Gramodels Chassis Brake Ends

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Gramodels Chassis Brake Ends

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Having read mention of these conversion kits online, but only finding long distance photos (no close ups) I'd been intrigued as to what these kits actually contain.

However at £16:95 each, nearly twice the cost of the excellent Binnie Engineering kits they are designed to modify, I could not justify the cost just for a look-see.

So when some Gramodels kits appeared on eBay I tried my luck and got 4 x No.160 Skip Brake End kits for less than the retail price of 2.

As they were not bought direct I cannot confirm if these are the current kits as supplied, or rather seconds, as I'm not impressed with the quality for that retail price. The resin used is quite brittle, the chassis is slightly bowed which soaking in boiling water followed by clamping to a flat surface did not really correct, there are some air bubbles under the surface, a far bit of flash to remove, several mounting holes needed drilling out, and the chassis sides where the axle boxes fit are very thin compared to the Binnie chassis (part of the side separated when I fitted the first axle box, and I've had to use a model knife on another cut-out to avoid a repeat). The white metal fittings have a lot of flash as well requiring filing off.

My original requirement was for 3 bolster brake end chassis's for a planned rake of lumber wagons, so 3 of these skip brake ends will be converted to bolster chassis's. I discussed this with Peter Binnie at the Llanfair show, outlining the components I would need - axles, wheels, axle boxes & coupling pins. I bought the axles at Llanfair and Peter recommended I send an e-mail request and he would respond with a PayPal invoice for the required sprues. I paid this invoice and 2 days later the sprues dropped through the letterbox.

For the 4th skip brake end I bought a complete Binnie skip kit to convert.

This is the Binnie kit converted with the white metal fittings just loose fitted for the photo. I now need to glue fishing weights into the chassis, glue the white metal fittings in place, and paint up the chassis & axles prior to fitting the remaining axle boxes. I'll also fit a brass rod to connect the operating crank to the brake blocks.

Only part I'm unsure how to fit is the operating crank below the brake standard.

There is a recessed hole which suggests it fits like this.

Here is a braked Hudson chassis that I photographed recently from the trackside at Llanberis Station.

Hoping to get this chassis completed by the weekend to join my rake of industrial stock for exhibiting on 'GlenDreich', the 16mm NGM West of Scotland Group's portable layout which is attending the Greenock Model Railway Show.

Chris Cairns

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Can't spell "brake", either!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:35 pm

I've been contemplating knocking up a skip brake end but not sure my modelling skills are up to it so this is quite interesting and I look forward to seeing the finished article. I agree about the price though.

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:54 pm

MDLR wrote:Can't spell "brake", either!
No, that is to accurately explain what happens when you try to straighten the chassis - a couple of cracks appeared around the axle box slots when I clamped it down to a flat surface.
sstjc wrote:I've been contemplating knocking up a skip brake end but not sure my modelling skills are up to it so this is quite interesting and I look forward to seeing the finished article.
This is where I first read about the Gramodels kits but the paragraph before the 1st braked chassis suggests it is scratch built but looks more like the Gramodels one - the yellow bolsters further down have a different brake standard - http://wfvr.webs.com/projecthudson.htm

Chris Cairns

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:10 am

Thanks Chris. I'd forgotten about http://wfvr.webs.com/projecthudson.htm

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:23 pm

MDLR:104810 wrote:Can't spell "brake", either!
According to the 'Goods & Not So Goods' website, the spelling 'break' was in common use until about 1870.
See the paragraph 'Braking a Train' on http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rsto ... tock2f.htm

Phil
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077