I didn´t see this coming...

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

I didn´t see this coming...

Post by St.Michael » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello all.
It´s been some time since I posted news from ØVJ, up north.
Much of my railway building has been in direction of a nordic feel to it. But I kind of fell in love when I saw the Pullmann coach, and thought that of course, I can do what I want on my rw. I have bought two sets of them, and am planning to build three  ;)
To day I tried Pullmann nr2 with nr.1 that I built earlier this sommer. And to my big surprise, just after two month, the nr.1 had changed colour :evil:  I know it´s a cardboard coach, but that rapidly change in colour I could not predict. And it is possible to make prints with more durable colours than this.
On the following photos the new built is in dark "raw umber" and the first one has become light brown.. I actually don´t know what to do to stop the bleeching prosess ( Just drive it in the dark?)

After starting to build the coaches I´ve learned that a Pullmann train visitied scandinavia in the 70´ And I also found them i ng in Wales, so all in all it wasn´t to far out anyway...
Regards to all
Michael

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Regardless of the colour they still look very much the part. And by coincidence, last weekend I was on the WHR for a quick look at the trains.

ImageWelsh Highland Railway by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:02 pm

https://plus.google.com/photos/10417317 ... 5943483313

It's like my bus I stored it in the garage, it delaminated and rippled with moisture! God help us if it rains! Then there is oil! I won't be building in card again but like the good man before  says "the coaches look the part." Enjoy them for what they are my friend. A mushroom of modelling! Quick to rise and form, a wonder to behold and then, to fade and melt away.

Glad to see you using them as intended.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 pm

steamie1:103941 wrote:https://plus.google.com/photos/10417317 ... 5943483313

It's like my bus I stored it in the garage, it delaminated and rippled with moisture! God help us if it rains! Then there is oil! I won't be building in card again but like the good man before  says "the coaches look the part." Enjoy them for what they are my friend. A mushroom of modelling! Quick to rise and form, a wonder to behold and then, to fade and melt away.

Glad to see you using them as intended.
Buses? I use the OB Bedford from Sunstar. Metal can rust, but it doesn´t delaminate :shock:

Image004 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:17 pm

God afternoon.
First of all, kandnwlr I like your picture from Wales. I´m absolutely going there me too, just don´t know when.
I have now started the construction of my Pullmann nr. 3 which is going to be built in a different way.. I guess you can spot the changes?

More to come soon..

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Ops, there dissappeard four month  :? since I last wrote about my Pullmans.
Some of you might have noticed that I have been trying to produce some strange stock in 7/8 scale, lately. ..But here I am back on track: My third Pullmann wagon is taking shape, and as you can see it shall be equipped with balconys in each end. I am building with an inner vision of a long train with my Lady Anne in front. The sun bleeching was / still is a big shock for me, but this last coach is a copy that I had made for me at my work. I hope it will resist bleeching much better ( If this works I think I have a rescuing plan for my first two coaches)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Nice! :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Very nice!! I like the way you have included the interior details as well as the exterior.

Rik
Last edited by ge_rik on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:06 pm

I´m working with the platforms, which are deviations from the original model. I´m using acrylic and meccano to get rigidity all the way out to the buffers.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:42 pm

And now I have come a bit further. Balconys, acrylic roof, and then wet-grinding paper on top.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:56 pm

That looks Great.
Regards Graham.

maxi-model
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by maxi-model » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Might something like this help with your UV problem. here's the source http://www.marabu-inks.com/press-pages- ... no_cache=1
The product that may best suit
http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Marabu ... ml/ITM4586
There seem to be plenty of suppliers if you search under the product brand name marabu uv spray. Max.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 pm

That's made up into a nice looking coach.... you have made a good job of that particularly with your improvements.
The roof material must have made a big difference to the rigidity and strength of the coach.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:05 am

Thank you for some good advice. I´m gooing to get some of that uv-varnish. After having built three Pullmans in card, I do have a hope to use them for some years.
Michael

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:26 pm

After some sloppy building (I´m getting kind of tired of cardbuilding now...) I finally got a chance to take the wagons out on the line to take some picts. As you can see they now have three different brown colours. I belive that the last one with the balconys will stand the uv-rays in a better way (It´s a copy)... Time will show..

And here posing with a red coach and my diesel "Torbjørn"

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Fantastic pics of the coaches in the snow. Almost makes me wish that I would go outside.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

That's a great idea with the roof, well done.

maxi-model
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by maxi-model » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:38 am

Make sure you get the UV protection varnish not the varnish that is fixed by UV light. Same company makes both, it can be a bit confusing. The stuff in the spray can is the right one. Max.