Growing Collection!

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Growing Collection!

Post by pippindoo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:46 pm

A few photos of my rapidly growing stock. Most of the stock are IP kits, many still needing extra work, but I'm getting there as time permits. The line has passed the planning stage but construction is still to begin, though any work in the garden recently has given consideration to the railway infrastructure. The other sets of photos may be of interest too!....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipps_trains/sets/

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:29 pm

I had a Lawley and they run so well. great to have 2 safety valves as well. Strong safe reliable. The gas tap takes a while to get used to being so coarse, but minor. Charity shop! Dare we ask how much? Great hobby hope you get building soon.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Some really lovely paint jobs there, looking forward to seeing all that lot in some garden pics...

Did I miss something? What's the charity shop story?! Surely not a loco???

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:32 am

Those locos look familiar... ;-)
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Growing Collection!

Post by pippindoo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:10 am

Yes, the Lawley did indeed come from a charity shop! I had to accept it was sold without any sort of warranty, and wait half an hour before a price came back from wherever, but even though I then agreed to pay a bit more than what was 'suggested' , it turned out to be an absolute bargain at less than £300, including some CDs and a set of tyre levers! The small ACCUCRAFT label was missing off the box, (yes, it was boxed too!),  which precluded anyone doing a quick internet search for further info but I did expect to be struck by lightening as I left the shop! Another charity shop bargain recently has been a near mint copy of the fabled GARDEN RAILWAYS by Ray Tustin, picked up for £1! And yes Tony, you will indeed recognise the locos, and I'm very pleased with your excellent work regards R/C and repainting! Cheers!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks Col ... my pleasure! I have to say I think the Lawley looks great in that paint scheme.

Your charity shop story is interesting, and it is always worth keeping an eye out for people selling stuff when they don't really know what it is. We have an auction near here once a month and the vast majority of the stuff they sell is from house clearances, so lots of furniture but they also have some interesting "smalls" from time to time. For example, the auction held yesterday included a load of boxed Hornby O-gauge tinplate.

And about 15 years ago I was lucky too to acquire a steam loco at a bargain price. A friend of mine who knows his model railways called me one evening to tell me that he had just been to his local model shop and had seen a loco for sale there. He knew enough to know it was a Lady Anne, so I asked him to go and buy it for me, which he kindly did. That evening I visited him to collect my purchase, which turned out to be a poorly-made Lady Anne kit, but it was complete and it worked. It has subsequently been "through the works" and is now a regular performer on my line, and the only loco I have that is easily regaugeable to 45mm.

Oh yes, how much did I pay for it? My friend paid the shop £90. I gave my friend £100. Bargain!

Oooh, forgot to say: A few years ago I had an email from a chap who had been to an auction and had bought two long-stored 16mm locos for £120 and asking if I would be interested in checking them over and getting them working again. They turned out to be an Archangel VofR "Prince of Wales" 2-6-2T and an Archangel "Rheidol" 2-4-0T.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Too true Tony, I'm always scouring charity shops, flea markets etc and the net for bits. One of the other sets of photos show my O gauge collection. That started when the wife rang from school, she's a teacher, and said someone had brought in 'a big train set' for a stall at the Summer Fayre. Did I want to have a look? It was an Corgi Bassett Lowke Royal Scot with 3 ACE TRAINS coaches! £100 well spent. Ker-ching!! Regarding the Lawley, one of my West Coast colleagues remarked it was very similar to the experimental Doncaster blue applied to some express passenger locos which made me realise, all my 16mm stock could be in a form of BR colours!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Great story, thanks - I'm always on the look out too. £300-ish sounds just right - a fantastic bargain without feeling guilty for ripping off a charity, perfect!

And yes, I thought that about your blue loco and blood'n'custard carriages too. I never did see Tornado in blue this time round, but I'm hoping that the blue King will put in an appearance at Bristol TM sometime soon.

Talking of liveries, I saw L150, the LT maroon prairie at the excellent AVR gala today - I've always thought that looked pretty naff in magazine pictures, looks great in real life though...

Cheers,

Andrew.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 am

Another bargain picked up yesterday in York, a box of 8 MAMOD straights, couple of broken tabs but they'll make display bases, sold to the salivating chap for £5!