Windows 10 - Any experiences or thought??

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Windows 10 - Any experiences or thought??

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:13 pm

I've noticed a couple of people recently have mentioned they've installed Windows 10 (eg Annie). I keep getting pestered by my computer to install it but I;ve been putting it off as I worry that some of my more obscure software may not run on it.

Has anyone installed it? Have there been horror stories about it? Or is the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 smooth and seamless?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:26 pm

As an IT tech with many friends and family who would ring me at a drop of a hat if things went wrong, I can honestly say its 'smooth and seamless'.

It checks for any problems before starting the upgrade so if you have anything it doesn't like you'll know before you take the final plunge.

Daven
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Daven » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi Rik,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 about 4 months ago and so far no problems. It did seem to take rather along time, but that was probably my fault for doing other things when I should have been keeping an eye on the computer.

Regards

David
David Newell

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Also an IT techie and also no problems, however best to check and printers are compatible if they are really old. Other than that, enjoy.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Mine's gone OK, but I'm told you need to have Windows 7 up-to-date before you start to upgrade - if it isn't, the process will update before installing W10, and I'm told this can take an inordinate time. Things like Firefox will update on first use.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:24 pm

My daughter's in IT and it took her a wee while for her to persuade me into upgrading from 64 bit Win 7 to 64 bit Win 10. I was braced for glitches and trouble, but so far nothing. Finding the odd driver for some older hardware I had took a little time, but once found and installed everything was fine.

With older software and games I still have a Win XP machine that's not connected to the internet hanging about just in case, but so far it's had little use.
What has Reality done for you lately?

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 am

We've updated 3 laptops in our house to Windows 10 and all have taken it without any issues. It can take anytghing from 1 to 5 hours to carry out the upgrade and it is reversable so i'd say go do it.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks folks
That sounds reassuring. My laptop is a bit aged but runs W7 OK. My usual mantra is 'If it ain't broke ....' but I'll do a bit more investigating before taking the plunge. I hadn't realised the installation could be reversed.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:36 am

First thing it does when you start the upgrade is create a restore point. So if you have problem you just restore your pc to that restore point.
Barry

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:58 am

sstjc:115404 wrote:We've updated 3 laptops in our house to Windows 10 and all have taken it without any issues. It can take anytghing from 1 to 5 hours to carry out the upgrade and it is reversable so i'd say go do it.
Barry
If you have multiple machines to upgrade or your Internet is slow download the ISO and install from a USB drive or burn to DVD:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:40 pm

ge_rik:115405 wrote:I hadn't realised the installation could be reversed.Rik
Sorry Rik, I forgot to mention you can only downgrade to your original version of Windows within 30 days of upgrading to Windows 10. After 30 days, you will need to uninstall the Windows 10 update and then re-install your machine.

Something to note with Windows 10 is Wi-Fi Sense. Please read about it before you start using Win10 with wireless...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Rik,

Thanks for asking the question. Speaking as someone who hates IT almost as much as IT seems to hate me, I've been wondering about the pro's and con's of the W10 issue.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice and opinions. Some of it sounds like Swahili to me but most I can understand! :?
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Trabant Dave
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Trabant Dave » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:17 pm

I have an Alienware laptop which came with Windows 8.1 installed; this was a replacement for a similar laptop damaged by an official technician sent out by Dell (who own AW) that had Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate installed on it; all mechanical drives had been swapped out for SSDs, and these were installed the current machine on receipt.

I decided to try Win10 but as a precautionary measure I took my SSDs out and re-inserted the regular HDD with Win 8.1 on. I'm very glad that I took that step, as within an hour I had decided to stick with Win 7 as there were too many things that irritated me with Win10 although I would say it's preferable to Win8.

Here's my reasons for staying with Win7

1. Windows 10 spys on you and sends huge amounts of data back to Microsoft.
2. Cortana has security flaws and I simply have no use for the function at all.
3. Not possible to remove the display of tiles from the start menu, which is also very buggy
4. It's far less easy to manage things yourself in consumer versions of Win10 than it was in Win7; forced updates, less access 'under the bonnet'

Now, having made the decision to NOT use Win10 I have had a real battle preventing Microsoft from insinuating this unwanted 'upgrade' onto my system; I have had to prevent auto-installation of updates because they keep trying to sneak the files to prepare for Win10 install, using oblique terms to describe what the updates are for, necessitating me checking each and every item to maintain the decision to NOT install Win10 and I actually don't care that MS are supposedly giving the new OS for free; I simply don't want it; and don't want it forced on me.

If anyone is equally sick of the imposition as I am, let me know and I'll help with Win10 avoidance methods.

Regards

Dave. Still resolutely sticking with Windows 7!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:34 pm

I am self taught and like to think I have moderate IT skills but I get to realise how moderate on occasions.  I have a laptop that had Vista 32 bit.  I went to a local computer shop with a list of minor problems and wondered whether an upgrade was on the cards.  
My laptop had plenty of what was needed for Window 10 64 bit, so I went for it.
The guy got rid of a load of rubbish and out of date stuff including PS Elements 6 and installed Windows 10.  I've had a couple of niggles but this could be ignorant finger trouble and of course I've got to learn where everything is now.
Just installed PS Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14 and have just realised the 21st Century is upon me.  
It may be that I'm easily satisfied after several years of Vista. (Remember what that was?)
Most of the problems seem to happen to someone else - but watch this space.   :oops:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 am

Trabant Dave:115922 wrote:
Dave. Still resolutely sticking with Windows 7!
Hi Dave.

Whilst I agree and understand your reasons for your actions, there will be a time that Windows 7 will be removed from support and it will have more security holes than Windows 3.1 . ;) It is for this reason that I went with Windows 10 instantly as at some point, everyone will have to upgrade to a new OS over the years and I just find it easier one step at a time. I know many who stuck to their guns and had Windows 3.1 and Windows 95C until they were out of support, and then they had to come to the latest stuff, they found their skills were somewhat lacking from personal use and found it a larger step moving up through a leap of operating systems, with so many new bits and bobs to get up to speed with.

I am not saying what you should or shouldn't do, merely saying what others have said to me in the past when they eventually had to upgrade. Sometimes its just easier to take the plunge now and get used to it. Or not, its everyone's choice of course :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 am

I think you should upgrade to windows 10, you will soon get to know it sticking with out of date systems is asking for trouble unless you keep off the net. My lap top was updated from W8 to W10 and is better to use, my old desk top computer Used XP which I liked a lot but I do not go on the net with it only the lap top.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:00 pm

A little niggle but this is more a problem with my computer than an issue with Windows 10
As I said ealier I changed from Vista 32 bit to 10 64 bit. Things seem mostly ok.
I've been trying to get my laptop to connect with a TV to use the TV as a second screen. Apparently, others have had the problem after using Windows 10 and the possible problem is that the graphics driver is one provided by Microsoft rather than one provided by the laptop. As I had a similar problem when I had Vista perhaps this is the problem. With my level of IT knowledge I will take it into my local PC guy and see what he says and see if he can make the necessary changes. :happy3:
By the way I'm using an hdmi cable that works on other laptops.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:02 pm

This is not difficult to check and if you are going to be charged by someone to do this then I can help you for free if you PM me.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri May 27, 2016 10:13 pm

The Microsoft Update Gestapo did not really give me an option of not upgrading - i.e. if there was a get out clause I didn't find it - which created the first wave of ill feeling.  I had been hitting the No, thanks option for three months ad would have been quite content to hit it for another three months, as the longer Microshaft produces something, the more likely it is to work well.

The update took all afternoon (so I took and nap and played trains; it was my day off.)  Unfortunately it changed a lot of my archiving settings, despite saying that it would not, and the new layout changed things just enough to be a real pain in the backside for about three weeks.  This resulted in the second wave of resentment.  Not helped by the Mac advocate and diocesan Techie having a damn good gloat - third wave of resentment.

By the standards of Windows system changes this one was at the irritant rather than the Apocalypse end of the spectrum.  I do have concerns about - scratch that, a major problem with - the data gathering side of the programme.  I know that selling information about you is one of their revenue streams, but we have a word we have for that around here - 'spying.'

It does seem to be slower and more likely to hang up than W7, but that seems to be the only thing I can grouse about.  Mind you, I did follow my usual thing of waiting at least 90 days before upgrading to allow Microshaft to get most of the bugs out of the system.  I still miss Windows 98, though, and the office 'puter is still on XP.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.