Accucraft factory scrap bins clearout at Llanfair

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Accucraft factory scrap bins clearout at Llanfair

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Although I run on 32mm track, our industrial railway group has an indoor 45mm layout. Earlier this year I obtained an unused Accucraft Ragleth which I converted to single channel R/C to run on that layout. However I only have a couple of the dual gauge Mamod rolling stock and was in the market for some good dual gauge items (IP Engineering used to do a nice set of re-gaugeable wheels in the past).

So when my attendance at the Llanfair Garden Railway Show was confirmed I was keen to see if I could obtain anything useful from the Accucraft factory scrap bins clearout. I was exhibiting on the adjacent “Rhydypendryn” layout and watched the stock being unloaded. However I got distracted swapping components over to a replacement boiler that Mamod had brought to the show for me, so missed the opening of the clearout. I arrived just before 10:15 when there was still quite a bit of stock although all the IOM 4 wheel coaches had gone. Whilst there was several wagon/van bodies which would have made interesting lineside dioramas I was looking for potential dual gauge runners and ended up with 4 items.

I’ve heard or read online that this sale was somewhat of a rugby scrum but whilst I was there it was much more civilised than the 2 Member to Member Sales at Peterborough that I've attended. Only minor problem I had was when I laid my 4 items down on the table whilst extracting my wallet from a zipped pocket and had to stop someone trying to take my W & L Brake Van.

Ian Pearse was doing a great job of explaining what the item's status was to potential customers, but was very busy. So whilst I paid for my items I just asked what size axle bearings I needed for the W & L Brake Van.

Here’s what I got.

1. Probable development model of the W & L 1 plank match truck (£15)

Interesting to see how the detailing has been added to this basic model, including the yellow bolt heads. It has 45mm wheels mounted in plastic axle boxes (with bearings), is missing 1 safety chain, and one circular face on a chopper coupling was missing (now replaced with a shaped piece of plasticard). I've obtained a set of W & L 32mm wheels and intend to leave it unpainted to show the development stage.

2. Test model of the L & B 4 wheel van (£15)

The roof has yellowed & the gray sides faded. There are no data markings & there was no chopper couplings (just the back mounting plate from one on one end – I've obtained the L & B chopper couplings, just need some screws/bolts to mount the 2nd one). The wheels are interesting and I guess an earlier attempt at insulated wheels.

These were very wobbly running and initially I was going to get replacements. However on taking the van apart I found 2 of the axle box’s were misplaced (one was loose on the horn guide, and the other had been pushed up to one end of the horn guide), so after gluing them back in the right place the van runs OK on 45mm track. Just need to get a set of L & B 32mm wheels.

3. Unfinished W & L Brake Van (£25)

Unpainted, missing some of the detailing, no window glazing, no chopper couplings and 32mm wheels only but no bearings in the axle boxes. I’ve obtained W & L chopper couplings (just need mounting screws/bolts), axle bearings which need gluing in, and need to get a set of W & L 45mm wheels.

4. Stock R19-1C L & B Open Wagon SR Brown, Data only with 45mm wheels only (£25)

I've obtained a set of L & B 32mm wheels.

At the evening steam, beer & burgers session at the WLLR Llanfair station I was told that Accucraft had found more stock to bring on the Sunday. We joked that they had ordered the factory cleaned out and would be parachuting them into Llanfair. In the end they turned up after opening on the Sunday. There was some chassis-less bodies on one end of the stall, several used books/magazines, 2 small plastic boxes with some components and some stock wagons at the other end.

After my running session on “Rhydypendryn” I walked across to the stall. The bodies had gone, the plastic boxes contained some coupling rods & regulator handles, and the stock wagons only had 45mm wheels. I asked Ian if he had any 32mm wheels and finding a set of W & L 32mm wheels I bought an unboxed R19-3A W & L Open Wagon Light Grey (No.17) with both wheelsets for £35 plus a couple of the regulator handles at £1 each.

I watched the stall during the day and with 3 wagons remaining in the afternoon I asked Ian if he would give a discount for buying the remaining 3, and ended up with an unboxed R19-2C L & B Goods Van L&BR Grey (No.7), a boxed R19-1E L & B Open Wagon L&BR Grey (No.10) and unboxed R19-3C W & L Open Wagon GW Dark Grey (No.34161), all with 45mm wheelsets only for £80, and took a couple more regulator handles as well. I've since obtained 32mm wheels for these 3 wagons.

I just need to get some storage boxes now to safely transport this dual gauge rake of rolling stock when visiting other garden railways & shows.

Chris Cairns

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 pm

A good haul there, and some pieces of Accucraft history by the looks of it.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Watch out for different length L & B axles

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:00 am

Originally these wagons were going to get their first outing on our 45mm indoor layout next Sunday. However an e-mail invite to the SMET 'Visiting Engines Weekend' saw the plan change and I went through the process of changing the wheelsets to 32mm for running at Methven yesterday.

Started off on an L & B 4 wheel wagon. Removed one axle box, removed the 45mm axle, inserted a 32mm axle and replaced the axle box only for the 32mm wheels to fall out. WTF! Turns out that there are two length axle's of L & B wheels available, 63mm & 77mm. Whilst either length axle works OK in 45mm, the smaller length axle in 32mm is not compatible with the L & B 4 wheel wagon & 4 wheel van.

My working solution to the shorter axle was to mount nylon washers as spacers, ending up with 16 washers fitted per axle.

There is nothing obvious in any of the online listings for Accucraft Z3 - Wheels – L & B 25mm DIA, Gauge 'O' to state the axle length. I guess the different axle lengths may be because of the bogie L & B rolling stock.

I had no problem changing the W & L wheelsets.

Chris Cairns

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Yesterday was our last Steam Sunday for this season so I got to run 7 of these wagons on our indoor 45mm layout. Picked up a set of Z3 L&B 32mm wheels from a fellow volunteer, so just a set of Z6 W&L 45mm wheels required for a complete dual gauge rake. Fitted axle bearings to the W & L Brake Van axle boxes - one set painted up and re-fitted so far.

With the end of my full size steam volunteering over for this year I've now got a suitable rake of wagons for attending the WOSG 16mm Track Days, and looking to use a Club 55 ticket to attend the Dundee Model Railway Show to run on the EOSG 16mm's new modular indoor layout.

Chris Cairns