles are being proposed for heavier load hauling."

Yes, that seems like a more sensible option for heavy duty use maybe. I heard that JCB are leading the field in this.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:18 am

How about .....
https://youtu.be/_3P_S7pL7Yg

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:27 pm

invicta280 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 pm Very informative Philip. That is just the sort of practical info needed by those unfamiliar with electric cars, who maybe are considering going electric. You would think that with the pressure to get every one converted to electric vehicles there would have been more effort put into the infrastructure.
Despite being someone who supported Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth in the 70's and 80's I am a bit unconvinced by the current (no pun intended) direction of travel. The most pollution any car ever causes is during the manufacturing process, and that holds true for electric as well as fossil fuel vehicles. I can't help but harbour the suspicion that the development of electric vehicles which could have started years ago has been held back by the corporate giants until they got their ducks in a row and felt confident that they could turn eco awareness to their advantage.
I run a business which involves 3.5 tonne vans and our work would be almost out of the question with the electric van options available.
It seems some are planning ahead - a modular electric powered van system, being developed in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-59077475
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:33 pm

It has been a while since I visited this thread and, as I have just heard about a proposed new 'surge tax' on the use of electricity at peak times,( which can be measured by smart meters in the home at 30 minute intervals), I wondered how EV drivers feel about this new financial penalty? This must surely impact on the charging of EV's during the evenings or overnight, particularly when the majority of drivers would find it most convenient?
I appreciate all fuel costs are increasing, but this is something which may not have been considered by EV drivers at the time of purchase. If this is due to restricted electrical supply then already there is a recognition that insufficient infrastructure is available to cope with demand?
I imagine that future installation of home charge points will come with a condition of smart meter connection too. Something I have managed to avoid so far.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi Peter,
I've not heard anything about this new tax you mentioned so I can't comment on that.
Currently some, but not all, Leccy suppliers do reduced overnight tariffs for say 4 or 6 hours, to encourage people to use washing machines etc during the period of lowest grid demand and for people who need to charge cars every day that is ideal. I am just on a standard tariff because mileage and battery size is such that I charge it to 80% once every 4-6 weeks and it is not cost effective to go for one of the reduced night tariffs and pay more during the day.

As for smart meters, don't get me started! Some years ago British Gas wanted to put one in and I reluctantly agreed. 6 months later I switched supplier to N.Power, but they couldn't link in to the BG smart meter, so we had to revert to taking manual readings, and then the fun started. I was taking readings from the indoors display unit and logging them on line as required. Every 6 months they still send a man to read the meter anyway and suddenly I got bounced with a bill for 5 Grand! It took months and months and two meter changes before I got them to understand that one gas combi-boiler couldn't have used that much gas if was working 24/7. It transpired that the indoor unit was reading differently to the outdoor unit, despite the fact that they should be the same. Which one was correct I still have no idea, but we eventually resolved things after they put old fashioned manual meters back in and took we readings from them for a few months and then extrapolated to a full year.
So smart meters?... over my dead body!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:40 pm

Philip, this is where I saw the information regarding the way smart meters can be used to 'encourage' users to change their reliance on electricity in the home at peak times....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMl2S2JMWI

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:21 pm

It seems there are schemes planned to boost supplies to the national grid by taking power from electric vehicle batteries. https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/electr ... technology
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:35 am

Thats interesting Phil, thanks. I have vaguly heard of this before but didn't realise it had got as far as trials. Despite what it says, the Chademo charger connection is very much in the minority these days. The CCS is the most common these days and more and more manufacturers/models now use it. In fact Tesla is switching to it for their non-USA markets.

There are also proposals in future for when EV car batteries fall below their usable capacity but still have life, to take them out and create big battery storage banks to supplement the grid.
Philip