Volunteering

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Volunteering

Post by IanC » Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:10 pm
Big Jim wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:22 am Ian, I think you are right with this. A good way to do it is to turn up and make a nuisance of yourself until someone gives you a job to do.
Both Jim's are spot on. One of the problems is that there is a bit of a history of 'five minute' wonders coming along, taking up peoples time in getting them set up to work on the railway, only to have them fizzle out. This results in wasting a lot of valuable time by those regular volunteers who are running the show and who are painfully aware of the high value of volunteer time. I'm not suggesting anyone here is a five minute wonder, please don't think that. From the comments made here so far the offers of assistance appear sincere and full of good intent. There is no better way of conveying those facts than to go down a group that You want to devote your time to working with - it's a two a two way street.Bear in mind that because of the reasons stated above, there can sometimes be a natural suspicion of new commers. Stick with it if you decide it's for you. Once you have your feet under the table and clearly intend to be a regular you will find yourself on the inside and in the company of a lot of new friends. If you reach that point you will understand the whole initial reluctance thing from the other side!

Do give it a try, I've struggled to 'get in' more than once in the past - it has always been worth breaking through the ice. :thumbleft:

Andrew
Absolutely right about new volunteers not staying Andrew. We've seen that a lot on our railway. Those that commit to their chosen role and get stuck in do find it rewarding and a source of good friendships. Equally many organisations have lost good and willing volunteers by not making them feel welcome and valued, or by failing to invest in training and encouraging the new blood. Two way street sums it up perfectly.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 03, 2018 6:24 am

I have tried on many occasions ( Not volunteering on railways ) but other things, something like I want to do now, start a steam up in the local hall. One of the others was too like minded small gauge stuff to have meetings at a local store I had arranged to hold it in, the manager was very helpful, he even provided a member of his own staff to serve coffee and some light refreshment for us. But because one of the older and longer members of the forum that I was involved with took all the credit on the forum and at a show, ( It was pointed out to him by the other members ) that he didn’t do anything and it was me that did all the organising, it fizzled out. Surprising how much influence he had, but that is another matter.

The point is like Andrew said “It’s a two way street” it’s a lot of hard work that needs committed people on both sides and to be open to each other.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:15 am

Definitely a two way thing. My dad and nephew used to paint at one of the West Somerset stations, a new, dictatorial supervisor soon put paid to that. He still has a soft spot for the line but won't be going back as a volunteer. I would imagine it would be easier to fizz volunteers if there is no pay packet incentive. For both sides of the story if you are forced into a management role and have no empathy you will struggle.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 am

You are so right there Derek with dictatorial supervisors. The guy who I trained when he started has a driver for my old company was one of those guys who if he could would get others to do his work. Proved it when he got made up to a manager, I was a lead driver, then a Transport Supervisor…all the other drivers were so glad I become a supervisor because the manager got them to do things he should of been doing. Needless to say he didn’t get away with it with me….