SKLR Bowaters Coach 16mm Scale

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

SKLR Bowaters Coach 16mm Scale

Post by cncmodeller » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:50 pm

I'm currently flitting between two projects at the moment to provide realistic rolling stock for my L and B Lew and Bowaters Superior, one of my Bowaters Coaches is finished now and I've painted it in SKLR colours circa 1980 [ the previous white was changed to cream on arrival of the ex C and U coaches ].

Image16mm Scale SKLR Bowater Coach made from kit by UniqueNarrowGauge by uniquenarrowgauge, on Flickr
Image16mm Scale SKLR Bowater Coach made from kit by UniqueNarrowGauge by uniquenarrowgauge, on Flickr
Image16mm Scale Bowaters Resin and White metal kit components laid out by uniquenarrowgauge, on Flickr
Image16mm Scale Bowaters 3D CAD image for CNC machining components by uniquenarrowgauge, on Flickr
Last edited by cncmodeller on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Work of sheer genius..... beautiful finish and detail.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Very nice  :)
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Absolutely fantastic. It's hard to believe it's not the real thing! :shock:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:17 am

Hi CNC,
Well done.
Is the superstructure from plasticard, or have you managed to achieve that level of finish on a wood surface?

Tim

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:31 am

11thHour:112761 wrote:Hi CNC,
Well done.
Is the superstructure from plasticard, or have you managed to achieve that level of finish on a wood surface?

Tim
Hi Tim,
The superstructure is from laser cut 3mm birch ply and 1.5mm for the doors and window frames that has been sanding sealed and then sprayed with cellulose paint, the butt joints at the ends were thinned down on a table saw so they didn't look too thick.
The roof is a two piece resin casting.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 am

That's VERY nice indeed, beautiful work.

Ironically, considering it's such a lovely model, it reminds me of my own attempt at building an 009(-ish) model inspired by one of these when I was aged about 13. Believe it or not, the thing utilised the cut-down body of a Triang Thompson LNER carriage and had a slightly furry finish where dust got into the gloss paint as it dried. I'm very glad no pictures survive...

Cheers,

Andrew.

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks Andrew,
I also was inspired by a 009 layout which we used to take to exhibitions when I was a member of the SKLR I was about 14 then.
The layout was quite well done and what I liked was the viaduct that ran around half the layout in a continuous loop, there was also a few bits of rolling stock which were quite well made, I used to scratch build engines for the layout and I did 0-6-2 Triumph a couple of times. It is my intention to build a similar portable layout but in 16mm scale which will help publicise the railway.

John

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:28 pm

cncmodeller:112933 wrote:Thanks Andrew,
I also was inspired by a 009 layout which we used to take to exhibitions when I was a member of the SKLR I was about 14 then.
The layout was quite well done and what I liked was the viaduct that ran around half the layout in a continuous loop, there was also a few bits of rolling stock which were quite well made, I used to scratch build engines for the layout and I did 0-6-2 Triumph a couple of times. It is my intention to build a similar portable layout but in 16mm scale which will help publicise the railway.

John
I think I know the one! I've never seen it for real, but if I'm right it featured heavily (including on the cover?) in a book on narrow gauge modelling, the first I owned on the subject. It was a fine little layout - I'd love to see something similar in 16mm!