Winter weather

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
daan
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Winter weather

Post by daan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Last monday we had about 4 inches in Holland. I got the Hf110 out for a plow, but I had to help a little. It took a while however before the boiler started to build up steam, since I keep the water in a dark and cold space in the shed. By the time I was able to run a train it was already too dark to make pictures. I hope we will have some more snow this year, since steaming through the snow is more fun than in a one horse open sleigh.. :lol:
"En schΓΆne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:44 am

Try boiling your water 1st daan. We do it all the time, much quicker. :santa: :santa:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks Rod, would absolutely be quicker!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 am

Have you tried the hot water yet daan, love to see a video of your loco. :thumbright:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Snow has gone a few weeks ago, so no snow plowing. I've got a video from last year though:

And one of the very beginning of the railway with my first live steam loco: the Beck "Anna".

Hope it weakens the pain a bit :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:07 am

Nice videos, shame the snow was a bit too frozen for the plough, but i enjoyed it. :thumbright:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:25 am

Indeed, I'm still hoping for a bit of really fluffy snow, the snow of 2 weeks ago was also too wet and heavy for the snowplow to get it through by steampower alone. And I'm a bit too optimistic about the power of the little steamers, since 4 inches of wet snow is a really heavy bit of plowing. In real life you'ld need a rotary for such amounts.. :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:13 am

Here’s hoping you do get some light and fluffy snow, don’t think we have too much luck of getting light stuff or any stuff...lol.. here at the moment, but you never know with our weather... :thumbright: :thumbright:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 am

In Virginia we are getting the cold, but no snow - yet! We have already had -13C, and later this week we are due for -16.7C, which is pretty heavy duty for the sunny South, and most of the past week has seen lows of -10C. Only one day with a daytime high above freezing in the next week here in the Valley. Snow might actually cause it to warm up a bit in these parts. The two walkers who seem to go past first off every morning when I am out with the dogs passed comment that "it is a heat wave this morning - double digits Fahrenheit!

So the question is... who has been doing deals with ice giants, or is Scunny going to win the Cup?

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:14 am

-15C and the wife was out on the porch piping in the New Year. Now it is a couple of whiskies to help thaw us out!

Happy New Year everyone!
Peter in Virginia
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.