Warning the Saleroom Phishing Scam

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Warning the Saleroom Phishing Scam

Post by cncmodeller » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:23 am

I've used the Saleroom website for a few years now but last week I've been hit by a phishing scam popup. So let me explain, I was on the Saleroom website logged in and wished to bid on an item on another associated Auctioneers and I received a popup message that to bid I needed to pay a small fee via debit card to authenticate myself. This I duly did but nothing seemed to change much, until a couple of days later nearly £600 was taken from my account and used for mostly online gaming subscriptions.
To muddy the water further I decided to telephone the Saleroom and the number listed in google for them is a sex toy online store?! The chap has had a string of similar calls and was very helpful and is going to get the number removed.
So be warned.

John

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Warning the Saleroom Phishing Scam

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi John
That's appalling! These #@$¥¥®©π scammers are getting bolder and cleverer. I was watching that Panorama programme showing how unfeeling and manipulative they are even when talking on the phone to a punter suffering from depression who was in tears when he was erroneously told he'd have to pay several hundred pounds to protect his computer ...... There are no sufficient adjectives available which adequately describe how I regard these people.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Yes I agree, I was talking to my Bank who stopped some payments to a UK based online women's clothing company, which if you think about it could be followed up and find the actual orders. But they won't as its too wide spread and they have millions of cases like this to deal with.

John

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dasher » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 pm

I had a call from "HMRC" whilst on the train last Thursday. They informed me that they had evidence that I have wilfully defrauded them and that a warrant had been issued for my arrest. Far fetched - yes, but when it is being put to you in a very believable way. it is easy to be caught. I have a limited company and they had my filing details (which of course is public domain). When I told them that they needed to speak to my accountant they went very nice and offered to speak to the police for me. 2 minutes later I got a call from a local number pertaining to be the police station local to my address. I asked for the officer's number, which wasn't forthcoming and then said I needed to speak to my solicitor - at which point the phone went dow. The scammer tells you that you have underpaid by a small but not insignificant amount (approx £1500) and that you can pay by card. The longer you speak, the more rational you become and the more you start to spot that it is a scam. They didn't get me but be very wary - it is a very believable trick.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 am

While I was round at my 98 year old mum's house the phone rang and mum handed it to me. Fortunately, she rarely engages with anyone she doesn't recognise on the phone. The voice at the other end had a very strong Indian accent. I struggled to understand what he was saying so I asked him to repeat it. After the third attempt, he slowly and carefully said something along the lines of "You are having problems with your Microsoft computer". I told him we don't have a computer - which is true, my mum doesn't have one. "You sir, are a liar!" came the response and the phone went dead.

At least he called me sir. I now wish I had strung him along as at the time I suspected he was a scammer.

Rik
------------------------

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:26 am

We had a similar thing at work a few years back and my boss at the time who could talk a good yarn strung her along saying no we have good protection etc etc and after half an hour she got angry and said " you're wasting my time " my boss said " No you're wasting mine!"
John

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:06 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 am "You sir, are a liar!"
I reversed that situation and called a decidedly Indian sounding caller "a liar" and he got terribly offended, which made me smile. We get "Nicole" telling us our internet will be cut off, anything up to three times a day. It seems the Internet has opened up a whole new world for those who want to prey on others.
Grant.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:16 am

Caller: Your computer is generating internet errors which I can fix for you.
Me: Oh dear... Would you like me to turn it on and connect to the internet?
Caller: Yes please.
Me: OK, hang on a second...

I then play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

At this point they either hang up or give me load of abuse and hang up. One said "Oh, that's good, that's very clever, I've not had that one before" and hung up.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:25 pm

TonyW wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:16 am Caller: Your computer is generating internet errors which I can fix for you.
Me: Oh dear... Would you like me to turn it on and connect to the internet?
Caller: Yes please.
Me: OK, hang on a second...

I then play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

At this point they either hang up or give me load of abuse and hang up. One said "Oh, that's good, that's very clever, I've not had that one before" and hung up.
Excellent!! I must try that if ever I get one of those calls.
Rik
------------------------

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 am

I was recently offered "call safe" by Talk Talk free of charge, brilliant no more scam or any kind of annoying calls, in fact I sometimes wonder if the phone is working as it rarely rings. Mildly frustrating to the genuine caller the first time they ring as they have to go through an acceptance process but that's only once, thereafter when they ring the call comes through as normal. I highly recommend this if you have the opportunity to get it.
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:47 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 am I was recently offered "call safe" by Talk Talk free of charge, brilliant no more scam or any kind of annoying calls, in fact I sometimes wonder if the phone is working as it rarely rings. Mildly frustrating to the genuine caller the first time they ring as they have to go through an acceptance process but that's only once, thereafter when they ring the call comes through as normal.
We've had Truecall since 2014, it costs £20 a year but is worth it. We rarely get any nuisance calls these days.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:57 am

They are scum. I had another attempt at getting something off my credit card, luckily because it has happened before, if the credit card company see that I have supposedly used my card for a transaction that they feel is suspicious, they contact me before any payment is made. This happened twice recently with the scammer trying to buy something from Jadlam Racing Ltd. They are mainly slot car sellers, though they do model railways. I don't do slot car racing....The scammer tried again to buy from the same company for the same amount. They didn't get it. They also tried on the same day to buy from this company, FurnOn, which is a cheap furniture seller. Now I don't process to say that these are companies are bad, I have never dealt with them. It's the :cussing: scammer who is vile....