Festiniog Coach No.20

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Festiniog Coach No.20

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:57 am

Work has started on another bowsider coach with the intention of another thee. This one will be No.20 in its current form.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:13 am

Looking good, keep us posted!

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:08 pm

I will endeavo.ur too. Maybe slow progress as there are numerous builds on the go at the moment.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Lovely work, as ever. I don't envy you at all with those curved windows. I'm working on a Pickering brake at the moment (everything is nice and square) but making very slow progress due to working away from home at the moment.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:48 pm

I know what you mean about slow progress, but I'm sure the Pickering will look the works. I have drawings for NWNGR coaches and its on my list of builds but they are a long way off. Yep there is some work in these panels I now have three sides completed and working on the forth. The first always takes the longest but when complete acts as a template for the second. The challenge with the beading on this coach like with No.19 is the waist panels are not semi circular, they have a thee inch vertical so its steady filing.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Slow progress is my speciality! I'm on lunchbreak at work and about to disappear into my "secret workshop" (a spare drawer in a map cabinet housing a cutting mat, a Stanley knife and various sheets of ply!) to continue work on my Ashbury Summer Car - it must be getting on for a year since I started that!

Cutting neat curves is beyond me I think, I don't have the skill/patience, so I've started teaching myself CAD to laser cut those sort of parts. There's lots to learn so my NWNGR 4 wheelers haven't got to the cutting stage yet...

The WHR Pickering brake's lovely to build but, as I think I mentioned somewhere before, do watch the drawings, particularly where the lower part of the ends are concerned - I wish I'd consulted photos much earlier in the process!

All the best,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Andrew:108008 wrote:

The WHR Pickering brake's lovely to build but, as I think I mentioned somewhere before, do watch the drawings, particularly where the lower part of the ends are concerned - I wish I'd consulted photos much earlier in the process!  
I know all about that one, luckily I made up my own drawings, based around both photos and the Rockett drawings. So my ends should be correct, hopefully.
Back at home for the weekend anyhow, so might make a bit more progress.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Steamcoaster
Cleaner
Cleaner

Pickering Brake

Post by Steamcoaster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:21 am

Are there any copies of 16mm scale drawings available anywhere?

Cheers

Rupert

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi Rupert,
There is a book of 7mm drawings of the Ffestiniog Heritage stock available from the 7mm society. It is obviously too small but they can easily be adapted to 16mm scale.