This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Ffestiniog Turntable

Post by River Lin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi all.
I have started a new topic with this.

"On the basis of "many a good idea said in jest" what you need is a small wagon type turntable for the car Andy." (LNR)

Behind the old engine shed at Boston Lodge, in the garden of what once was a cottage owned by the FR, is/was the old loco turntable. The story goes that when the cottage was sold many years ago the new owner put his garage on the turntable so that he could drive in, and when needed, turn the turntable 180 degrees and drive out of the other end back down to the road. It was not practicable however due to not being able to balance his car centrally every time so he didn't use it. Whether this story is 100% fact I don't know but I will have a look and report back after my visit next month. I'm told the turntable is still in situ but in its day was only large enough for the England engines.
David.
David T.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Ffestiniog Turntable

Post by River Lin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:51 pm

A bit of text from 'Narrow Gauge Rails to Portmadoc, and a couple of photos. One from Boyd and a screenshot from the Drivers Eye View series of DVDs issued by the FR.

Pics removed for copyright reasons.

I wonder if that is the garage. It looks fairly old. Apparently the cottage behind the garage is the old weighmaster's house before that at Minffordd was installed.

David.
Last edited by River Lin on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
David T.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:36 pm

That is the garage, and the turntable is still underneath it.

Only the furthest cottage (No. 4 Boston Lodge) was sold. The nearest one (No. 3) remains railway property, I believe.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:52 pm

:D
D.
David T.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Not sure if this is 'off topic' from an 'off topic' topic :scratch: but...

The idea of installing a turntable for a car is quite practical. I know where there is one, at the end of a very narrow residential lane. The last house in the lane has a car turntable constructed largely of steel chequerplate, and it seems to work fine. If anyone is thinking of installing one I could take a photo of it when I'm in the vicinity.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Where I lived in the West Midlands, a 1930's style house within 25m of traffic lights on a dual carriageway and not much further away from Jcn, 9, M6, had a turntable for their car on the front garden. It was a wonderful, and probably expensive, addition to the site as it would have been impossible to stop to reverse in and illegal to reverse out! When the house sold it suddenly disappeared..... ???????????
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 am

I wonder way that was Peterโ€ฆ. :scratch: