India

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: India

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:18 pm In regards to safety Andrew I think British people value human life more than in countries with mass population where there are 100 or more people trying to beat you to or for something.
Not if your trying to get too a Debenhams New Year sale your’e not Tom…. :lol: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 pm One thing I didn't notice a lot of in Riks photo's was the trains festooned in people that one so often associates with Indian railways. I guess it may be more of a suburban feature where the traffic density is high. Did you see much of it around the major cities Rik?

Andrew
Hi Andrew
Didn't see it at all on any of the journeys we took. The trains were enormously long and the majority of the coaches were 'unreserved' and these were generally very crowded. Often saw people sitting in open doorways, but that was probably because those coaches had no air conditioning.

Here's our train pulling into Kolkata, fore and aft just to give you a sense of scale.
DSCI1298.JPG
DSCI1298.JPG (124.61 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
DSCI1293.JPG
DSCI1293.JPG (128.74 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks Rik,

Those are looooooooooooooooooooooong trains!

I expect that rapid and recent spread of overhead equipment has put an end to the practise, either through common sense or Darwinian selection! :shock:

The continuing and all encompasing conversion to broad gauge appears to be altering the character of the Indian railway system out of all recognition. This, in no small measure, seems due to the modernisation that sweeps along with it. Great to see the country developing but sad to see the history being swept away and even sadder to see the effect it's having ecologically.

You can always rely on India to be a paradox!

Thanks for the pics Rik.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"