Cannot renew my 16mmngm membership

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:14 am

I know the East Surrey Group used to charge £10 plus a fee when you attended club evenings. I was a member some years ago just to get the newsletter 'Oily Rag' but never made the journey to club nights as i'm in Kent.

I quite enjoy a trwal around the local group websites. There used to be a group which I can't find now who abbreviated themselves to 'LADS' and had a very well written and humorous newsletter which could be downloaded. I do think the local groups are key to the future of 16mm because the Association has lost touch.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:07 pm

sstjc:116928 wrote:I know the East Surrey Group used to charge £10 plus a fee when you attended club evenings. I was a member some years ago just to get the newsletter 'Oily Rag' but never made the journey to club nights as i'm in Kent.
We charge £3.00 per visit, which covers the cost of the hall, where we meet and run trains every month, have a very nice Christmas get together and always have decent refreshments on tap at every meeting. We welcome all enthusiasts who have TPI and some of us belong to both the G and the 16mm associations. We do not have a portable exhibition layout yet, although it has been discussed at odd times. We also share transport to the various exhibitions, members own garden railways and Statfold Barn etc. We also have demos by members for members, of (for example) building locos or point work. The small highly detailed loco building demos are particularly interesting. We do not have any members under 18, although youngsters with parents or guardians in tow are very welcome to attend. So running a group for model railway enthusiasts (regardless of scale) ain't exactly rocket science and is good fun.

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:14 pm

TonyW:116926 wrote: Other than for the Yorkshire Group (who, I believe, have a building) I didn't know that any area groups charged fees. You learn something new...
http://www.nwwales.16mm.org.uk/about.html
As a Yorkshire group member I can confirm we don't have any fee's. We have some 'sheds' which have space in old mills etc with other groups but these operate separately to the 16mm as far as I know.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 pm

robyholmes:116930 wrote:As a Yorkshire group member I can confirm we don't have any fee's. We have some 'sheds' which have space in old mills etc with other groups but these operate separately to the 16mm as far as I know.
Thank you for the clarification. Friends of mine from the Yorkshire Group have mentioned a "club house", obviously I have taken the wrong impression!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:42 pm

East Surrey 16mm Group wrote:There is a small annual membership fee of £10 which goes towards the cost of producing our Oily Rag newsletter as well as a nominal £3 at the desk on a club evening
West of Scotland Group has no membership fee. Similarly East of Scotland Group has no membership fee, but does leave donations when using the Scottish Model Engineering Trust's clubhouse for indoor winter meetings - EoSG built, maintain & operate on Open Days the 32mm outdoor layout at SMET.

Chris Cairns

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:59 pm

sstjc:116835 wrote:Brian Dominic's Budget Boulevard style of modelling is far more interesting and inspiring to me...............
Why thank you, kind sir!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Talking of which Brian I do not see Budget Boulevard marked on the show plan. There is a possibility I may get to the show and its the first place I will head for. Why not marked on the plan ?

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:43 pm

Dunno - I didn't draw it!

Head for IP Engineering and you'll be in The Promised Land!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:08 pm

sstjc wrote:Why not marked on the plan ?
Presumably because, unlike the Market Street, Budget Boulevard also has non participants within the allocated stand area - R10, R17, R18, R19 & R20 are not part of Budget Boulevard ( http://www.nationalgardenrailwayshow.or ... boulevard/ )?

Chris Cairns

stoker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by stoker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:06 am

1 April,and my DD to Warners has been collected!

:D

Just like they said it would be...... :roll:
youth is wasted on the young...

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:11 am

stoker:117091 wrote:1 April,and my DD to Warners has been collected!

Just like they said it would be...... :roll:
Snap - all OK here.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Got conformation of renewal and took payment 1st. April but had 6 or 7 weeks not knowing what was happening glad it's sorted.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 am

The first fifteen minutes of this may be of interest to those who had trouble renewing this year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPcT7W0bEs
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

stoker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by stoker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:03 pm

TonyW:117549 wrote:The first fifteen minutes of this may be of interest to those who had trouble renewing this year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPcT7W0bEs
Thank you,Tony.

IMO,the board have done everything possible to make the transition to Warners as smooth as it could be.

A few tweaks to enable our non-UK members to renew easily appear to be given thought as well.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Yeah, I got a mention at around 8:50  :D What is being said is not entirely correct - the issue is not with Sagepay but is caused by Warners using an invalid name for my country. They call it "The Faroe Islands" and it should just be "Faroe Islands" to work with external systems. I frequently order without issues from websites that use Sagepay as their payment provider. It was quite painful to get Warners to understand the nature of the issue.

I should say that I now have been able to renew my membership. Warners came up with a workaround in their system and we sorted the payment part on the phone. My SMT should be going to Faroe Islands and not Puerto Rico now (fingers crossed).

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:32 pm

I hope your SMT ends up in the right place. The board do a lot of good stuff and i've widely praised the show but putting membership services with a company which was not set up to handle subscription properly is not one of them and no one will convince me otherwise. So many people not having confirmation of their membership or direct debits is just not right. It remains to be seen where this goes now and what happens next year at renewal time but Warners should be asshamed of themselves for taking on a contract and not putting the resource and systems in place to service it. There were some good offers on Garden Rail subscriptions at the show but I won't by it through Warners and considering how i've been dealt with I am unlikely to renew membership of the Association next year if its still with Warners. Lets face it you don't need to be a member to go to the show.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

stoker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by stoker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 pm

'It is impossible to please all of the people all of the time,you are doing well to please most of the people most of the time'

Dale Carnegie.