Accucraft Axleboxes

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Accucraft Axleboxes

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:15 pm

I notice that Accucraft axleboxes are available as separate items from suppliers such as Track Shack. I just wondered whether anybody had any experience of using these in scratch building projects?

The reason I ask is because I'm considering using a set of the W&L axleboxes for my sheep wagon project. However, I asked a friend to measure up one of his Accucraft W&L opens for me, and it transpires that the depth of the solebars is 13mm, which is overscale. I was intending to use 9.5mm solebars on my model, which is closer to scale, but presumably this means that the Accucraft axleboxes won't fit. If I fit deeper solebars, the floor height of the completed wagon will be too high.

So I was wondering how easy it might be to cut down or reshape the top section of the axleboxes, that tucks in behind the solebars?

Any advice gratefully recieved :)

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:33 pm

I've used them in several projects. I like them, they are easy to fit square and run any axle freely. They even come with small set screws. If you want to cut them in anyway they are tough. I used a grinding wheel to shape a set up to my requirements. They can baulk up width wise. All my Andel models trucks have these on and even a Mamod guards van has them. If you want a photo let me know.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:00 pm

steamie1:106169 wrote:If you want to cut them in anyway they are tough. I used a grinding wheel to shape a set up to my requirements.
Oh dear...I was worried you might say that :( Unfortunately I only have basic hand tools available to me at the moment.

Looks like I'll just have go for the GRS W&L-pattern axleboxes then...trouble is, they're all out and apparently won't have a delivery for several weeks. Oh well!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:23 am

The Accucraft axleboxes are much sharper cast than some white metal ones I've seen elsewhere.

As you say they are 12.5mm deep below the sole bar, but trimming them to 9.5mm should still allow the original mounting holes to be used. You should be able to trim them to size using a hacksaw & hand file.

Chris Cairns

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Chris Cairns:106178 wrote:You should be able to trim them to size using a hacksaw & hand file.
Hmm...Ok then, worth a try. So how far apart would I need to set my solebars (for 45mm gauge)?

(Sorry, I know, I'm full of questions! :roll: )

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:52 pm

That depends on the stub axle length. Get the wheel set and axles and offer up setting the sole bare where you need it I'd say. Rest assured on the quality. Good luck.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:40 am

MuzTrem:106189 wrote: Hmm...Ok then, worth a try. So how far apart would I need to set my solebars (for 45mm gauge)?
At least some W&L solebars seem to have been 9 1/2" x 4" which scales out at 12.5mm in 16mm scale. I use the Accucraft W&L castings for my 3' gauge 4wheel wagons and use 1/2" x 1/4" wood for the solebars.

Best to get your wheelsets first, but I make my own and space the solebars at 61mm, which leaves about 0.5mm sideplay on the axles.

I use a standard underframe for my 4 wheelers and made a jig for holding the bits together and square while the glue dries. The write up is here.

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/abou ... highlight=

The axlebox castings are diecast zinc alloy with a brass or bronze bearing insert and the bearing is sized for a 3mm journal on the axle.

1/2" x1/4" scales out at the right size for a W&L solebar in SM45 and is also about right for Irish 3' gauge wagons in 15mm/ft scale, where it scales out at 10".

Something to watch is that some wooden wagon designs had a board along the end of the floorboards that hangs down below the floor. In elevation drawings this can give the impression the solebars are shallower than they really are.....

Regards,
Graeme