Endeavour last night - Zips up Anorak

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Big Jim

Endeavour last night - Zips up Anorak

Post by Big Jim » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 pm

I am not a great telly watcher but I have been enjoying Endeavour (Inspector Morse prequel) on Sunday night. It is set in around 1968/69

Last night had a railway theme and I had a great time winding up the current wife by moaning about all the railway mistakes.

Does anyone else do this?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Endeavour last night - Zips up Anorak

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 pm

No, but when I am forced to watch films, TV dramas, etc with current wife and it has anything to do with computers I will moan about the bull of 'the firewalls are holding up' or how quickly they 'hack' into a system.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Oh Yes Jim, guilty as charged! :?

As soon as a train appears on the screen I get 'where is it then?'.

If - sorry, when I find something that's not correct and point it out there is a smirk and a roll of the eyes! :oops:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am

Yes I do, although I try not to!

Last nght I was watching an "in-flight movie" which was the fairly recent "Dunkirk". Mostly pretty dire but I gritted my teeth at most of it, like a Spitfire that was out of juice and glided for about 10 minutes before making a perfect landing on the sandy beach at Dunkirk under fire. However, when they finally got home and were on a train, the coach they were in hadn't even been thought of in 1940, the seats were clearly fairly modern, probably BR Mk 2 given the moulded wings on the centre aisle seating and the fabric pattern!
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

Yes Philip I saw that one too - I was muttering at the end about spending all that money on the war sequences and then go and blow it with a UK based train scene!

I also was amazed at the gliding Spitfire - if I think back to the original Battle of Britain film with real ex WW2 planes, I didn't see any gliding damaged fighters on that - but it was Tom Hardy flying in Dunkirk so around 50% of the population would have been gutted if he had bought it - just like Harry Styles surviving various scrapes! They were the reason why my wife and 20 year old daughter came with me to watch the film!

I was sent an Endeavour clip from the recent episode - just clipped to the bit where she says upon them discovering the model railway "what is it about men and trains?"

Guilty mi lud!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:44 pm

What amused me most about the gliding Spitfire was the end of the sequence when the camera pans back to the burnt out wreckage revealing the propeller mounted on the end of a scaffold pole. No sign of anything resembling an engine - not surprised he had to glide so much !
Brian

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:18 pm

The most unbelievable thing about that film is that the director is up for an Oscar as Best Director. If you get an Oscar for being that inaccurate, what on earth are the lesser films like? :scratch: :scratch:
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 am

When I worked in Television, I went in thinking the camera never lies. Soon realised it doesn't always tell the truth either.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Snailrail wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:44 pm What amused me most about the gliding Spitfire was the end of the sequence when the camera pans back to the burnt out wreckage revealing the propeller mounted on the end of a scaffold pole. No sign of anything resembling an engine - not surprised he had to glide so much !
I noticed that as well ..... a bit obvious. I was also intrigued as to how much ammunition that particular Spitfire had on board. He must have been involved in four or five dog fights, I think he shot down at least three enemy aircraft - and he then turned back to Dunkirk and loosed off another salvo.

I believe Spitfires had at most 10-20 seconds of ammo - eg see https://www.quora.com/How-long-do-a-Spi ... ing-battle and http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/BoB.htm ("Ammunition capacity was enough for 16 seconds continuous firing in the Spitfire, slightly more in the Hurricane")

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:38 pm

The Spitfire get's far too much praise for preventing the Nazis from invading.

The Hurricane did it's part and did it well (there were more of them for a start). It could take far more damage than a Spitfire and was easier to repair.

I always rate the Mosquito as the best fighter of it's day as it could be used in any role and could even carry a field cannon for anti-submarine missions:

A Spitfire would of fallen apart from the recoil when that gun was firing away!