This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: New Forum Funding

Post by HugoFitz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:05 pm
Jimmyb wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:22 pm
What I would like to see is THIS forum continue, with the site and domain name transferred, along with any other administration to a new owner, and nothing being lost.
I think that's what we'd all prefer, and an option is being explored - we just need to keep our fingers crossed...

Andrew.
Absolutely!

I think other thoughts around the subject are being explored as a just incase...

philipy

Re: NEW FORUM FUNDING

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Good news and bad news folks!

The GOOD news is that subject to ratification, our member 'steves' has offered to take ownership of the Forum in its entirety, as is, so that nothing will apparently change. Please go to Steve's thread to register your agreement asap. https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13018

The BAD news is that money is required! :( Almost 3 years ago when Tom took over and setup the current forum there was an appeal which raised enough cash to fund it for 3 years. My request for donations a week ago has generated promises for not quite enough to cover one year. So we need about another £40 within the next few days because the Host site needs payment upfront to get the best deal of £158.26 inc VAT

Please PM me with your promises and I will confirm to everyone the actual payment arrangements - we are hoping to be able to set up a dedicated Paypal account.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:21 pm

There is £18.28 left from the donation drive that Big Jim organised in 2017 so these funds will be donated once my name is no longer associated with the forum domain name and hosting.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks Tom
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 am

Fantastic news. :wav:

The payment will now keep us being able to keep in my opinion the best forum on the internet for information, friendly members and even friends that we would have lost if the forum had disappeared.

Thank you Steve for taking on the forum. I/We are so grateful to you for willing to keep what must be a very hard job. But now we are safe, maybe we can go on to even greater things.

And a big thanks to Phillip, Andrew and Rik for keeping us informed with the work they have done in keeping the forum for all of us.

THANK YOU :salute: :salute: :salute:

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 am

I would suggest posting prominently a call for funds outside of the member’s logged-in area, as casual visitors (and members who don’t log-in, as I often don’t) are not going to realise what’s going on — and that their help is needed.

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:42 pm

My random thought that I've suggested to the admins is how about using something like Patreon to fund the forum.

It would only take 30 people paying £0.50 per month to cover the costs by my reckoning...

Amazing value for the content that people share here to my mind.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 am

Errr, I would rather pay annually.....