Facebook

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Facebook

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 am

Why is it nobody on Facebook read posts properly, I recently put up on the Marketplace site on there my N Gauge Kato Layout and because I want somewhere in the region of £800 to £1000 for it, I decided to just put Free on the price input. (You have to put a price or it won’t post).

Well the amount of people wanting to know if it was still available was unbelievable.

10 it the 1st minute, I could’t reply quick enough. By the end of the day, the last one was at 00.15 last night, (I had gone to bed by 10pm) who said he lived in Lancaster had he could come and pick it up today. I replied to him at 6.30, asking him if he had read my post and that it was up for £1000 o.n.o, he replied “ I thought it was to good to be true” WHAT....

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Facebook

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm

If you had a price in mind why not just put it on there? Looks like you created the problem yourself.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:51 pm

iv had the same problem with selling or trying to sell a car on e bay and facebook

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:15 am

Busted Bricks wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm If you had a price in mind why not just put it on there? Looks like you created the problem yourself.
Excuse me, I did put a price....it was in the description and it wasn’t a problem. And others also do it the way I did....It is the way people read things, proves my point really. :thumbright: :thumbright:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:50 am

I guess the word "free" in combination with a picture of the layout was for a lot of people enough to pick up the phone :lol: :lol:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:08 am

It was I suppose a bit silly, but still why don’t they read the full post 1st, because when they click the photo it automatically comes up with “Is this still available”.

Takes only a minute to read any post. I tried it with some others on there that was showing “Free” and clicked on the photo and it came up with that message, so I clicked on the message and within 5 minutes I got a reply, I did reply back to the seller explaining what I did and he was very understanding and said the same as me, people don’t read the post.

It’s the same on forums has well isn’t it, I must admit I have done it in the past and probably will again, but it’s not done because I can’t be bothered,it’s just sometimes the words go haywire :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am

Facebook, Twitter, etc all have the same issue where more often than not users do not read content properly and then pointless arguments and insulting follow.

I don't use any of these services as they mostly promote toxic attitudes and give the idiots of this world a voice which should never be allowed.

Although forums may be viewed these days as backward they are normally regulated with human common sense and don't allow the garage that is commonly posted on FB, Twitter, etc.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am and don't allow the garage that is commonly posted on FB, Twitter, etc.
Wouldn't go near either with a barge pole, so didn't know they sold garages on there!!! :shock:
Grant.

Coat and hat, I know!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am

Oops, garbage!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 pm

LNR wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am and don't allow the garage that is commonly posted on FB, Twitter, etc.
Wouldn't go near either with a barge pole, so didn't know they sold garages on there!!! :shock:
Grant.

Coat and hat, I know!
Just proves the point that members on the Forum read the content correctly!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:28 pm

A lot of people read ads on a mobile. They only see the picture and "Free" which is why you get the responses you do.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:37 am

Yes, but you can still read the full post. it just goes to show that a lot of them are traders after a quick killing, bit wise to those kind of people, they give themselves away really.

Still I sold all my stuff for a very good price, so all’s well in the end.

I started this thread just to point out that people are really lazy at times and don’t read posts as they should and then make comments that are silly and sometimes offensive....I try not to get involved myself with Facebook, only use it mainly to keep up with the family and their very busy lives.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am I don't use any of these services as they mostly promote toxic attitudes and give the idiots of this world a voice which should never be allowed.
Here, here!
LNR wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am
Grant.

Coat and hat, I know!
:lol: :thumbup:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 am

A lot of people use FB to keep up with family, especially those that live too far away to see them on a regular basis........ :roll:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Facebook has it its uses, however there are an awful lot of wallies in the world and some of them use facebook (and ebay) I have a FB account and run several sites for clubs and my Church. They are very handy to get information to a lot of people fast. I use the local ME club one to advise on whether or not we are running on any given day. People can still phone but FB does mean that we can spend more time running trains rather than answering a telephone.

Sadly FB selling sites can bring out the wally in people as the way in which they are set up. You have to enter a price that is fixed and can't put 'offers invited' etc in anything except the body of the message. What is sometimes done is put a price of £1234567879 and people tend to be sensible enough to realise that this is just to fill the box rather than a price to sell. It must be noted that this is not always the case :D

When I set up my FB account I specifically decided that nothing would be posted on there that was political, religious or showing any opinion of mine at all. I have had colleagues get into serious bother with the Bishop regarding FB posts. I also never post pictures of my family showing their faces (The wife is no oil painting so it would not be fair :D )

FB is a tool and like any tool, how good or bad it is depends on how you use it.

I must admit though, it was very amusing watching a now ex-colleague of mine dig herself into a huge hole on FB by making some very controversial posts. Despite being warned by the 'powers that be' that they do monitor clergy FB activity. Basically if you wouldn't want it on the village notice board or the front of the local paper, don't post it.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Jimbo makes a good point regarding using any social media platform while employed.

You may find your employer has a policy already in place.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm

The C in W advise is that nothing is to be posted that brings the C in W into disrepute or could leave the poster or the subject vulnerable to abuse or exploitation. Provincial, Diocesan and Local safeguarding policies are also to be considered.

There is also a distinct difference between me posting as Rev'd Fr. Jim XXXX and posting as Bigjim. Mine is a personal page and I do not accept friend requests from anyone in the Parish. They can do that through the Church page.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Big Jim wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pmFB is a tool and like any tool, how good or bad it is depends on how you use it.
Wise words there Big Jim! And it only knows what you tell it. In my case that is not very much.

Facebook is a tool, and there is a tool that can make Facebook more to your liking called Facebook Purity. It is an extension that can be downloaded for free (https://www.fbpurity.com/) and it will then allow you to tailor Facebook to your needs. Amongst many other things, it hides all adverts and allows you to hide annoying and irrelevant stuff from your news feed. Fed up with reading your friends banging on about Brexit? Simple, just put "Brexit" in the text filter and you will never see another Brexit post again. It is so good that Facebook bans all mentions of it! Thoroughly recommended.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm

ooh that sounds good. I think I will look at that.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

And me Tony. Thanks for the info.

I do agree that FB is mainly rubbish. To much going on about this and that. I don’t reply to stuff that I feel has nothing to do with any interests I have. I now have mostly things that are railway related, 16mm organisation, narrow gauge, garden railways, you get my drift.