Internet "forums" are a thing of the past

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Internet "forums" are a thing of the past

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

I run a couple of FB groups and on the more busy ones I have a couple of co-admins that can also approve members. Always good to have several people to share the task.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 am

Is it really that important to be approved quickly. You can still see all that is going on within the forum and view all the threads, so waiting to be approved for me is not an issue. Has for Facebook, I don't use it that much nowadays mainly because of the idiots that go on it and the language can be often really nasty, as can the comments. Ok, this is a really friendly forum and no one is really nasty. Most members are very civilised, in fact all are, except for one that will be nameless. And if anything doesn't seem to look right or a member may have done or built something that is some what odd, I do a lot of odd stuff... :lol: There is always the option of sending a PM.

Enjoy our short lives and everything that goes with it. I do after what I have been through these last few years. Can't wait to get our line sorted again......

Paul_in_Ricky
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_in_Ricky » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:38 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 amIs it really that important to be approved quickly.
Yes, if you want a forum to thrive. People who apply to join, by implication, want to contribute. More active contributors make the forum better.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

I think you will find that this forum is very strong when it comes to contributors... :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Paul_in_Ricky wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:38 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 amIs it really that important to be approved quickly.
Yes, if you want a forum to thrive.

I have no idea how checks (if any) can possibly be made to be able to approve applicants for membership of the Forum. I have been a member, and active contributor, for many years now and have seen members start, disappear, and then return, only to find they are not suitable company amongst others here. They might have been accepted based on previous experience only, not current activities or thoughts.

People who apply to join, by implication, want to contribute. More active contributors make the forum better.
It is true we always get more communication flowing when there are active contributors on the Forum. However, I have been aware of a number of names which appear on the 'Registered users' list who turn out to have joined as members months, or sometimes years previously, only to find they have never contributed anything. There is no reason why they have joined at all but they have passed the entrance process anyway. How can checks on their suitability be assessed?
In reality we are not playing the numbers game, those who are interested enough to join and remain as contributors will reap the most pleasure and benefit from the help and support of other members. I treat members of the Forum as a group of friends and have made personal contact with several of them. Long may it continue.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:26 pm

I have modified the user registration page to say that unless you email AFTER creating an account then the account will not be activated.

Now, let's get back to the trains please...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 am

Well said Peter. A lot of members don't contribute at all, but don't you think also that they just what to find out and learn from just reading and looking at threads maybe. I have seen quite a few just joined members who go onto the "For Sale" thread to sell an item and you never hear from them again.

Tom, isn't this an "Off-Topic" thread... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:45 pm

I have followed this thread from the start and have finally been shamed into contributing something as I guess I am one of those members who doesn't contribute much, at least recently, although I did manage an entry in the quarterly photo gallery a few months back.

I can't really comment on the health of forums in general. The only other one I belong to is the E type Jaguar forum which is extremely active. There is always something new to read and I've learnt most of what I know about the car from it, though, again, I rarely contribute. But it has a different type of content - mainly people asking for help or advice and there are always plenty of people who know more than I do.

As for this forum, it certainly seems quieter than it once was in terms of new topics, but I don't think it's a thing of the past. A lot of people seem to use the Facebook group now but that's really only good for posting the odd photo or asking a question. Posts soon disappear into oblivion and you can never find something again that you saw the previous day. I find it very irritating and completely unsuitable for long running threads that tell a story or provoke a discussion. That, I think, is the strength of the forum, plus the fact that it is a searchable resource.

As for myself, I haven't contributed recently as I haven't had anything to contribute. I am retired so don't have much time for modelling ! No, that's not really true, what I lack these days is energy and motivation. But I did make good progress on the line last year and I have another project on the go so hope to be able to write something soon. In the meantime I do come here regularly and keep up with what's being posted as, perhaps, others do so perhaps the health of the forum shouldn't be judged just on the number of new posts.

Perhaps, instead of just taking from the forum, I should make more effort to make an occasional comment even if I've nothing really to say. The odd "I like what you've done" or similar would add a little bit of life to the forum and maybe encourage those who've taken the trouble to write about their efforts.
Brian

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 am

Snailrail wrote: ↑Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:45 pm That, I think, is the strength of the forum, plus the fact that it is a searchable resource.
Totally agree Brian, I find myself constantly going back over past items for reference and ideas, ok the PhotoBucket debacle has meant many pics. are un-viewable but there is much info to be gleaned on here.
Grant.
PS glad your enjoying your retirement.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:56 am

LNR wrote: ↑Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 am ok the PhotoBucket debacle has meant many pics. are un-viewable but there is much info to be gleaned on here.
Grant.
This is why photos should be uploaded to the forum rather than using 3rd party image hosts.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 am

Well said Brian. Yes the odd comment like you say is always welcome to members and you are correct, this is a thriving forum with discussions that really do help with members even if they don't comment.

Has for members knowing more than you do...You are reading a post from someone who knows absolutely nothing.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope to see your new project soon. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am

Forums are my life-line as there is very little interest in this hobby where I live. There is no one around to discuss ideas with face to face. We don't have model engineering societies like you do in UK. This makes it very hard to fulfill my ambition to manufacture locos. Therefore I'm greatful for any and all feedback I get from this forum even though I suspect my posts might be annoying to many members.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56 am

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am Therefore I'm greatful for any and all feedback I get from this forum even though I suspect my posts might be annoying to many members.
Not at all.

There are many of you that are very capable and explain your subjects so well that a response from a mere amateur like me is pointless.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am I'm greatful for any and all feedback I get from this forum .
Me too!
Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am even though I suspect my posts might be annoying to many members
Not at all! I don't understand everything that gets posted on here, but I don't find any of it annoying - well, not unless people start getting cross with each other anyway, that's a bit irksome...

Work and family commitments mean that joining a local group isn't really an option for me at the moment, so this forum's pretty much the only contact I have with fellow garden railway modelers...

With best wishes,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm

I used to post regularly on here but now I don't bother due to receiving some not very nice personal and public messages from another forum user on this forum who didn't like what I had to say, even though I was polite, not abusive, and trying to offer constructive advice. I now only read what others are up to and don't bother sharing my own efforts. I am still active with our local are group of the Association of Narrow Gauge Modellers and do believe that forums still have a useful role even for me just reading it as I only do now. This is no longer a place for discussion or sharing my views on our hobby as I don't want the hassle of any more criticism from people who are completely unaware of my personal circumstances, which I chose to keep private.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:57 am

There is of course a member on here who just keeps a chip on their shoulder, no matter what the other member does to resolve..... :banghead:

Thats the way of the world unfortunately. But thankfully it's not anything like Facebook, which can get really ugly....
Last edited by FWLR on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:36 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am Forums are my life-line as there is very little interest in this hobby where I live. There is no one around to discuss ideas with face to face. We don't have model engineering societies like you do in UK. This makes it very hard to fulfill my ambition to manufacture locos. Therefore I'm greatful for any and all feedback I get from this forum even though I suspect my posts might be annoying to many members.
I couldn't agree more (not about the annoying part- you are anything but annoying): I live in Northern Canada, and the weather isn't really friendly to outdoor steam models for much of the year (I'm pretty sure butane is a solid at the current temperature) there aren't, as far as I am aware, any people who are interested in Garden Trains here, especially British ones. I am lucky that there is a model railway club in my small city, but they are interested in modern North American-style trains, and model in 1:87 scale. But at least they are willing to tolerate my posting pictures of my wagons on "face book".

One of the nicest experiences I've had in this solitary (to me) hobby was in 2017 when I went to the 16mm association annual exhibition in Peterborough. This was only the second time in my life I'd ever seen a 16mm live steam engine other than my own in steam! The first being a visit to Keith Neat's (whom I met via this forum) railway in East Herts the year before.

At the AGM I recognized from pictures and was able to introduce myself to forum members. I met Douglas, Zach Bond, Tag Gorton, Brian Dominic, Keith Neat, Harri from Roundhouse, and Tony Bird, who kindly allowed me to hang around his railway and run some of his engines. All this was because I knew these people from forum activity and it made my visit to Peterborough rather more rewarding than it might otherwise have been. Alas, none of these fellows seems to ever come here any more. I will almost certainly meet more of you the next time I go to Peterborough, hopefully.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 am

IanC wrote: ↑Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm I used to post regularly on here but now I don't bother
That's a shame Ian, I for one have enjoyed the banter we have had over various railway matters. Glad we can still remain in touch via MAWLAG.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 am

One thing about using this forum Keith is the chance to meet others at shows like Peterborough. I myself have met a lot of people at shows and steam up's. Some good and some, well I will say no more... :(

I know you don't have a chance to where you live to have a meet, but you never know mate, one day. Try putting a flyer in the local store and have an open day. You may get some other's persons who will start also. Even if it's only one, at least you have made contact. :thumbright:

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:05 pm

I will be attending Peterborough again this year (Stewarding Friday, and Saturday after the show), and although I chatted with a number of my fellow Stewards, and some of my favoured suppliers, it might be nice to meet some of the people with whom we converse online.

I don't think I've knowingly met any forum members apart from Steve from whom I bought a chassis.
Sometimes you put two and two together and match a forum user with their corresponding identity on the 16mm facebook group, but I'm sure their is a lot of crossover that isn't obvious.

A while ago people discussed wearing badges based on the forum logo with our User Names when attending shows, it might be an interesting idea to resurrect this and/or to have a loose arrangement to congregate somewhere specific at a given time.
I already have a pin-badge based on my avatar that I shall wear.