September Model of the Month.........

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
MDLR
Driver
Driver

September Model of the Month.........

Post by MDLR » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:50 pm

If you weren't aware, you might like to take a look at this............. http://www.16mm.org.uk/newsite/motm/mom2015-09.html
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: September Model of the Month.........

Post by Enginehouse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:24 pm

MDLR:113170 wrote:If you weren't aware, you might like to take a look at this............. http://www.16mm.org.uk/newsite/motm/mom2015-09.html
These laser cut cheap and cheerful jigsaw puzzle kits are so much nicer when finished correctly without the tongues and slots showing through anywhere. Just lately I have been playing with some HGLW kits by completely papering them before final detailing and painting. Not my idea incidentally, but as a result of a local group member kindly demonstrating the skill and technique (he used to be a decorator). The slots, the badly formed ends and any surface damage quickly disappears. In the long run it saves no end of effort trying to get the compressed rubbish that these kits are made of to look anything like an original timbered wagon or metal bodied loco. I have several small loco's built from these kits, the latest being a centre cab currently being papered with lining paper (index cards) and then completed with the coloured paper of choice before sealing and waterproofing. I will put them up on the web when finished.
Cheers

Roy H

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm glad you have found a method which suits you, although it sounds complex and fraught with the potential of going badly wrong!
It would be interesting to see the results and I look forward to seeing your pictures of anything done in this way.
Just as a mater of interest... have you ever tried using Plasticard?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Peter Butler:113188 wrote:I'm glad you have found a method which suits you, although it sounds complex and fraught with the potential of going badly wrong!
It would be interesting to see the results and I look forward to seeing your pictures of anything done in this way.
Just as a mater of interest... have you ever tried using Plasticard?
Plasticard yes! I am actually a very well experienced boat builder, over about 25 years, both in timber and plasticard and currently have two scratch built diesel loco's built with a mixture of Plasticard and steel. Not from kits I hasten to add. Currently working on both Penrhyn saloon's the ancient and the more modern, but in 7/8 scale on 45mm gauge and moaning about the cost of entry to Penrhyn Caste Musem complete with camera sometime next week ;O))

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:12 pm

It may seem expensive but everything about Penrhyn, both Castle and Museum, is worth every penny!
Perhaps some photographs of their current displays would make for an interesting thread here?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 pm

I finished the rest of the rake today - it's seen here with the MDLR's number N-N-N-Nineteen in charge. I've had to make special coupling links (from floristry wire) to fit over the tee piece couplings.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html