Opinion on these..

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
stevenfitch
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Opinion on these..

Post by stevenfitch » Fri May 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Has anyone got any experience of these...

They keep popping up on ebay and i was wondering if they are actually ok or just cheap rubbish.

For N Gauge or OO indoors the plastic wheels would put me off straight away.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-PIECE-G-SC ... 1386652467

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-YES-THREE-G ... 31386652467
Computer Controlled Garden Railway.
Previously N & OO Gauge Indoors.

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Fri May 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Most of us certainly have past experience of the fallout that so often arises as a direct result of the strong feelings on both sides of the divide so often evoked by this rubbish, or alternatively this cheap source of excellent cheap kitbash bits and pieces. One forum completely collapsed due to the problems associated with the heated "discussions" and the dreadful threatening behaviour that followed, when these cheap imports first arrived on the scene some years ago and a boat or two was well and rocked.

Incidentally In some of the garden railway scales LGB "plastic" wheels and those produced by an certain Mr Binnie have been used for years by many thousands of repeat purchasers with little if any real problems. Depends on the actual meaning of the word plastic, the quality control of the manufacturing process and the popularity of the product as a whole. I don't think snob value actually comes into it regarding for example cost, but of course your mileage might vary.
Cheers

Roy H

stevenfitch
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by stevenfitch » Sat May 16, 2015 12:03 am

Oh dear!

I might just buy a single unit and if it turns out to be no good it will make an interesting abandoned line-side feature!

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Sat May 16, 2015 5:52 am

These seem to be the Newqida stuff. I bought a box of 4 coaches and reqauged them to 32mm. I used Binnie wheels on 3mm steel rod axles. It is probably better to replace the wheels even if you leave them at 45mm. The wheels they come with are rather brittle plastic with coarse treads. The quality of the plastic generally is not great, it is brittle I shattered a bogie when one of mine fell off the 60cm elevated section of my line. However I don't think the body work is any more susceptible to damage than old Faller e-Train stuff. If you treat them with reasonable care they seem OK, and they are cheap!

stevenfitch
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by stevenfitch » Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I think i'll give a few a try and see what happens. They are cheap enough to just turn into lineside scrap if nothing else