Welshpool & Llanfair sheep wagon

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Welshpool & Llanfair sheep wagon

Post by MuzTrem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:45 pm

I don't suppose anybody could supply me with drawings of this, could they? :)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:59 pm

PM sent

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:29 am

Note that Accucraft are soon to bring out a 16mm/ft version in a number of guises as well as kit to adapt the flat wagon into one.
Clearly I don't know what scale you want to model it in or whether you want to avoid RTR.  I have noted now that your railway is 16mm/ft.   :oops:
I would be interested in a drawing of one of the small sheep loading ramps that were located at many W+LLR stations.  These would make an interesting and compact scenic item for many narrow gauge models.

Good luck
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:57 am

I must admit, the Accucraft version is very tempting! And I've nothing against RTR in principle - I already have an Accucraft L&B open wagon on my railway. But there's two reasons why I'm going for a scratchbuild this time:

1. I'm a little bit strapped for cash at present. Trackshack's target price for the sheep wagon is £51. I'm hoping that scratchbuilding will work out cheaper.

2. I want a project to keep me busy over the winter months! Having built a coach in plasticard, I now want to try a scratchbuild in wood for the first time.

I should add that I don't expect to produce a perfect scale model - I want the drawing more to help me get the overall proportions right.

I should also caution that this may not be a quick project as life has an annoying habit of getting in the way of my garden railway activities, but I will keep you all posted :)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:57 pm

You might not have seen my recent scratch-build of a W&L sheep wagon which I posted on another thread. This is taken from the W&L book which shows a black and white photograph only with no dimensions. I had to base the size on a similar cattle truck which does have dimensional drawings.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Indeed, I had missed that! Thanks for sharing the photos, they're a very useful reference :)

Hope Mountain Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Sheep Wagon

Post by Hope Mountain Railway » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Photos useful for inspiration - and beautifully made. But just for the record, none of the W & Ll Sheep wagons had planks above the ramp and none had two ramps. Some had 5 planks and some had 6. Some had no ramps at all. I say this with some authority, as I have spent the last 6 months researching and drawing them with some great help from the W & Ll archivist.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:45 pm

You are absolutely correct in pointing out my errors. I made no attempt to model a prototype but simply to base my sheep truck on one I thought typical of the type.
The door thing is interesting as you can't see from the photograph whether there is more than one, however, I decided that my sheep should be loaded from my cattle dock and if the truck ended up facing the wrong way, this would not be possible!
None of my stock is prototypical but I'm generally pleased with the overall impression.

Hope Mountain Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

sheep wagon

Post by Hope Mountain Railway » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:12 pm

And a lovely job you have done too, Paul. Have you used wood or plastic? Looks like wood?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: sheep wagon

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Hope Mountain Railway:105653 wrote:And a lovely job you have done too, Paul. (Peter!) Have you used wood or  plastic? Looks like wood?
All of my models are made from plasticard but where appropriate woodgrain effect is made by scraping with a fine tooth razor saw blade in the direction of the grain. I have been working with wood all of my life and I find genuine woodgrain does not scale-down successfully and often becomes furry when paint is applied. Plastic stays put once the desired effect is achieved and needs no further attention other than weathering.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Well, it's taken a while but my sheep wagon now exists! See my blog for a picture:

http://misbournevalleyrailway.weebly.com/blog

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 pm

A bit late I know, but for anyone else's info there is a drawing of the sheep wagon in James Boyd's book Narrow gauge railways in mid Wales page 258.

John