On yer bike!

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

On yer bike!

Post by ge_rik » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:43 pm

For Christmas, I got a nice little action camera which I will use as an onboard camera from time to time on the railway. This morning, I gave it a trial on my bike helmet on one of my morning rides.

You may remember a year or so back I commented on motorists overtaking me without giving sufficient clearance. I managed to snap one such this morning. He wasn't the worst I've had by any means, but it's typical of the lack of respect which some motorists give to the vulnerability of cyclists. You'll see I've already had one comment saying he though the overtake was perfectly OK. I'm afraid I do not agree.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: On yer bike!

Post by FWLR » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 am

Having seen your video Rik, I do agree that most of those vehicles were some what close. The van I am sorry to say was unacceptable. If he was driving for me he would get a written warning, if he did it again, the sack.Large vehicles cause a backdraft that can suck you into another mighty wobble.

But then, the mob that go on those club rides are in my opinion, causing unacceptable situations with them riding over the white lines for sometimes ages. Just so they can have a chat with a couple of other riders, or overtake them. They have no thought for others that are coming the other way. Just think, if the vehicles are overtaking you wide enough to be safe for you, meet the club riders coming towards them..........

Generally I give enough room for everyone, but the standard of most road users nowadays is getting worse. With people in a world of their own, thinking or dreaming of other things.

I know you will carry on Rik, and rightly so. Enjoy your rides and that beautiful countryside you live in.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks Rod
I agree that there are some stupid cyclists as well as stupid motorists. Unfortunately, whereas if a car hits a cyclist, the car might get a small scratch along its paintwork, the cyclist will sustain far greater injury. I am nearly 68 years old and so I don't cycle as quickly as I did and am more apt to wobble. I wear a high vis jacket with 'Beware! I swerve to avoid potholes' on the back. But as you see, it doesn't make any difference to some drivers.

With the increase in interest in cycling, lot of police forces are now taking cyclist safety more seriously. More than one are using undercover cyclists to identify drivers who are not sufficiently aware of the danger they pose to cyclists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... o-cyclists

Thank goodness I only cycle on country roads. I do worry about my daughter and son in law who both cycle in London every day.

Rik
------------------------

Robert Hammond
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Robert Hammond » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:04 pm

I too have just enjoyed a morning cycle to Hengistbury Head, and have driven all kinds of vehicles from motorcycles, cars with and without trailers or caravans, vans, trucks, steam engines and five years on coaches. Just as there are many inconsiderate drivers, so the same goes for cyclists. So many pull out without looking, ignore signs, jump red lights, and blame drivers for hitting them. Take care assuming that country roads are safer. I have spent many a frustrating time driving a coach along a B road or country lane and been stuck behind a cyclist for a mile or more with insufficient room to pass safely. I reckon that cycling is better exercise than running because you are bending the joints much further and without your body weight. Happy cycling.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:07 pm

I think what depresses me is the way this issue is handled by the government and by the tabloid press, some of whom seem to enjoy fuelling a hate campaign against cyclists (we're clearly the spawn of the devil). Is it little wonder that the two most despised road users in the UK are cyclists and white van drivers? There was big story in today's Mail about a pedestrian who was hit by a cyclist and received a brain injury. Whilst I have every sympathy for the pedestrian and condemn the cyclist for his stupidity, we seldom read about pedestrians and cyclists who are killed and injured by other road vehicles. I wonder how many pedestrians received brain injuries after being hit by cars - how many big news stories are printed about them? Between 2012 and 2016, 2,120 pedestrians were killed by a vehicle in Britainβ€”0.8% of these involved a bicycle, and 66% involved a car. "Cyclist kills pedestrian" is a lot more newsworthy because it's a relatively rare occurrence.
pedestrian_deaths.png
pedestrian_deaths.png (19.73 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
I wonder if most people appreciate the casualty-rate amongst cyclists. 102 cyclists were killed on British roads in 2016. Around 3,400 were seriously injured, and there were around 15,000 other casualties. Whilst these figures seems less significant than the number of car drivers killed in the same period (816), when you take into account the fact 80% of vehicles on the road are cars and the relative number of miles travelled by bikes v other vehicles, then bikes and motorbikes become the most dangerous mode of transport.
DfT_chart.png
DfT_chart.png (86.58 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Fortunately, police forces are beginning to take action against drivers who pass too close to cyclists - many of whom seem totally oblivious of the impact their driving has on a cyclist - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... o-cyclists

My dad taught me to drive when I was 17 years old (50 years ago). He taught me that horses, cyclists, children, and pedestrians walking along a road where there was no pavement should be given a wide berth. He used to say - "Those buggers can move quicker than you can think - so steer well clear of them!" My wife's uncle was a driving instructor and told her - "Always leave a car-door's width when overtaking a cyclist." I wish everyone was given that message.

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:07 pm

As a regular cyclist and motorist I completely agree with the views expressed here. The police are starting to become more aware of motorists passing too close and driving instructors are now teaching what is known as 'The Dutch Reach'. Small steps in the right direction. I weave about on the roads. To avoid potholes, broken glass and sunken drains and manholes. These hazards are more than enough without careless drivers. I also see cyclists regularly ignoring the highway code and riding recklessly. We are all road users and need to be aware of all users and respect each other.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:18 am

Rik, you are correct. But it seems like this is getting to be against cars and other vehicles. While I agree any loss of life or injury is horrible and regrettable. The way all users of the road are to blame, not just one or two sections. Cyclists ride on pavements like you have described, they just carry straight on at junctions and as for traffic lights, well they do seem to have a death wish. In London the couriers that ride cycles weave in and out of all kinds of traffic, mount pavements and even ride between pedestrian islands, forcing the pedestrian to move out of their way and in most cases, into the road. It's not all cyclists I agree, but everywhere you go there are stupid cyclists and until they and others are taught properly how to use the roads, it will be never ending. I have seen a lot in my time, I too was taught by my Dad when I was 15, admittedly it was on private property, but I did learn how to control the vehicle. It was a 3@half ton Bullnose Bedford. The white van man can be just has stupid also, parking on corners, in bus lanes, anywhere they can so has to do the deliveries. Which they do have to do, otherwise they would be out all day and night to finish. But they don't think of the consequences of their actions. Other road users and pedestrians have to be extra careful when going pass them. I was a Transport Supervisor in my final job for DHL and I can tell you that if any driver was found to be inconsiderate to others, they would get a warning and if any was found to be a danger to others, they were sacked.
I did the driving training for them and if they got more then 3 bad vaults they didn't start driving for me. I did one time tell a potential driver to stop and get out, because when we approached a park car on the left hand side of the road, there was another car coming in the opposite direction, he did not stop, as you are supposed to when another vehicle is approaching you, he carried straight on.... When I asked him why he did that. He said " Thats what his driving instructor told him to do", "It is a case of whoever got there first". What!!! Needless to say he didn't get the job. So the driving instructors are to blame in a lot of ways.

Let's enjoy our roads together and respect each other on the road. We have some of the most beautiful countryside in the world, so please be kind to one another.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Being hit by a car sucks. I'm still dealing with lingering physical issues from my incident.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm

I used to cycle quite a bit, but lost my bottle after one too many encounters with a Chelsea Tractor in my old parish. I am sure they were taught to leave three feet between themselves and a cyclist, but they tended to measure it from the pavement end of my handlebars. As the worst stretch was a length of four-lane highway with a cycle land on either side I eventually reached the conclusion that they were probably unable to give me a wide berth because the guys in the overtaking lane were completely oblivious to anything on the cycle lane. The cycle lane itself was not a lot of help, as it was narrow and had all the manhole covers and drains in it - oh, and guess where the county always put their temporary road signs! If you are a cyclist you just have to accept that you are bottom man on the totem pole, and either cycle with the attitude that everyone is out to get you, or be prepared for a lot of close calls. In the end I gave up and started walking.

I am sure there is a Ph.D. thesis in studying the behaviours of motorists around bike lanes, and of cyclists in bike lanes. It could be a useful follow on project to 'why are so many road users such idiots around level crossing?'

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:47 am

I watched a one hour TV programme last night specifically reporting interaction between cyclists and motorists, also including the behaviour of pedestrians, particularly in towns and cities.
Many cyclists are now using head-cams to record their journeys, motorists too record their events and it was interesting to see how the same incident viewed by two parties concerned could be interpreted in two different ways. Many such incidents are caused by impatience, a sign of the times I fear.
The Police are now cycling around London to record and show such incidents to those involved and attempt to diffuse the situation but appear to let 'offenders' off the hook with just a 'talking to'!.
The worst offenders are courier cyclists who are recruited, encouraged and expected to deliver items as quickly as possible. This includes very fast riding, far too fast for the circumstances. They totally ignore traffic lights, pedestrians, road signs and all other road users without exception. If cars, vans etc. were to do such incredibly stupid things they can be traced by their registration plates and dealt with in the courts. However, cyclists are untrained, unqualified, unregistered and uninsured so simply get away with their outrageous behaviour most of the time.
I do agree that motorists are also caught up in the rush to get goods and services delivered as quickly as possible, but we must remember all this is consumer led and fed by commercial greed...... so it's all our fault!
If we want a safer place to live it will take more than legislation and scapegoats to achieve reform.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Interesting, Peter. I'd not seen that programme was on. I'd be interested in watching it. Which channel?

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:56 pm

I don't see the comments on this thread as against motorists or other vehicles. What comes across to me is there are elements in all road users and pedestrians that are reckless and irresponsible. I think the reason cyclists and motorcyclists get more upset is because of the vulnerability. It's easy to not spot pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists when we're sat cocooned in a steel box. It's always going to be the case that the few who are inconsiderate will give a bad name to the rest of those who use the roads with care.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:49 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm Interesting, Peter. I'd not seen that programme was on. I'd be interested in watching it. Which channel?

Rik
Rik, it was shown on Freeview ch. 11, also Sky ch. 152 and Virgin ch. 123 at 2100 on Sunday 30th December.
The title was ... 'War on Britain's Roads'
Scary stuff!!!!!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:49 pm

Having been a car driver, motorbike rider and cyclist in both town and country I have seen the best and worse of all three.

I think human beings need to be removed from public roads altogether and let technology ferry us around. You can't have both working in harmony you need either 100% autonomous environment or not at all.