NWNGR waggons (yes that is the correct spelling!)

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

NWNGR waggons (yes that is the correct spelling!)

Post by JMORG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi all,
With the plans for scratch building "Moel Tryfan" now underway (acquiring parts and acquiring CAD) I have also thought about suitable stock to put behind it! A few simple NWNGR waggons would be great if I could find some... :( I suppose some Ffestiniog slate waggons would be a good start, but does anyone have an idea of where I could get some proper NWNGR stock?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:53 pm

IP Engineering, they do some coaches and waggons that are pretty close to scale. Or else, buy yourself the new Bernard Rockett book of Welsh Highland Railway drawings and go scratchbuilding, but beware the drawings with errors on them, the buffet car and the Pickering brake are the ones I've found so far...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 am

laalratty:104440 wrote:IP Engineering, they do some coaches and waggons that are pretty close to scale. Or else, buy yourself the new Bernard Rockett book of Welsh Highland Railway drawings and go scratchbuilding, but beware the drawings with errors on them, the buffet car and the Pickering brake are the ones I've found so far...
Or Jurassic models, think their goods range is the same as IP's - the 2 vans, the brake vans and the larger coal waggons. Did NWNGR use two 2 "g"s or was that a later FfR thing?

I've got the Rockett book too - interesting to note that the mistakes seem to be the same as previous ones, think he's just re-drawn the 7mm Assoc drawings on the most part. The WD wagons with inside bearings are an interesting touch... Still, a useful book, I'm looking forward to having a go at the inspection trolley at some point...

I've been contemplating scratchbuilding NWNGR/WHR waggons for a while now, I think running gear will be a challenge - the axleboxes are quite distinctive, I'm wondering about learning to cast in resin and doing it that way. Some sort of practical version of their buffers/couplings will be required too...

Let us know how you get on...

Andrew