India

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: India

Post by IanC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I agree with Andrew, Fascinating.

There's loads of inspiring pictures and information.

It is unlikely I will be fortunate to experince India for myself. If other forum users are not interested, they don't have to read your thread. I doubt this is the case for many of us.

Ian
Ian

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 am

Rik,

many thanks for a superb account of your great adventure and a taste of real life in India.

Dave

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am

Will always love looking at the photo’s and hearing about them Rik.

BTW, I haven’t got a lot of loco’s….so if you want to pass some on… :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am

Wrong gauge for you Rod!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Cheers again Rik - love the idea of a train reversing in and out of the station on and off the main line - sure there are quite a few garden railways that could easily operate like that where a station area has been added to a line too take the advantage of some space in the garden - everyone can now claim its been done or purpose to re-enact the DHR!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Killarney in Ireland has the same reverse in/propel out arrangement.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I have a vague recollection of arriving in and then reversing out on a journey in the UK. Memory is not good enough to recall the location though.

For a short while we used to do that at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway before the signalling and trackwork was complete at Bury Bolton Street, South Junction.

Ian
Ian

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pm

I thought that - I think it was somewhere on the Cross Country Route below Birmingham - Gloucester? Mid 80's on a trip to Devon

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm

markoteal wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pmI thought that - I think it was somewhere on the Cross Country Route below Birmingham - Gloucester? Mid 80's on a trip to Devon
At Gloucester maybe? Brum-Bristol trains calling there have to reverse. Slightly different though as it is not a terminus.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am Wrong gauge for you Rod!
Oh Heck :roll: :roll: :roll: I forgot Rik does 45mm… :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :lol: :lol: :lol:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 pm

TonyW wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm
markoteal wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pmI thought that - I think it was somewhere on the Cross Country Route below Birmingham - Gloucester? Mid 80's on a trip to Devon
At Gloucester maybe? Brum-Bristol trains calling there have to reverse. Slightly different though as it is not a terminus.
Yes must have been Gloucester - hadn't realised it wasn't a terminus - would put it on a par with London KX - Skipton reversing out of Leeds

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 pm

IanC wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm I have a vague recollection of arriving in and then reversing out on a journey in the UK. Memory is not good enough to recall the location though.

For a short while we used to do that at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway before the signalling and trackwork was complete at Bury Bolton Street, South Junction.

Ian
Dorchester was the famous example in this country.

i get the distinct impression that setting back with passenger trains was far less of a 'hang up' in some parts of the country than some people might have us believe!

I guess that in less regulated countries there was no hang up at all and people just 'got on with the job' and ran trains in the most convenient way - even without the benefit of facing point locks, as some of Riks pictures appear to demonstrate. Indeed, I think Rik's account of his travels and the pictures he's shared with us clearly show a much more relaxed method of operation. I find it quite refreshing to be honest. :thumbright:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:18 pm

In regards to safety Andrew I think British people value human life more than in countries with mass population where there are 100 or more people trying to beat you to or for something.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:18 pm In regards to safety Andrew I think British people value human life more than in countries with mass population where there are 100 or more people trying to beat you to or for something.
You make a very valid point there Tom.

One thing I didn't notice a lot of in Riks photo's was the trains festooned in people that one so often associates with Indian railways. I guess it may be more of a suburban feature where the traffic density is high. Did you see much of it around the major cities Rik?

Andrew

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:04 am

I had a friend who mounted the roof in New Dehli. Caused an almighty disturbance! they refused to allow the train to depart until he got down.
Apparently it is not acceptable for Europeans.
Tim

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:18 pm In regards to safety Andrew I think British people value human life more than in countries with mass population where there are 100 or more people trying to beat you to or for something.
Not if your trying to get too a Debenhams New Year sale your’e not Tom…. :lol: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 pm One thing I didn't notice a lot of in Riks photo's was the trains festooned in people that one so often associates with Indian railways. I guess it may be more of a suburban feature where the traffic density is high. Did you see much of it around the major cities Rik?

Andrew
Hi Andrew
Didn't see it at all on any of the journeys we took. The trains were enormously long and the majority of the coaches were 'unreserved' and these were generally very crowded. Often saw people sitting in open doorways, but that was probably because those coaches had no air conditioning.

Here's our train pulling into Kolkata, fore and aft just to give you a sense of scale.
DSCI1298.JPG
DSCI1298.JPG (124.61 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
DSCI1293.JPG
DSCI1293.JPG (128.74 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks Rik,

Those are looooooooooooooooooooooong trains!

I expect that rapid and recent spread of overhead equipment has put an end to the practise, either through common sense or Darwinian selection! :shock:

The continuing and all encompasing conversion to broad gauge appears to be altering the character of the Indian railway system out of all recognition. This, in no small measure, seems due to the modernisation that sweeps along with it. Great to see the country developing but sad to see the history being swept away and even sadder to see the effect it's having ecologically.

You can always rely on India to be a paradox!

Thanks for the pics Rik.

Andrew