Facebook

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Facebook

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Jimbo makes a good point regarding using any social media platform while employed.

You may find your employer has a policy already in place.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm

The C in W advise is that nothing is to be posted that brings the C in W into disrepute or could leave the poster or the subject vulnerable to abuse or exploitation. Provincial, Diocesan and Local safeguarding policies are also to be considered.

There is also a distinct difference between me posting as Rev'd Fr. Jim XXXX and posting as Bigjim. Mine is a personal page and I do not accept friend requests from anyone in the Parish. They can do that through the Church page.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Big Jim wrote: ↑Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pmFB is a tool and like any tool, how good or bad it is depends on how you use it.
Wise words there Big Jim! And it only knows what you tell it. In my case that is not very much.

Facebook is a tool, and there is a tool that can make Facebook more to your liking called Facebook Purity. It is an extension that can be downloaded for free (https://www.fbpurity.com/) and it will then allow you to tailor Facebook to your needs. Amongst many other things, it hides all adverts and allows you to hide annoying and irrelevant stuff from your news feed. Fed up with reading your friends banging on about Brexit? Simple, just put "Brexit" in the text filter and you will never see another Brexit post again. It is so good that Facebook bans all mentions of it! Thoroughly recommended.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm

ooh that sounds good. I think I will look at that.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

And me Tony. Thanks for the info.

I do agree that FB is mainly rubbish. To much going on about this and that. I don’t reply to stuff that I feel has nothing to do with any interests I have. I now have mostly things that are railway related, 16mm organisation, narrow gauge, garden railways, you get my drift.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 amI now have mostly things that are railway related, 16mm organisation, narrow gauge, garden railways, you get my drift.
Whenever my dear wife looks at my Facebook feed she says "But it is all trains, and planes, and buses" ... and she is almost correct!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 am

Yes she is…. :lol: :lol:

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:04 pm

And here is Facebook at its best...

In 24 hours a Facebook appeal has raised nearly Β£2000 for the repair of the garage roof at the Llechfan Garden Railway (Talyllyn Railway) that was destroyed recently by a falling tree. More details here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mrfs

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 pm

In 24 hours a Facebook appeal has raised nearly Β£2000 for the repair of the garage roof at the Llechfan Garden Railway (Talyllyn Railway) that was destroyed recently by a falling tree. More details here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mrfs

Yes - demonstrates the positive power of FB - I also will be looking up the fbpurity site!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:41 pm

I might start an appeal for my railway...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:14 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:41 pm I might start an appeal for my railway...
:laughing3: :laughing3: