Post Length

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Big Jim

Post Length

Post by Big Jim » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 pm

My thought is that they need to be at least 18 inches longer than the fence panel is tall. Unless you are using MetPosts (other metal devices for banging into the ground are available).

:thumbright:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Post Length

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 pm

I couldn't agree more
:thumbleft:

I wonder what the thinking is on how to avoid rot at the base of the post. I have always believed in using concrete which I then trowel to slightly above ground level, angled away from the post in the belief this would allow rain to drain away. However, I've discovered some of the posts I put in using this method thirty-odd years ago have still rotted at the top of the concrete fillet. Or is 30 years about right for wooden fence posts?

Any (helpful) suggestions?

Rik
Last edited by ge_rik on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:44 pm

I used Metposts when I built the continuous circuit on the RWLR and I banged each on in with a one handed mallet, never again!

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:06 pm

I have limited anecdotal evidence to offer for what it's worth..

I bought my current abode just over 22 years ago. It came with an existing carport and a pergola, both with timber frames. I'm not sure but I think both structures will be about 30 years old now.

The carport uprights (4 off) are concreted into the driveway. Rot first became evident about 4 years ago at the concrete level, but they are still fairly solid and I reckon they have a few more years before they get too bad.

The pergola uprights ( again 4) are just sunk into our clay. As far as I know they are not buried in concrete but I don't know if there is hardcore under them. There is no obvious rot on any of them at ground level, but interestingly the cross members at the top are now rotting badly. I replaced one a couple of years ago but really they all need replacing now.

So, I think 30 years life is a reasonable expectation and anything more is a bonus.
Philip

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Wood will always rot betwixt wind and water (or ground level) eventually. Generally speaking where houses are built of wood, the usual custom is to raise the wooden structure a little above ground level, and then make sure the siding goes down to a little below the sill rail of the building so everything stays dry. The main part of our house - which is frame built - stands on a basement with stub walls that run about 2' above ground level, but the two storey rear projection is held up with post pads and has been pretty solid for the last 125 years, though because wind can get under the floor, it is a lot colder than the rest of the house.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 am

A rule of thumb post depth we use is one third of the fence height in the ground. So a 1.8 metre high fence needs a 2.4 metre post :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Dave

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 am

dewintondave wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 am A rule of thumb post depth we use is one third of the fence height in the ground. So a 1.8 metre high fence needs a 2.4 metre post :thumbup:
That's handy, thanks Dave. Just replaced the posts - 4' fence panels with 6' posts - so I was near enough right.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube