Zach Bond "Momentum Van" project

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Tony that's an interesting variation. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works. I think it still would be worth testing it even on your track, to see how your various engines cope with it and see the effect it has on slow running.

Lacking a proper track has prevented me from giving my wagon a decent test, other than on the workbench. I managed to get about a 18 foot run on the basement floor, with some curves at either end and a straight bit in the middle. I tried the wagon out with another weighted wagon behind it to simulate a train. It was promising: if you set the regulator just right it marches into the curves more purposefully and maintains a steady pace. On a long straight stretch, if it is given enough space, the locomotive is still able to build up to a fairly brisk pace, I think this will work best on a railway which doesn't have straight bits that are long enough to let the train build up a lot of speed. A curve here and there would control the average velocity pretty well, because it takes a long run to accelerate and if you could interrupt this with a curve, it would have to start building up speed all over again leaving the curve. Of course radio control would make that easier.

I think what I like most about the device is the long, steady acceleration it gives the train. If the locomotive does happen to stall on a curve, it doesn't build up steam and suddenly burst away again, it slowly and steadily chuffs away in a gratifying manner.

This has all got me curious about using the centrifugal brake from a rotary-dial phone, putting it on the other axle and then the wagon would not only provide momentum, but would limit top speed as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how others get on with this project; I am mildly frustrated now that I don't have a railway, I can't properly enjoy the benefits of this device or properly test it.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Guys. I've been following this thread with interest and i think that the Zecar must have had a few variations in it's build over the years.

The gears on mine are all metal.

The wheels were removed very easily by resting them on a small vice with the axle between the jaws and just gently tapping the end of the axle with a drift.

Unlike Keith's and Cheshire's excellent wagons mine doesn't have the support of axles boxes. The axles just run in the original Zecar chassis. It's had quite a bit of use since last September and seems to be holding up fine, saying that, my line has some tight curves but is generally flat.

Tony, having already seen pics of your Mamod Tanker Wagon, i really must make one of those, i will be very interested to see how it performs with it's latest mod.

After consultation with the esteemed Mr Bond during the construction of my MV the final weight of the completed wagon was 620g. This seems to be a good working weight.
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Yes, I seem to have the nasty cheap version!

Spent hours looking at gears/sprockets and have no idea what to buy so Keith as you have no railway I can test your van out for you if you send it my way haha ;)

Good luck with your builds.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:22 am

I hope you're not giving up! There must be a gear out there, or failing that, maybe you could use the flywheel and a chain drive to build something similar and better.

I briefly considered sending you my van, but then realized it wouldn't work on your railway anyway, being 45mm gauge.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Having followed this thread from the beginning I just couldn't resist the challenge! My Zecar arrived in the post this morning and I am very impressed with its construction, especially for the price.

Mine has extended axles which will protrude well past the wheel gauge and into axle boxes. I will only use the powered axle on the track with the other raised so that the wheelbase can be extended.
My idea is to scratchbuild a tender for my 'Billie' so it can be permanently attached for forward or reverse running.
Other projects must be finished first so there might be some slight delay in posting results.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Where did you purchase your car from Peter to get the longer axles?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:57 pm

I used the link you supplied on the first page of this thread!
Perhaps I was just lucky as there seem to be alternative designs out there!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks Peter, I did not buy from the link I provided although I should of now -sigh-

So to anyone else thinking of buying one of these do not use the supplier listed in Amazon as "otherland" as although cheaper it does not have the longer axles.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 am

Mine arrived today looks well made to me same as Peters, I also used the site you posted.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 am

Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:03 am

For those of you planning only one "powered" axle, I have found that performance is better with the equipped axle closest to the locomotive. I have no idea why this would be, maybe it's just the way I have it weighted, but that's what I have found. For some reason it has better traction. :?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 am

Keith S:110488 wrote:There must be a gear out there, or failing that, maybe you could use the flywheel and a chain drive to build something similar and better.
Two examples from Henner Meinhold of the East Devils Hills Modeling Group in Northern California

I just wish I had this skill.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 am

Rik, those look amazing, love to see them in action. The second one looks like it's been made from parts taken from a computer hard drive.
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 am

Peter Butler:110493 wrote:Having followed this thread ...
I to ordered a Zecar thanks to the mention on here, from otherhand on Amazon and my axles are around 60mm.

I to intend to build this in to a billy chassis for my up coming Riverdale coal fired billy. Looking at the roundhouse 4 wheel tender instructions I don't think its going to be possible to use the axles but thinking a chain drive, maybe from both axles of the tender to the zecar sat further up will do the job. Likely to pick up the tender kit at Elsecar Show in September.

cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Completed wagon

Post by cheshire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 am

This is the completed wagon, when it's sunny I will attempt a video.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Alan P:110506 wrote:The second one looks like it's been made from parts taken from a computer hard drive.
Yes, quite so. Apparently, the lever to the right adjusts resistance by moving magnets in or out of the space between the disks.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 pm

I to ordered a Zecar thanks to the mention on here, from otherhand on Amazon and my axles are around 60mm.
Can anyone else measure their axles please that have not cut them yet?

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Completed wagon

Post by robyholmes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm

cheshire:110508 wrote:This is the completed wagon, when it's sunny I will attempt a video.
That's a very good looking load, have you managed to get enough weight on the truck for traction?

cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

weight

Post by cheshire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:05 pm

The stationary engine is heavy, there is also lead under the wagon.

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: weight

Post by robyholmes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:08 pm

cheshire:110512 wrote:The stationary engine is heavy, there is also lead under the wagon.
Cleverly hidden then, great truck!