End of the line.....

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: End of the line.....

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Funeral number five today!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Just caught up with this thread, sorry to hear about the hard time you're having Peter.

We're finalising wills tomorrow and then I suppose I need to document last wishes/funeral plans. Still not sure what to do with the trains both 4mm and garden. We have another grandson coming in June so there may be some railway genes that might be interested in taking some of it.

Thanks for raising the taboo subject and just wish old age was a case of reaching 80 plus going to bed one night and nature taking a kind course but we know it is not always that easy. If nothing else the timing of this thread has confirmed I need to get something in writing for my boys and Sally.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:37 pm

It has been a taboo subject for far too long now and should be addressed openly and practically. It can't have gone unnoticed how many 'seniors' there are on this Forum, and most likely many other Fora too. We already see collections being dispersed by the 16mm association, so at least there are some who have made preparations for the inevitable. If there was an 'afterlife' in one of the two options generally spoken about, my plastic models would melt there with me!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Just back from the solicitors, a few hundred pounds lighter but feel good. Over the next few days I will write up some note of guidance for disposal of my railway chattels.

Do you ever consider how many more years of good modelling you have left?. I'm watching my dad go like his father and sometimes think I may only have 15 to 18 years of modelling left to go. Typing this I think I will build another 4mm micro at the same time as the garden railway. I don't think I've ever finished an oo layout and have several small schemes I would like to try before it's too late...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

Do you ever consider how many more years of good modelling you have left?
This is a very interesting point. I have found myself more involved with the ME fraternity over the last few months and my club does have its fair share of members who have reached "three score and ten". Many are now finding that they are not capable of building/running locos like they were a few years ago. Some are being very phlegmatic about it and selling off engines that they cannot use (or move) any more. The thought being that a project is easier to sell when the builder is still alive and able to talk with a potential purchaser than post-mortem when it will be passed on as a load of bits with no information.

This is countered by the 'it will never happen' brigade who still have projects that they will never finish. One lady of my acquaintance, whose husband died last year, left instructions that his collection should be split between his two grandsons. Sadly the 'collection' is of very limited value either financially or aesthetically. The poor woman and her family are stuck between the desire to follow Grandads wishes or just sell the lot for a small amount and split the money (neither of the grandsons or anyone else in the family has any interest in modelling at all). The majority of the collection is 1980's 00 Hornby/Lima with a G scale set (Bachmann and not a good one) and two part built 3 1/2 inch locos (badly made and not very far advanced)

My own Father was a great horder and when he died I had to clear out large amounts of 00 stock and unbuilt kits. Some dated to the 1960's, There were so many unbuilt wagons kits from one producer (still going) that I sold the lot back to them as I had no desire to flood the market and deprive someone of their lively hood. All this stuff had be collected for my Fathers retirement. A conservative estimate on the amount of unbuilt stock led me to realise that it would have taken him about 30 years to build all that he had waiting.

It is defiantly worth appointing a trusted individual/individuals to look at your collection should the worst happen. This should mean that it can be disposed of in a fitting manner that either allows it to go to those who would appreciate it or be sold for the best price and the money passed on to family members. I have various friends lined up to see to my tools, vehicles and models when the day comes

You "know not the hour" and having recently taken a funeral of a 35 year old individual who went to his doctor with a nasty cough, was hospitalised three days later after seeing a consultant and was dead within a week, it does bring it home to you.

Failing that, if you believe in reincarnation, just leave it all to yourself. :D
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Yet another of our Club members to add to the list of deceased friends this year. I could never have imagined the bad news would continue at such a pace.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:10 pm

very sad news peter I attended a funeral of someone's dad who I do a lot of work for .he was in his 80s last time I spoke too him was before Christmas he was taking out his e type jag for a spin that he has had from new had a good chat and a laugh and joke .he went flying off in his jag without a care in the world .shortly after Christmas he sadly died .you never know whats around the corner death is a part of life.my granddad went out in style loving old tractors he went on a old trailer towed by this john deere with a convoy of his mates in toe all in there tractors

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:41 am

Well I didn’t think like others that Peter was giving up, I thought it was about some railway line some where. Has for getting old, we all get old has son as we are born, it a fact of life. Anne thinks I am still a little or should that be Big kid.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:52 am

I'm not feeling particularly creative today and whilst sitting at my laptop passing the time I found myself browsing various historical posts. This one stood out as it is most appropriate.
I received an email this morning to let me know a very close and personal friend passed away during the night. I spent several hours with Tony just four days ago at his bedside at home. He was on three simultaneous treatments of morphine and still in pain. His pain has now ended!
He has been a model group member almost as long as myself and he always attended meetings, exhibitions and social events with us. Not a garden railway enthusiast, but a good small scale model maker, he will be greatly missed by our group.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:54 pm

Sad to hear. But I'm sure he was comforted by knowing you were there.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:47 am

That is sad news Peter, losing someone close and a good friend is hard to accept and deal with.
My condolences go out to you and his family. :(

I myself haven't been sleeping very well if at all, since I got the news of my eldest brother, about 1 hour a night. I just can't settle and think about him all the time. Funeral tomorrow, which I am not looking forward to. :(

Sorry about the drift Peter...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:39 am

Thanks Rod, I'm sure your loss is even greater than mine and I feel for you. At our age it is a fact of life that we will be experiencing such events more frequently but it shows how many friends we have made on the journey.