Llangollen Railway urgent appeal.

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Andrew

Llangollen Railway urgent appeal.

Post by Andrew » Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 am

Hi all,

Followers of full-size railway news may be aware that the lovely Llangollen Railway is in trouble. The PLC that ran the trains was seemingly mismanaged for years and has gone into receivership. The supporting Trust and its volunteers have secured the right to take over operation, but much of the PLC's stock, including a dozen carriages, is being auction off, with bids ending tomorrow.

If you fancy contributing to the Trust's fund to bid for vital carriages (their immediate priority is an accessible carriage for disabled visitors), you can do so here; https://llangollenrailway.enthuse.com/profile.

Thanks,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Llangollen Railway urgent appeal.

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 11, 2021 10:02 am

Thanks Andrew. I hadn't realised they were in such dire straits. Every little helps, I suppose.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Tue May 11, 2021 1:08 pm

Reading the comics - Steam Railway, Heritage Railway and The Railway magazine over the past 3 months as this story unfolded - my understanding is that the railway's current insolvency predicament is mostly a result of issues regarding it's contract engineering services operations and not through long term mismanagement of the railway as a whole. Your generalization might be slighting quite a few innocent individuals with your comment. Yes, the Covid-19 situation that has limited earnings severely for the past 15 months does not help but general mismanagement of the line is not believed to be a cause. Those who wish to should support this railway in any way they see fit, it's beautiful line. Max

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Fair enough, although I believe the contract engineering side was run by the PLC, and the problems there had been growing over several years, so I think "mismanagement" is reasonable - I think most of the PLC board resigned recently. There's certainly no slight intended, least of all to the volunteers who are now trying to pick up the pieces...

Andrew.