Great Model Railway Challenge - Ch5 tonight

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Andrew

Re: Great Model Railway Challenge - Ch5 tonight

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I went to the birthday party of an ex-colleague last night and found that the GMRC was a major topic of conversation, by people I had no idea had an interest in railways! They seemed quite impressed, and tell me that a second series is planned... I still haven't got beyond the first one yet but really should since I know someone who was in the second one and will be in the final - he couldn't reveal if he'd won, but judging by what I could glean from him I'd guess not. As I understand it there was a budget to be spent with a couple of main manufacturers, which probably explains the OO-centric approach.

Incidentally, I Googled the female presenter, and she's a great modeller - so despite the made-up drama, she knows what she's talking about. For me it's just a shame there's seemingly so little interest in realism, but I guess that's one of the ways I happen to get my toy train kicks and not one that's universally shared...

Cheers,

Andrew

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

Actually Andrew, Anne and I have started to enjoy it more. There does seem to be a lot of people talking about it, so I guess it is bringing it too people’s attention. If that gets them into modelling all well and good in my mind.

And I have even started my interest back into N Gauge again, but only a little bit. I have a small test board, that has a removable top, so it doesn’t have any scenery. So I am going to do something with it, nothing too fancy, just enough to use the bit of stuff I have left.

It will be done in-between my 16mm though, that’s my main interest now for life………….

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 am

Well, now the series is over, I must admit to changing my initial impressions and grew to quite enjoy the programme. However, I think it would have been more interesting if they had spent more time showing the detailing on the layouts. There was a glimpse of the atmospheric railway on the Brunel layout, for instance; I'd have liked to see more.

I really enjoyed the way the hardcore modellers undermined the presenters' attempts at engineered jeopardy by, for example, refusing to test run their locos until the last minute and ignoring the pressure to link up their layouts until they were ready.

Looks like another series has been planned which I will now look forward to.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 am

I agree with you in general Rik. Part of the problem is that they didn't give enough air time to letting us actually see the layouts.
The winning effort went from pretty much bare boards to finished multi-level creation with no insight into exactly what they did. My initial thoughts were that it was too gimmicky to really be a worthy winner, but then on reflection I thought that actually, if it was in your average local exhibition it would be impossible to get through the crowds around it.

A 2nd series with a bit more thought into the production could actually be something to look forward to.
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 am However, I think it would have been more interesting if they had spent more time showing the detailing on the layouts.
I stumbled accross some videos on YouTube, the team that made the WW1 trench layout in the heats had been filming their efforts, and also when they rebuilt it for a later exhibition. Simply search for "The Great Model Railway Challenge".

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:34 am

Anne and I when we saw the way the Aberdeen team had finished their layout thought straight away that it would win. It was a truly wonderful build. Just think it may happen that travel would be moving through the clouds…Lets face it, the roads are getting overcrowded now.