Dash cams

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Big Jim

Dash cams

Post by Big Jim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 am

Very odd topic I know.

Does anyone on here use a dash cam?

If so how do they find them and more importantly are they any use in case of incidents?

I got reversed into at high speed while parked yesterday and although I got the reg and the police are involved (driver cleared off before I could stop him) I think there could be some fun days ahead to get the blighter to admit and his insurance to cough up.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Dash cams

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 am

I have a dash cam fitted Jim, which also has a rear facing camera. It would certainly provide video evidence in an incident such as yours, but so far I have not had to resort to it (desperately clutches a large piece of timber! :lol: ) Probably worth getting one that imprints the date and time. Of course, it's also worth remembering that they can be used as evidence against you as well as for you! :silent:
You can also get some that will activate when the vehicle is parked, but I have no experience of these. Halfrauds do simple plug in ones, or you can get permanently wired versions (I think H do a kit for their cameras).
Not much help really - sorry :oops:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:57 am

I too have a dash-cam, not an expensive job just a plug-in type. It is probably capable of more than I ask of it but I am not technically inclined. It does give a clear image when loaded onto my laptop and number plates are recognisable. It is possibly more of a comfort to me and a deterrent to others?
A friend involved in a head-on had the event on camera which proved conclusively the other driver was to blame in an otherwise potentially difficult situation.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks, I am sure that this is a case of shutting the door after the horse has long since cleared off. But I would like to be prepared for the next Herbert that comes along.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm

I use a £15 job bought from my local garage when they had one of their offers on. It's very basic, but seems to do the job ok. I bought a £25 one from Maplin for my brother for Christmas, this one (unlike mine) also has stationary collision detection, which seemed like good value.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:50 pm

We've got one front and rear which came as an add on when we bought the car and was fitted by the dealer. It stays switched on 24/7 but when parked it activates if something/someone comes close or if there is a vibration suggesting an impact or similar. Not had to use is yet but whilst in standby mode the front unit flashes on an off with a blue light, which can be clearly seen in the dark by anyone entering the drive. The data is saved to an SD card and will overwrite data once the card is full.

In our prevous car I was on a roundabout intending to go straight on and was hit to the rear by an artic goods vehicle that was turning right. The roundabout was a small one and the driver took up a position behind us to swing wide and avoid his trailer mounting the roundabout. We had to slow as a result of traffic in front of us and the truck hit us. Without boring you with detail the truck had a camera high up on his dashboard which first showed us in front of his nearside on the roundabout but their case included the drivers version of events that I apparently squeezed round the nearside of the lorry and braked in front of it, unseen by the camera of course. The truck drivers side were looking for 50/50 which I thought was out of order but as my wife didn't want the hassle with challenging them we went for 50/50. Had I not had an unwilling witness in my passenger seat or had a rear facing camera I could have challenged the claim more confidently.

Be prepared for 'the system' to let you down in the event of a collision and get a camera to assist the truth in coming to the fore.
Note that large truck businesses have well practiced legal representation for such matters.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)